Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 05:39:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690405
  • Total Topics: 118329
  • Online Today: 618
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Recommendations sought: Undead in 28mm?  (Read 3530 times)

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
Recommendations sought: Undead in 28mm?
« on: April 20, 2009, 10:57:20 AM »
Hi, guys -

My wife and a few friends are wanting to play "War of the Ring", and as I'm a Tolkien fan, I thought I'd give it a shot. One of the units I'm interested are the "Marsh Spectres", who can be fielded by a couple of the "dark armies". These are the only three miniatures that GW currently makes for the unit, and I'm hoping to flesh them out a bit. I'm not exactly great with converting this kind of thing, so hoping to find miniatures that are already made for the job:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1080039&rootCatGameStyle=

I like their "Army of the Dead", range, but it's definitely a different style of figure, and it's for a different unit type in the game, anyway.

I'm trying to find some suitable 25/28mm Undead, and so far I've had mixed results. Was wondering if you might recommend some of your favorite ranges?

These would need to be appropriate for Tolkien, so they'd have to be Ancient or Medieval types rather than modern undead (although a ghost is a ghost, so if there are some good ranges of "modern ghosts", they might just work, too).

I've looked at the Frothers "Undead Showcase", but it's a bit dated.

-Doc

« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 10:59:52 AM by Doc Twilight »

Offline Le matou rouge

• Mad Scientist
Re: Recommendations sought: Undead in 28mm?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 01:15:11 PM »
I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but Otherworld miniatures probably makes the best skellies on the market :

http://www.otherworld.me.uk/udseries.html

And in other hand, the E Bob ones are very versatile :

http://www.ebobminiatures.com/products/fantasy.htm

hope that helps,
Matt
We are the Village Green Preservation Society
We are the Sherlock Holmes English Speaking Vernacular
Help save Fu Manchu, Moriarty and Dracula
Ray Davies

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 05:48:56 PM »
Ral Partha do a good selection of fantasy undead - there's probably something in there would do:

https://www.connectstores.com/ralpartha/sp_30741.html

Maybe this guy:

I assume they have a seperate US store for you guys to order from, but they are normally great minis and reasonably priced. Excellent service too (at least from the european store).

Have a look anyway. I always find half a dozen things I didn't know I wanted.  :)

Offline leutenantbrittan

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 05:56:10 PM »
Hi!

It might be worth trying Reaper Miniatures as theyve got tons of undead goodness Although they are bigger than the LOTR stuff

Also Black Tree design may have some suitable stuff (their zombies might work quite well as they are quite small but armoured and still gripping weapons...)

http://www.blacktreedesign.com/uk/home.php?cat=2402

Heres a quick pic of some I did ages ago:

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 06:06:45 PM »
Thinking about it, what about the Fir Bolg Flesheaters from Celtos, as carried by Brigade Models?

http://www.brigademodels.co.uk/NoFrames/CLT/CLTFir%20Bolg.html

Really nice figures.

Offline myincubliss

• Mad Scientist
    • dead lead project
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 10:32:17 PM »
Thinking about it, weren't the marsh specters dead warriors from past battles? In which case, you could probably get away with repaints of warriors of gondor/elves, or if you're cool with converting bend up the arms, gouge eout some holes, maybe knock off a couple head swaps, and BAM! Marsh specters!

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 10:36:32 PM »
Hi, everybody.

Awesome suggestions on all counts.

Brittan, those zombies you did are fantastic! My only concern is the continued issue with BT customer service, but I may have to give it a chance, as they have a very good look to them.

Bob - Celtos is an excellent thought. I hadn't really looked much at the Flesh Eaters, but they do have a very good, archaic look to them. Excellent. I'll give them a closer peek. Ral Partha (now Iron Wind Metals) does have a US store, but you can't really search it as such, so it's sort of a pain - I was looking for the "Lord Soth's Charge" set the other day, and it was a nightmare! Maybe I can order direct from RP Europe. I'll check it out.

Definitely some stuff to think about here.

-Doc

« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 10:42:05 PM by Doc Twilight »

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 12:48:13 PM »
Hi, everybody.

Awesome suggestions on all counts.

Brittan, those zombies you did are fantastic! My only concern is the continued issue with BT customer service, but I may have to give it a chance, as they have a very good look to them.

Bob - Celtos is an excellent thought. I hadn't really looked much at the Flesh Eaters, but they do have a very good, archaic look to them. Excellent. I'll give them a closer peek. Ral Partha (now Iron Wind Metals) does have a US store, but you can't really search it as such, so it's sort of a pain - I was looking for the "Lord Soth's Charge" set the other day, and it was a nightmare! Maybe I can order direct from RP Europe. I'll check it out.

Definitely some stuff to think about here.

-Doc

GW's Nightmare Legion, oop but a number of lots currently on evilbay at present.

The Commander
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.