Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:45:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Who's playing 10mm Fantasy or Warmaster  (Read 14362 times)

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: Who's playing 10mm Fantasy or Warmaster
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2018, 09:54:16 PM »

I painted up a starting force, save for the knights, which I never got to. Had some fun, but I got burned out converting 100 empire flagellants into diseased flagellants and painting them all (count as Marauders). 10mm proved to be even more work/inch than 28mm figures. I didn't get the savings I needed to make it worth it. I left the project with some great WIP stuff in a box. I stratch-sculpted this great unclean one (after a Stephen Tappin illustration) that is still among my best work.

I think with 10mm (and smaller scales) you need to focus on painting units, not figures, and this can take some getting used to. While its possible to paint 10mm figures with lots of shading and details (and there are great examples shown on LAF) this can't be seen at playing distance. Working out how to get units on the table, that look good at playing distance in a reasonable time frame is the key. And this is a different skill to painting 28mm figs. As with most things, with practice it gets easier and faster. I can turn out 10mm units quickly now, much more quick than I used to.

I commend your dedication to converting so many figures! Especially for such a useless unit as Mauraders...

Fantasy does seem to enjoy more generally agreed-upon rulesets for small scale than sci-fi. Recent research has led me to discover that there aren't many popular options for sci-fi, which is a shame. With an emphasis on shooting one could argue that sci-fi benefits from mass-battle rules for small scale more than does fantasy.

Epic (and its many variations) is probably the go to set for Sci Fi. We got a bit fed up with the fiddliness of Epic and I wrote a cut down version that we are enjoying playing. A lot of the cutting down was on unit profiles that are often far too complex for no real gain in Epic.

Offline thenamelessdead

• Scientist
  • I've made a huge mistake...
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2018, 10:13:15 PM »
Just had a look at my copy of Epic Armageddon. Perhaps it could work as a free-setting ruleset. The army lists/points system seems a bit prescriptive but might work I suppose. According to the book we could look forward to a new Capitol Imperialis in 2005!

Offline modiphius

• Librarian
    • Modiphius
« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2018, 01:20:26 AM »
So after a couple of weeks of musing, are you any closer to working out what you want to do?

Well the John Carter of Mars Kickstarter hasn't left a whole lot of time for musings, but I've just acquired some more painted forces for... you know... when ... anyway they'll be needed! ;-)

Seriously though my main goal is to the make fantasy wargame ruleset that we can all enjoy solo but is great for vs and narrative games. Our Fallout Wasteland Warfare ruleset is going to lend some really great tools on the solo and narrative side and I've been developing a way to play a serious of battles (imagine a major battle lasting several days) that captures more of the spirit of being part of a huge engagement.

I'll try to post some more thoughts soon, and as soon as the KS is over I plan a big battle to test some ideas and will share some pictures.
www.modiphius.com
Achtung! Cthulhu - Terrifying WW2 Roleplaying Setting
ONE WAR - New miniatures system for Achtung! Cthulhu

Offline MattW

• Librarian
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2018, 12:03:43 PM »
Solo play sounds really great, especially because I’m moving cities soon!

Just a shame you have to sleep, eat, etc, as well as run the Kickstarter and everything else.  ;D

Offline modiphius

• Librarian
    • Modiphius
« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2018, 03:29:40 PM »
Solo play sounds really great, especially because I’m moving cities soon!

Just a shame you have to sleep, eat, etc, as well as run the Kickstarter and everything else.  ;D

I know right...! Still wheels are in motion devising the next steps. I will do a call out for testers once I get the basics together.

Offline modiphius

• Librarian
    • Modiphius
« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2018, 12:46:27 PM »
Just acquired another set of the Battle of the Five Armies set - i really do like the scale of the infantry units in this box as it looks much more like large ranks of infantry. Now I'm currently looking at some 6mm castle terrain which I think looks much better with this scale. Will aim to post some intriguing pictures this weekend...

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2018, 03:22:00 PM »
Just acquired another set of the Battle of the Five Armies set -

In the nicest way possible... DAMNYOU!  I'm alwayslooking out for a copy and I've NEVER been able to get one at a reasonable price.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline modiphius

• Librarian
    • Modiphius
« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2018, 11:04:39 PM »
In the nicest way possible... DAMNYOU!  I'm alwayslooking out for a copy and I've NEVER been able to get one at a reasonable price.

Keep an eye on ebay there's been a few on there recently

Offline MattW

• Librarian
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2018, 12:07:42 AM »
Kibri makes some HO scale castles that look good with 10mm as well. Though it depends on whether you actually want them to fit troops inside, or they’re just nice-looking LOS blockers.

Offline modiphius

• Librarian
    • Modiphius
« Reply #84 on: March 09, 2018, 07:40:28 PM »
Kibri makes some HO scale castles that look good with 10mm as well. Though it depends on whether you actually want them to fit troops inside, or they’re just nice-looking LOS blockers.

Yes they look nice but I certainly would prefer some practical castle works

Offline modiphius

• Librarian
    • Modiphius
« Reply #85 on: March 09, 2018, 07:41:03 PM »

Yes they look nice but I certainly would prefer some practical castle works

Offline MattW

• Librarian
« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2018, 12:20:43 AM »
Had a chance to think about these rules any further?  :)

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2018, 01:26:54 AM »
Had a chance to think about these rules any further?  :)

I was thinking about reviving this thread a few days ago, as I would also like to knowwhat the plans are for these rules.  If play testers are needed I might even start a 10mm army for the purpose.

Offline wkeyser

• Scientist
« Reply #88 on: June 18, 2020, 11:27:07 AM »
We have a bunch of the Warmaster Armies and still go back to that at least once a year. We have started using the Warmaster Revolution rules, they have fixed some of the problems have noticed, among other things now you can only issue three orders to a unit, you only fight two rounds of combat, supporting ranks can now follow up a pursuer to add to the first and second rounds of combat.

They also have army lists not only the original ones but also many of the fan based armies.

Great stuff I dug up a bunch of goblins and orcs from Polar fox, including a goblin band. Great stuff.

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #89 on: June 18, 2020, 04:17:37 PM »
I have various warmaster based 10mm armies on individual bases and movement trays using 1/2 scale WHFB 3rd edition, Mighty Empires and Siege. My friend has bought into 3D printers and is working on mighty fortress’s for us.

Hopefully a couple of pictures attached including a sculpted goblin rider for the Ogre WHFB vulture, a giant made of bits and green stuff, some warmaster cavalry and a familiar copplestone wizard.

BALM
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/