Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:16:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690587
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for Info/Illustrations of the Imjin War  (Read 2026 times)

Offline Syfax

• Lurker
Looking for Info/Illustrations of the Imjin War
« on: January 19, 2018, 01:27:02 AM »
Hi everyone,

I am looking for some reliable info on what kinds of weapons, armour and (siege) equipment the three armies involved in the Imjin War used and what the usual army composition would have been.

I have a general picture about the Koreans and the Japanese, but I want to make sure I'm on point with this and I have not found much about the Ming.

Please feel free to link sources and drop a comment if you have some expertise in this historical period.

Thanks in advance!

Japanese:

- Mostly Teppo and Yari Ashigaru infantry supported by samurai infantry. Not sure whether Nanban style brestplate armor was used on infantry or just for important personnel or not at all at this point in time.

- Little to no cavalry. Horses only as a means of transport.

- Little to no siege. When attacking, infantry would assault fortifications with ladders.

Koreans:

- Mixture of Archer and Spearmen levy troops with light/cloth armour. Padded armour with metal studs on elite infantry, Lamellar armour on important personnel.

- Frequent use of light and heavy cavalry using bows/lances/flails.

- Hwacha and Cannons mostly used in naval battles and castle defense, not so much in field battles

- Warrior Monks and Guerilla troops

Offline olyreed

• Mastermind
Re: Looking for Info/Illustrations of the Imjin War
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 10:07:59 AM »
The Korean cavalry were all but wiped out early in the war,

If you can find a copy of the killer katanas Korean invasion supplement it has a wealth of information in it, including siege engines, I am just starting to paint up some Koreans at the moment,

Offline Shipka

• Mastermind
    • RussoTurkishWar1877
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 03:53:09 PM »
This book maybe of use

Offline Syfax

• Lurker
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 04:08:09 PM »
The Korean cavalry were all but wiped out early in the war,

If you can find a copy of the killer katanas Korean invasion supplement it has a wealth of information in it, including siege engines, I am just starting to paint up some Koreans at the moment,

Thanks for the heads-up. Sadly the only copies I've found are located in the USA which makes them rather expensive to obtain here in Germany.

This book maybe of use

It's already on its way to me. Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow :)

Offline Wansui

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 11:22:44 PM »
Koreans:

- Known for their archery prowess.

- The majority of the army consisted of untrained peasant conscripts that were unarmored or poorly armored(cotton/paper).

- Elite professionals(gapsa) that served on the northeastern frontier and were well versed in mounted combat.  Artwork and archaeological excavations suggest lamellar may have been more prominent than brigandine at that point in time.

- Brigandine suits can be blue,green,red,orange or yellow. Helmets bowls were made from steel or lacquered leather(black/red) and furnished with horsehair tassels and tridents.

- Autonomous militias collectively known as the Righteous Armies active throughout the war,some were branded as rebels by the Joseon court.

- During the interbellum,Southern Chinese instructors drilled Korean soldiers under Qi Jiguang's infantry tactics.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 11:32:05 PM by Wansui »