Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:17:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 6 mm Napoleonics - Modified Lion Rampant  (Read 17057 times)

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
Re: 6 mm Napoleonics - Modified Lion Rampant
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2018, 05:38:10 PM »
I should think one of the primary problems formed troops have with skirmishers is being shot at while not being able to see much damage inflicted against them. But that's another problem and not one that a simple game model needs to worry about. Do your skirmishers evade?
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2018, 08:55:29 AM »
Not specifically.  If they get threatened then you have to move them back.  If they are charged then there is the normal mechanic.  The way it works at the minute they are very much a disposable asset - they go out and do a job to allow you to line up your assault.

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2018, 02:40:36 PM »
Thinking about skirmishers some more I feel that this method actually models the reality as well as can be expected (or at list drill books of the time). 

Skirmishers would operate with a reserve of men about 100 yards ahead of a battalion with the actual skirmish line another 100 or so yards ahead of them.

If you imagine the skirmisher base actual represents the location of the reserve body of skirmishers and the actual skirmishers who are shooting are operating 100 yards beyond this location.  Allowing them to shoot at one range band closer actually represents them being physically closer to the enemy.  The enemy can't shoot back very well since the target is so small therefore don't get the benefit of the reduced range.  When attacked Skirmishers are already assumed to fall back on their reserve position.

This could fall down when defending a physical barrier - eg an uncross-able river or edge of a town.  Defending a built up area is a whole different abstraction though so I'll deal with that then.

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2018, 10:56:53 AM »
Whilst waiting for the minis to arrive I have been making some cardboard buildings for built up areas.  Found this very handy webpage with a bunch of Bavarian looking buildings.

https://www.grundschule-pretzschendorf.de/en/Our_village/paper_models.html

I have printed them out at 2/3 scale (so on A5 instead of A4) which gives door heights of about 6 mm.  This means they don't take up too much space but are still sort of in scale with the minis.  They are quite fun to build.  I have been mounting the main building on cereal packet and have switched to a thinner card for the more complex roofs.  I will post up some pictures if anyone is interested in them.

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2018, 07:49:31 PM »
Great link, thanks.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2018, 04:42:40 PM »
I will be following this link, as it is very interesting!
Good luck with your project!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2018, 09:07:16 AM »
Experimented with some roads and a river over the weekend.  The initial batch of figures have arrived as well so have based some of them up onto magnetic strips.

In line:

In column:

You can also see the card buildings.  I need to pen in the white cuts on the roofs on a couple of them still.  The roads are decorators caulk piped onto a sheet of grease proof paper, flattened out with a finger, roughed up with a broken cocktail stick and dry brushed sand colour.  The river is clear silicone sealant, again flattened out with a finger.  Unfortunately it was too cold and windy at the weekend for any undercoating so painting the figures will have to wait.

On another positive note I have persuaded my family that our holiday destination should be Bavaria this summer.  Just need to work out an itinerary that requires us to drive from Landshut to Regensburg to check out the lie of the land for the opening stages of the 1809 campaign ;)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 10:06:05 AM by jon_1066 »

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2018, 09:38:16 AM »
Really like the river! That is some realistic meandering going on there, we need more of that in miniatures.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2018, 09:51:08 AM »
Your table looks very real from above and the road and the river are inspirational!
Thanks for sharing!

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2018, 09:26:38 AM »
Well I've been grinding along slowly with this.  Still waiting for the weather to change to be able to spray undercoat the troops so have been continuing to work on the scenery.  More buildings including a church, more roads and two woods.  Went with 1" mesh panel cut out and legs folded down for trees.  I then attached some hanging basket liner to the mesh using PVA then glued my clump foliage to the hanging basket liner in the same fashion.  I am pretty happy with how they have turned out.  They are tall enough to fit figures underneath.

With regards the rules I have moved away from the combat resolution of Lion Rampant somewhat.  I have endeavoured to model more realistic musket ranges and effects.  So with each range band expected casualties double but you can only fire at close and point bank ranges during the close combat resolution sequence.  Artillery can still fire at those ranges so become very deadly but again do little at long range.

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2018, 02:18:16 PM »
Made a graveyard since most major Napoleonic battles seems to feature one.

Obviously needs painting and some flock/sand, etc.  It's made from plasticard, matchsticks and some cardboard.

Also been experimenting with individual trees

Basically the clump foliage impaled on galvanised nails / tacks.  Need to paint the nails and may add some flock to the tree for a bit more oomph.

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2018, 08:21:47 AM »
Finally managed to spray some undercoat with the warmer weather and paint my first 6 mm figures.

Front

Back

Took a few trial and error mistakes plus painting the wrong part of the gun as the barrel (doh!).  I undercoated them grey then dry brushed white.  I then did the boots, back pack, roll, hat, flesh, cuffs, gun and gold in that order before finally picking out the straps in white.

I originally did the flesh first but found I couldn't paint the rest of the figures without many accidents.  I also had to downsize my brush.  I started with a 1 which proved too unwieldy so changed to a 0.  It also took a while to get into the flow of painting 6 mm.  I discovered that the best thing was to do the same set of brush strokes on each figure in turn rather than concentrate on painting one item or colour on each figure.  This meant the strip didn't need manipulating continuously.  Eg I would paint the side of the hat on each figure, then the front on each, then the rim on each, then under the rim on each.  Hopefully the next stand won't take 2 hours!

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2018, 11:33:14 AM »
They look good.

I discovered that the best thing was to do the same set of brush strokes on each figure in turn rather than concentrate on painting one item or colour on each figure.  This meant the strip didn't need manipulating continuously

This kind of method is great for smaller scale figures, and doubly so when they are the same pose on a strip base.

You will probably find you can drop some of the details as they won't be visible at gaming distance.

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2018, 08:09:25 AM »
Thanks

Well the next stand took just under an hour so getting quicker.

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2018, 08:12:24 AM »
I've now painted up the artillery.

The gunners

Guns and limbers

These are painted Foundry triad ochre - just the shade and top colours.

Horses

I went with a mix presuming that the artillery train will be scratching around for horses once the campaign gets going.

Drivers

A limber and horse team on a base

Still need to add more ground cover to hide the integral base.  Also need to decide on the base size.  I might cut it down to 25 mm wide so two cannons match the 50 mm wide infantry and cavalry bases.