Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 06:55:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Who's playing 10mm Fantasy or Warmaster  (Read 14406 times)

Offline modiphius

• Librarian
    • Modiphius
Who's playing 10mm Fantasy or Warmaster
« on: January 21, 2018, 12:42:24 PM »
I've got some ideas for a project so interested so see who's playing in this scale. I've been collecting the old GW Battle of the Five Armies, Warmaster (which is a little bigger or BotFA is smaller than 10mm), as well as various 10mm Ancients and fantasy lines.

I've found there's not a lot of choice for 10mm ancients/fantasy buildings or fortresses - what there is feels a bit bit for the scale. So if you're playing in 10mm scale let us know what you're doing with it?
www.modiphius.com
Achtung! Cthulhu - Terrifying WW2 Roleplaying Setting
ONE WAR - New miniatures system for Achtung! Cthulhu

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: Who's playing 10mm Fantasy or Warmaster
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 01:03:53 PM »
When Warmaster first came on the scene the club I was then with took it up with great relish.
I painted a Dwarf force, played two games, bought a lot of skeletons to provide opposition,
however a few of the club soon worked out how to win and interest waned.
They have been 'on the shelf' since then. I got them down last year when a fellow LAFer expressed interest in
purchasing Warmaster figures, in the end he did not. This is (yet another) 'to be completed' project.
At the time my lovely wife bought me (from a pet store) a fish tank ornament, which with a little work became
a ruined castle suitable for 10mm base camp. This Christmas I hinted at another piece, suitable for 28mm.
My 'hinting' was not very good, as I got another, though different, ruined castle suitable for 10mm !!!!!!
Could this be  natures way of getting me back into Warmaster?

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 03:04:34 PM »
10mm Fantasy is the main stay of our gaming group. We all have original Warmaster armies, often of huge sizes, and several of us have expanded our armies (both in units and number of armies) the first round of expansion was inspired by Kings of War, and we have added other stuff from various sources (Pendraken's Warband, LoTR, more recent GW, Historicals, etc).

Photos of my stuff are
here for older WM stuff  http://www.kerynne.com/games/WMElf.html
and newer stuff here  https://fantasticalarmies.blogspot.co.uk

Rules wise we moved away from Warmaster; we tried Hail Caesar for a bit (with Fantasy mods, which were available on Yahoo Groups); Kings or War - pretty much using the 28mm unit footprints, filled with hordes of 10mm figures; Irregular Wars - great rules, but didn't scale to mass battle; and currently we are using home brew rules based on 40mm square bases, which ticks all the boxes for us.

While we have many rulesets that we play (frankly too many) we always get a number of 10mm fantasy games in during a year.

Fortifications wise - we don't tend to use these too much in our games. Which is a shame, one member of our group has a large amount of the Kallistra Castle, which is great to have, as towers and bits of walls can be used. I have a Roman Fortified Camp from Baggage Train, and a North African fort from Total Battle miniatures. But these tend to be used more as scenario than within our games.

Have you seen the mdf castle from Supreme Littleness, looks very flexible and nice.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 03:08:21 PM by fred »

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 10:58:03 AM »
In the picture below you can see almost all the terrain I have for 10mm:

But we normally only use hills and forests in our battles:

We also played BOFA, but once we played it a couple of times I sold all the minis as they were smaller and of plastic:

We usually play once or twice per year or every two or three years now; not much but there are so many games and rules to play that we do not have much time, and also our interest in Warmaster has fade a little. We also tried HC and now currently playing Art of War.
This thread has reminded me that I still have to paint some Polar Fox blisters I bought two years ago to finish my 2k Orc army:

If you're interested, you can see some reports of Warmaster as well as the 10mm gallery in my blog: http://javieratwar.blogspot.com.es/

Cheers,
J.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 11:04:55 AM by blacksmith »

Offline MattW

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 08:40:16 PM »
A mate and I did up some 10mm armies- playing KoW with scale reduced by 2 or 3 times, if I remember right. Unfortunately, it kind of fizzled out. Playing on a coffee table was appealing in some ways, but it's very cramped, and I sold mine off for other things. 

