Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:21:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Malifaux Terrain Board  (Read 9012 times)

Offline Brandubh

• Bookworm
Malifaux Terrain Board
« on: January 18, 2018, 07:02:47 PM »
In the process of getting back into Malifaux and I hate playing on an empty table and not terribly thrilled with 2d
terrain because it just doesn't look quite right. Enter a Not-So-Local Friendly Gamestore that was having an end
of the year sale. I'd look at some of the Plast Craft stuff online, but couldn't justify the price. Until now.
The first board is going to be a modified version of this one, allowing for difference in materials used.

Offline Brandubh

• Bookworm
Re: Malifaux Terrain Board
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 07:12:41 PM »
I don't normally post "in process" pictures, but for once I thought I would. Here's the initial setting up of
the terrain boards, I'm using 1/4" MDF as the base and the Plast Craft Tower and Sewers Walkways are the
pieces shown.
Notes:
The instruction sheets for the Plast Craft stuff leave a little to be desired. ALWAYS dry fit and double check
The color printing is only on one side if you get the ready to assemble pieces.  you are warned.
Superglue holds real well on these.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 07:16:46 PM by Brandubh »

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 07:25:27 PM »
Off to a great start! Even if I don't play the game myself it's always nice to see a great board in the making. So please do continue post your progress pics :)

Offline Brandubh

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 01:56:41 AM »
Update:
Work well under way, using LEMAX Landscape Accents O Scale Cobblestone sheets for the roads and I am
using Black Brick Wall or Street cardstock sheets glued on top of Foamboard for the sidewalks. Hardest part
is making sure that the center strip stays the right width to let the boardwalk terrain sit correctly.

I'm really hoping that I have enough of the cobblestone....

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 10:31:41 AM »
Looking forward to seeing this.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 10:42:27 AM »
Looking good so far.
 8) 8)

Certainly worth following the progress on this one, I reckon.
 :D

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 01:07:40 PM »
Nice start to the project, BUT you may want to delay too much work on this until you see how Wyrd change things to suit the plastic terrain tiles, scenery and buildings they have announced.
Not being ones to miss a trick when it comes to getting more money out of the same fans I am pretty sure something will be different.

http://themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/134090-wyrdscapes/

Offline Brandubh

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 05:47:54 PM »
Nice start to the project, BUT you may want to delay too much work on this until you see how Wyrd change things to suit the plastic terrain tiles, scenery and buildings they have announced.
Not being ones to miss a trick when it comes to getting more money out of the same fans I am pretty sure something will be different.

Thank you for the link, but after viewing the Wyrd Preview it doesn't seem to invalidate my board at all. This looks to be a luxury item for more than a few people.
3'x3' area? check.
Modular? Theirs: check. Mine: Nope.
Buildings? check.
Going to look good when completed? I hope so.
Price? Hmmm... I'm fairly certain my board will be less expensive. I'm keeping a running total, and I noticed that even though there were calls for the pricing, Wyrd hasn't given that up yet. That said, I will almost certainly buy the Wyrd Boards as soon as they are available.

-Brandu
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 10:47:11 PM by Brandubh »

Offline Brandubh

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 03:39:23 AM »
Roads done, Sidewalks are edged, most of the buildings are.. well, built. some of the extra terrain scattered for the picture.
Just need to build the fences, walls and shrubbery and then finish off the dirt and grass. I do like the looks of the Pillars
and the back section is still in decision process...

« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 03:41:04 AM by Brandubh »

Offline tomogui

• Scientist
  • Treading softly.
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 05:13:16 AM »
This table looks great! Really nice combination of pre-made kits with home-crafted touches. Full of character.

Offline DS615

• Scientist
    • Fandango Alpha
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 02:50:59 PM »

So what if they change it?  Do they come to your house and take your rules away?
I don't understand the idea that a game company changing things suddenly invalidates you playing the game you always played.
- Scott

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 10:34:55 PM »
So what if they change it?

I assume you don't know much about the way Malifaux works then.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 04:39:51 PM »
I assume you don't know much about the way Malifaux works then.

Well, I dont.

What stops you just using whatever version you like?
It always puzzled me when GW killed the Old World, and some went absolutely ballistic about it and threw their toys away etc, why people just did not carry on playing whatever edition they preferred (there were enough of them) with like-minded people.

Why could you not simply do this with Malifaux?

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 05:04:07 PM »
Fantastic looking board so far.

Well, I dont.

What stops you just using whatever version you like?
It always puzzled me when GW killed the Old World, and some went absolutely ballistic about it and threw their toys away etc, why people just did not carry on playing whatever edition they preferred (there were enough of them) with like-minded people.

Why could you not simply do this with Malifaux?

I think in a casual gaming situation with a few friends that works but if you want to play pick up games with relative strangers, your broader gaming group all make the change or you want to get into any kind of tournament play you're going to have to make the move to the new version of a game. It's like the whole oldhammer thing, it's great if you have people around who also play 3rd edition for example but if you walk into a gaming club wanting a pick up game you're probably not going to find it.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2018, 05:19:09 PM »
I think in a casual gaming situation with a few friends that works but if you want to play pick up games with relative strangers, your broader gaming group all make the change or you want to get into any kind of tournament play you're going to have to make the move to the new version of a game. It's like the whole oldhammer thing, it's great if you have people around who also play 3rd edition for example but if you walk into a gaming club wanting a pick up game you're probably not going to find it.

Fair enough.
I can see that.

I guess I am lucky that I neither play tournaments or need to play complete strangers, but sympathise with those that have to.
Still, these strangers can become friends over time and there are plenty of ways of finding like minded people these days with the magic interwebs.
If you want to continue with a system, maybe it would be worth seeing if there are any people in your area who would be interested.
Most people do not really 'have' to be held to 'ransom'.
 ;)

Thanks for replying.
 :)