Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:52:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686552
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Malifaux Terrain Board  (Read 9011 times)

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
Re: Malifaux Terrain Board
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2018, 07:20:51 PM »
Fair enough.
I can see that.

I guess I am lucky that I neither play tournaments or need to play complete strangers, but sympathise with those that have to.
Still, these strangers can become friends over time and there are plenty of ways of finding like minded people these days with the magic interwebs.
If you want to continue with a system, maybe it would be worth seeing if there are any people in your area who would be interested.
Most people do not really 'have' to be held to 'ransom'.
 ;)

Thanks for replying.
 :)

It's probably a bit different as well if you're dealing with an old game that might have a bit of nostalgia attached to it. Someone once said old games never die but I'd add that they do need a bit of effort to keep going and even then you might still be sat on your own.  ;)

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2018, 07:30:44 PM »
Looking good so far. I've never paid much attention to Plast Craft, and certainly not their Malifaux stuff. I really like those raised walkways though!

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2018, 07:55:49 PM »
Fair enough.
I can see that.

I guess I am lucky that I neither play tournaments or need to play complete strangers, but sympathise with those that have to.
Still, these strangers can become friends over time and there are plenty of ways of finding like minded people these days with the magic interwebs.
If you want to continue with a system, maybe it would be worth seeing if there are any people in your area who would be interested.
Most people do not really 'have' to be held to 'ransom'.
 ;)

Thanks for replying.

That applies pretty much to any game, if you and your immediate group like it as it is then sticking with what you have is great (says a serial OOP rules holdout).

The difference with Malifaux is the way the system is designed. It is effectively a 3d version of a deck builder CCG. You "boost" your characters in game with decks of cards.
Each character is only as good as the interplay with other masters, minions, artifacts and locales around it.
Which makes it fiendishly complicated and prone to a lot of max/min builds.  Its fans love it (one of the most engaged fan bases of all the current top games), certainly here in the local store.

My original point is that Wyrd have terrain advantages built into the core game, but some of the game characters gain more from this than others. Now that there is an bespoke line of terrain being done I think it is likely that specific characters may gain or lose depending on what scenery does in the game and how that affects force builds.

It may be an idea to see exactly what new rules/rule interpretations come out as a result now having "official" scenery.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2018, 09:17:13 PM »

My original point is that Wyrd have terrain advantages built into the core game, but some of the game characters gain more from this than others. Now that there is an bespoke line of terrain being done I think it is likely that specific characters may gain or lose depending on what scenery does in the game and how that affects force builds.

It may be an idea to see exactly what new rules/rule interpretations come out as a result now having "official" scenery.

Now I get it.
I did not realise that Malifaux works quite like that.

Thank you for clearing that up.

Offline Brandubh

• Bookworm
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2018, 12:29:54 AM »
Malifaux is set up so that you pick your Define and Place Terrain first, while deciding which Faction you are using is actually the third decision made, Strategy and Schemes come later and then you Hire and Reveal Crews. It's been this way for a long while. Yep, certain masters are better in certain Terrains (and especially for certain Strategies) this is where having multiple crews from a single Faction comes into play. Is it also a marketing ploy? Wouldn't surprise me.

My faction is Resurrectionists: Strategy is Turf War, I can field McMorning and his crew as this is right up his alley. Stake a Claim on the other hand may find it better to use Molly.

-Brandubh

Offline Brandubh

• Bookworm
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2018, 04:24:43 AM »
Took a little time out to do some much needed painting. Gaki's Lawrence, Mohammed and Curleigh.
Not too happy with the join line on Mohammed, but will pay closer attention on next set. Lots of putty work on these minis.
Yes, those are Hanging Trees in the background. The Terrain Board lives...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 11:15:40 PM by Brandubh »

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2018, 10:18:47 AM »
They look good, well worth the effort. The muted colour scheme is very effective.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2018, 09:22:56 AM »
Nice job on them.

Still looking forward to your terrain build, but of course you do need to have something to fight on it.

Offline Brandubh

• Bookworm
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2018, 08:50:00 PM »
Latest update on the terrain now that I finally have a weekend to work on it some.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2018, 08:54:10 PM »
Great progress.
This is turning into a feast for the eyes.
 :-* :-*

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2018, 07:22:39 PM »
Looking good.

Offline Brandubh

• Bookworm
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2018, 04:26:27 AM »
Getting there...
The board itself is 98% finished, with just some clean-up to do on a few parts (mostly the  sidewalks)
The Terrain pieces are coming along nicely, but I still need to do some edging and highlighting, especially on the wood surfaces.
The Mausoleum came out pretty good, having tried a new style on painting it. It looks slightly cartoony when viewed as a standalone piece, but it works on the board.
Had issues with the "Downtown Building" s that piece is on hold for now.
First picture is the advertisement pic that started me on the whole board. No, mine is not an exact duplicate, but it you can definitely see the main elements in it.   
Also added a couple of pictures of Seamus and Crew and the quickie Corpse Markers

ps: Anyone know where to find a wagon like the one in the advert pic at top almost center?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 03:25:33 PM by Brandubh »

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2018, 09:29:21 AM »
Great looking table :)

Sarissa has a nice selection of carts https://www.sarissa-precision.com/Carts___Wagons/cat1603369_2504955.aspx although no exact match.

Offline Juxt

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2018, 09:53:33 AM »
Fantastic looking board! I bet it's a joy to play on

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2018, 06:04:34 PM »
Nice looking board and corpse markers.