Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:31:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686661
  • Total Topics: 118119
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Grandad and the boys - Greek Myths- Terrain items added  (Read 5781 times)

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
Grandad and the boys - Greek Myths- Terrain items added
« on: January 19, 2018, 06:51:15 PM »
One of my favourite "Classic" is the film "Jason and the Argonauts" and I also like the TV version.  Our children and grandchildren have been suitably indoctrinated.  Another favourite of the young ones (including grandad) is "One Million Years BC" and that might influence later additions. 

So my main project this year is to search for The Golden Fleece (and much more) depending what I find in the Lead Pile or cheaply at shows. 

Jason (Foundry and a Plastic one) with his crew.  A few more will be added later as they are a bit short of missile troops.

And in the bottom of a box was a resin hull base that I bought many years ago in a bargain bin of miscasts which with some card, paper, dowel, tinfoil and a Greek or Roman figure found in a charity shop became the "Argo"

Fully Crewed the Argo has taken down its mast and sail ready for action.

The stern with the statue of Hera and two plastic Greeks converted to make Ancaeus (axe) and Poeas (Champion Archer)

And, of course, The Golden Fleece

In the lead and plastic pile are more Greeks, Some Persians that will become King Aetees of Colchis, his army and citizens as well as Amazons and other humans, demihumans, gods, demigods and monsters. 

« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 10:24:23 PM by dadlamassu »
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
Re: Grandad and the boys - Greek and other myths
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 02:17:16 PM »
Great plan! Eagerly following. Rules? Of course, I'd suggest 7th Voyage. :)

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 02:56:33 PM »
Great plan! Eagerly following. Rules? Of course, I'd suggest 7th Voyage. :)

Thanks.  We have our own club rules for fantasy skirmishes or we might use a modification of the Lord of the Rings/Hobbit Strayegy Battle Game because we are all familiar with those.  I'm not familiar with 7th Voyage Rules.

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 02:57:57 PM »
Yes, I'll look forward to watching your progress as well. Games set in the Greek mythological world are some of my favourites, and I wonder, sometimes, why it isn't more popular. After all, you have some of the world's best stories for inspiration, an unparalleled array of heroic types to either use or model one's own heroes after, and about the finest selection of foes to be found anywhere: who can't love harpies, minotaurs, gorgons, Grey Women, cyclopses, giants Laestrygonians...add in Harryhausen's creations and you're set.

Love how your figures and ship have turned out. I'm also curious what rules you intend to use. 7th Voyage is indeed great; Typhon is well worth a look also. Keep us posted on how you get along.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 05:53:06 PM »
Love how your figures and ship have turned out. I'm also curious what rules you intend to use. 7th Voyage is indeed great; Typhon is well worth a look also. Keep us posted on how you get along.

A short version of our rules are here http://www.morvalearth.co.uk/Fey%20Isle/Short%20Rules.htm

This version was used about 15 years ago and the rules have moved on since then. I am now making the Greek character and monster lists as the base rules are fine as they are for most games.  If you want the as they are PM me an e-mail address and I'll send a word copy of the base rules and spells.  Later in this thread I'll offer up the Greek Myth additions.

Offline Richard in Sachsen

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 04:22:40 PM »
Those look great and good for motivation. My wife gave me four packs of Foundry Argonauts for X-Mas.... oi! so many projects!
You go to war with the figures you have, not the figures you wish you had!

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
The main enemy force is that of Aetees, King of Colchis and his forces. I looked at the Foundry figures but I really wanted a more diverse force than was on offer there. I have no idea what the historical inhabitants of Colchis looked like and so looked for figures that would look a bit like those in the classic film. First I looked in my Lead Mountain and then I looked online and settled of Warlord Games range of Achaemenid Persians backed by some Black Tree Design figures.

Here, from left to right are some of the main characters for our games:

King Aetees, Priestess of Hecate, Medusa (one of many guises I have), Medea as High Priestess of Hecate, two of the king's servants.

The Green Regiment

The Blue Regiment

The Archers led by a Ral Partha amazon now re-roled as one of the Princesses

the Hydra (one of two that I have)

Children of the Hydra
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 11:58:19 AM by dadlamassu »

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Looking good.  Followig with interest.

Offline Catullus

• Bookworm
    • My blog
Re: Grandad and the boys - Greek Myths - Jason and Argonauts
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2018, 12:51:33 AM »
There's some good stuff here. I like what you did with the boat in particular. I had a chat with a few of my archaeologist friends last year and, for what its worth, they also thought that Achaemenid Persians were a good choice for the inhabitants of Colchis.
Bloggy blog blog: www.nerdlard.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: Grandad and the boys - Greek Myths - Jason and Argonauts
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2018, 02:25:09 AM »
Wonderful cast on a nice little project!
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
The Centaurs appear in many stories and these come from a wide variety of sources.

The unicorn (Reaper Bones)

The Brass or Bronze Bull (Reaper Bones)

Lamiae

The Gorgons

Petrified victims

Inspired by Harryhausen - a statue picked up on holiday in India and an animated version.

Another statue that I have had for years (right) and another bought on ebay as the animated version.

A couple of Greek animated statues - Artemis

Athena

This might be Sekhmet?

To add some extra excitement and perhaps to impede the players we have added some civilians and other folk to our collection.  The models come from a wide variety of manufacturers and some are repaints of old figures so that they fit in with the rest of the collection.

Ladies first - the servants, slaves and some warrior types (there are some very old figures in this lot).

Townsmen, servants and slaves.  Most of them are Black Tree figures.

The upper and middle class as well as a priestess or two.  Not sure where the priestess on the left came from.

A variety of adults and children some are relatively new though there are some vintage Minifigs, Garrison, Asgard, Citadel and Rose (probably others too).

Priests, Priestesses and Sooth Sayers
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 08:19:37 AM by dadlamassu »

Offline Emporium

• Bookworm
What a colourfull project, my doughter love greek mythology as well, maybe you gave me an idea.....

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
Thanks for all the kind words.  On the work bench are a Chimera and some Black tree infantry.

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
Really lovely project. Looking forward to seeing more