Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:10:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686468
  • Total Topics: 118101
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Escape From Tarkov (plausibility for tabletop/rules ideas)  (Read 2286 times)

Offline MajorTalon

• Scientist
  • Talon Company!
Escape From Tarkov (plausibility for tabletop/rules ideas)
« on: April 22, 2018, 10:14:38 AM »
So, I don't know how familiar you guys here might be with Escape from Tarkov. It's essentially a spiritual successor to S.T.A.L.K.E.R, albeit without mutants, artifacts and radiation.

Here's a link to the lore for the "Russia 2028" universe that it takes place in:
https://forum.escapefromtarkov.com/topic/23076-the-lore-mega-thread/

Long story short, players in the online game are members of one of two PMC organizations that were operating in the city of Tarkov, in the Norvinsk region of Russia when..... "Something" happened. So far, nothing has really been stated about what that something was, though the city was largely evacuated during this event, though some citizens banded together into groups of scavengers, known as "Scavs".

Here are some screenshots of the game to give a general idea of what terrain could be like:

So, ruleswise, I could see Spectre Miniature's ruleset being very suitable for the setting, though possibly with some light experience gain being added in for possible campaigns.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Escape From Tarkov (plausibility for tabletop/rules ideas)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 02:21:38 PM »
Most of Tarkov plays out as a single player/ small squad based game right? I suppose you could represent it with Spectre, having small groups of PMC going up against Scavs. The with Spectre being that it quickly becomes deadly, so if you're playing with a limited number of models the games may be short. That's how Tarkov itself plays of course, though I'm not sure if that'd translate as a "fun" experience.

Perhaps having a constricted area where it would be difficult to come across other players, or an element which prevents you from knowing where the other player is until you see them? Having the two players moving anonymously would be difficult, however, with one side being the AI that could be easier. Even having the AI spawn at random and remain in static positions until they or the player sees them could work (i.e. having the board split into quadrants with pre-defined spawn areas which have a chance to spawn scavs based on a dice roll. The player can make a search check, like they do in Spectre, each turn to see if there's any enemies / valuable loot in the area each turn).

Thinking about it, I already have most of the things you'd need to represent the game with my modern Eastern European collection. Maybe stick in a few American guns perhaps. Oh and those green glow sticks that're everywhere as well...

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 04:04:32 PM »
Hunh... I thought EfT was multiplayer, a Russian-flavored Call of Duty with a nod to the STALKER/METRO aesthetic.

IIRC, the tutorial was a series of short, single player missions. After that, it was all mob Run-N-Gun. I'm too old for online twitch gaming and dismissed it as not my cuppa. Guess I'll have a check again.   

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 04:41:11 PM »
Perhaps Osprey's Black Ops could work? If I recall right it's got stealth rules intended for one side to try and pull off a mission quietly while the other one's patrolling around to catch the sneaky team.

Oh and the videogame still seems to claim it'll be an online one.

I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 05:35:47 PM »
Tarkov is multiplayer, though in that its you against everyone else. "Winning" isn't predicated on all the other players being dead, so you can form alliances, however I don't think the player to player communication is too great, so any groups are formed pre-game by friends. So its as much of a multiplayer as many of the survival games out there, where its more of a death match with alliances of convenience.

It seems to have more going for it than Survarium did. That was sold as being a multiplayer successor to S.T.A.L.K.E.R., and correct me if I'm wrong, but in reality it was just you being dumped in a small map to play team death match. At least Tarkov has looting elements. Though it'd be nice if Tarkov was less predicated on the PVP side of things and had opportunities to just walk about without being shot from a mile away (S.T.A.L.K.E.R. had breaks from all the action), but that's not what the devs are going for. A pity that vehicles and mounted weapons would probably break the balance as well (that and the maps would make those difficult, not just in size, as there are larger ones, but the amount of intervening junk on the roads).

Given that its a fairly down to earth setting, Spectre seems to fit the bill, along with covering its lethality. I believe Spectre has rules for AI too, meaning you could play it as just you against a bunch of scavs. That ruleset in particular with its aiming to incorporate militia style forces may fit Tarkov better than other modern skirmish games which tend to focus more on just the Special Forces , or at least Spectre has more going for its militias.

Hmn, I may well have a go at running a Tarkov style game at some point. I'd already modified other systems for similar scenarios, so Spectre probably wouldn't be too much of a leap. It'd just need some sort of loot system, though even that could just be objective tokens of a random value which you total at the end of the game (with each model only being able to carry so many based on its equipment - i.e. if it has a backpack / shopping trolley).