Is this project of yours personal or professional? I'd definitely get back into 10mm if someone produced minis that I like- the Pendraken/Kallistra ones just don't really tickle my fancy.

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 05:33:43 AM »
I have thought about getting into 10mm fantasy but have hummed and hawed over figures etc, hence bugger all has been done! :)

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 11:42:56 AM »
I have a not quite started project to do 10mm dungeon crawl/skirmish games.

I have the figures (some old Warmaster and some newer ones whose name escapes me). For dungeon scenery I'm thinking either about the nano hulk scenery from Honeybee Works or scaling down down some of the fat dragon 2d tiles I have. 3d printing is also rolling about in my head as a possibility.

I have a couple of the old resin buildings that GW did at the time of Warmaster (fairly sure it was them). I also recently backed the Cities of the Black Scrolls kickstarter for more 2d scenery. 2d is not as satisfying as 3d, but I'm thinking more skirmish level stuff than army battles, mainly for space reasons.

I'm just about to pick out my next group of figures to paint, so perhaps it's time to actually start this project ;D

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 12:26:23 PM »
For 10mm Dungeons have a look at Pendraken, they offer a very nice resin dungeon and a number of dungeon monsters too.

For 10mm Fantasy Magister Militum are always worth a look - they have expanded their ranges significantly recently, and have lots of core fantasy stuff, but also plenty of unusual stuff.

Pendraken and Kallistra as already mentioned - its worth noting that Kallistras ranges and Pendraken's fantasy ranges are bigger than most other 10mm ranges, probably 12mm.  Pendraken's historical troops are true 10mm. Pendraken have recently aquired the very nice TB Line models, and are working to get these back into production

Warmonger have a very nice range of Landsckneckts

Old Glory have medieval troops

Trolls under the bridge have various troops

Polar Fox have Orcs, Trolls and Knights

Laran Miniatures (on indiegogo as evil men) have a range of chaos/ evil men (surprisingly enough!)

Copplestone (now through North Star) have lots of LoTR stuff, and their 15mm ranges offer interesting Ogre sized figures.

I also often use 6mm or 15mm stuff, Splintered Light have lots of very nice stuff and their creatures are fairly scale neutral.

So there are a lot of manufacturers out there - it can take a bit of hunting around.

Offline modiphius

• Librarian
    • Modiphius
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 11:07:01 PM »
Hey guys loving the pics of the collections out there, rules wise I've been trying some different ones - shout if you've tried these I'd love to hear your feedback:

Mayhem - great set of fantasy mass combat rules that uses polyhedral dice - for example your melee is maybe a d8 - roll the dice and risk it, or take the average of 4 as your fixed result, maybe your move is a d10 - move 5 or risk it to get over 5. Lots of rules for sieges, etc etc. Army building is super easy.
https://bombshell-games.com/mayhem/

Mortem et Gloriam - technically an ancients system but they have some fantasy lists. Custom dice and card deck, seems to be causing a stir in the ancients community and it's used for upwards of 28mm scale but it's perfect for 10mm. You can use it for solo and more.
http://www.thewargameszone.org/62/The-Ancients-Zone-Mortem-et-Gloriam

Of the two Mortem et Gloriam seems to be actively supporting the community whereas Mayhem seems like a dusty gem that is worth revisiting. I played out a pretty similar battle with both and both had it's pros and cons - haven't quite decided which I prefer. I haven't gone back to warmaster as yet as I think there's so much more to be done with rulesets and who doesn't like trying a new system...!

Has anyone found any other sets suitable for 10mm?

One thing I want to do is convert the solo rules we're developing for Fallout Wasteland Warfare to work for mass combat units and I think it might work - each type of unit has a behaviour card and if I test it will do a battle report for you. I've yet to see an AI wargame system that actually follows objectives without a ton of lengthy rolling on tables - shout if you have!

I did pick up some small castle walls - 6mm scale from http://www.levenminiatures.co.uk/pages/castle.htm and they look much better for 10mm though i do like these desert castles http://www.totalbattleminiatures.com/fortressanddefence/10mm/northafrica.html

I may well be considering doing 'something' with 10mm scale - for example I've seen how Battlefront have converted their 15mm main troops in to pvc plastics and I know we could get a 'lot' of 10mm lines of infantry in a similar mould at a scale to match the old warmaster. Then do the big creatures and buildings in resin, etc. It's still a fun project but who knows. Would you want PVC sprues for 10mm units if they were the right price?

I'll do some shots of my collection this week - I tend to collect stuff that 'looks cool' and create a narrative for why they might be in a game. I picked up some Persian ancients recently at Reading Warfare (they will be a far of kingdom that sends aid) and another Republican Roman force is going to be the last legion from the besieged city of Londinium. My plan is to do a narrative series of missions with a small force of the leader bases moving around trying to gather allies, making diplomatic rolls, dealing with smaller ambushes (special events), gradually acquiring units and then facing a larger battle. I particularly love story based wargames (as you might guess) so my goal is to create the type of wargame we just dive into where the story isn't just a bit of text at the beginning of the stats.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 11:09:37 PM by modiphius »

Offline MattW

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 01:42:01 AM »

I may well be considering doing 'something' with 10mm scale - for example I've seen how Battlefront have converted their 15mm main troops in to pvc plastics and I know we could get a 'lot' of 10mm lines of infantry in a similar mould at a scale to match the old warmaster. Then do the big creatures and buildings in resin, etc. It's still a fun project but who knows. Would you want PVC sprues for 10mm units if they were the right price?

Yes, a thousand times yes. However, it would depend on how easily the details would translate to that medium. I can guess that you wouldn’t be able to get Warmaster levels of detail, but as long as you could get some I’d be in for a bunch of them.

Have you tried Pendraken’s Warband system?

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 08:34:08 AM »
I was very keen on 10mm but with my favourite range stalled and such a long wait for the Eureka Hawkmoon figures I have flogged off most of my stuff. Plus the old eyes aren't up to it now.
By the way I noticed that Eureka have just announced the first pack in their Hawkmoon range.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 09:06:14 AM by swiftnick »

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 08:59:50 AM »
For dungeon crawling Pendraken's is quite good:

To play solo games there is Rally Round the king from Two Hour Wargames. Check this blog: http://talomir.blogspot.com.es/
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 09:08:04 AM by blacksmith »

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 12:32:46 PM »
Plastic 10mm figures would certainly be interesting. The only thing that tempers my enthusiasm is that I already have 19 fantasy 10mm armies. So justifying a new one is hard. As is finding a new one that is different.

Offline modiphius

• Librarian
    • Modiphius
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2018, 01:18:47 PM »
Plastic 10mm figures would certainly be interesting. The only thing that tempers my enthusiasm is that I already have 19 fantasy 10mm armies. So justifying a new one is hard. As is finding a new one that is different.

As I have a lot, agreed it would need to be something we need but also something popular for new customers to want.

One thing I wanted to mention is I love the look of the BoFA plastic regiments - they 'look' more like massed ranks of figures that feels right for this scale, whilst I find some of the warmaster figures are too spread out - a good example is archers where they are typically individual figures and you don't get the feeling of massed ranks. Anyone else have a preference or found one or more suppliers who's 10mm troops are better at giving that big regiment feel?

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2018, 05:33:26 PM »
I suppose all the figures that are cast individually can be put on as small or large a base as you like with as many or few miniatures as you desire - and if cast in spacious strips, cutting those up to place them closer together should work too.

I fairly recently joined a 10mm Warhammer Fantasy/9th Age project, on Facebook under the name Minihammer. Basically using any 10mm figures you like to play the aforementioned rules, halving all the distances. Warbases now has a special page on their shop with all halved bases (12.5x25mm for cavalry for example). Given that the models are scaled down more than the bases, they're certainly spacious, but games can be as small or large as you like. After some absence, it also feels good to once again work on a Warhammer army, especially one I was never able to collect at the time (Kislev, using Pendraken's Renaissance Polish figures, among others). Once I have a bunch done, I could imagine getting some small gangs for stuff like 10mm Mordheim too - acquiring the necessary scenery won't take up nearly as much space in 10mm.

As for scenery companies, some model railway scale should work - is it N scale?
~Ad finem temporum~