Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:30:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Sword & Sorcery 5 Headed Dragon, some tips please  (Read 958 times)

Offline Jhonyb

• Lurker
Sword & Sorcery 5 Headed Dragon, some tips please
« on: January 23, 2018, 09:21:11 PM »
Hello all,

I just arrived in this forums and in some way i just arrived in this "new world" of miniature painting (i painted some minis - poorly - 20 years ago).

I started painting my S&S dragon and i wanted to be has close has possible to the original card of the game:

This is my progress:
Base coat of black

Dry brushed with orange red.

Highlighted with sun yellow\bright yellow\white

Washed with Army painter brown wash - also dry brushed the scales\tale with orange red followed by red

Looking at the original card of the game i'm thinking of highlighting the tale with some sun yellow and then washing with brown wash.

Has for the heads i'm a bit unsure but i'm thinking something along the lines:

red head - dry brush some darker red
green head - dry brush some darker green
white head - washing brown, highlight with some black ?
blue head - dry brush some darker blue

body - do a similar job like i did on tale, but focusing just on the scales, leaving the body mainly black
details - feet \ claws use some orange and yellow to highlighht some parts (like on the wings), and paint tongue \ eyes \ horns of the head.

Anyone wants to suggest \ correct me \ advice me please do, maybe tell me other techiniques etc.
I don't own a great deal of paints \ \washes what i own is mostly vallejo \ army painter.

Thanks for reading

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: Sword & Sorcery 5 Headed Dragon, some tips please
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 09:43:02 PM »
Hi and welcome!

Great model, and good to see the painting coming along well.

A couple of suggestions - dry brushing is normally done with a lighter colour, to add highlights to the raised parts of the model. A wash is normally used to add shade to the deeper parts. So for the heads, I'd wash with a darker shade, then dry brush with the original colour to lift the colour back from the wash, and then do a light dry brush, or even just paint some highlights on the edges of the scales. Most of the neck scales look pretty large, so you may be better just painting highlights along the edges - dry brushing can look a bit ragged at times.

I like the effect on the wings - I'd perhaps graduate the yellow into the orange / brown a little more - its quite a stark switch now.

You seem to have plenty of paints - particularly with fantasy figures mixing colours works well, as you don't want too much uniformity across different figures.

Looking forward to seeing more progress.

Offline Jhonyb

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 10:03:25 PM »
Hi and welcome!

Great model, and good to see the painting coming along well.

A couple of suggestions - dry brushing is normally done with a lighter colour, to add highlights to the raised parts of the model. A wash is normally used to add shade to the deeper parts. So for the heads, I'd wash with a darker shade, then dry brush with the original colour to lift the colour back from the wash, and then do a light dry brush, or even just paint some highlights on the edges of the scales. Most of the neck scales look pretty large, so you may be better just painting highlights along the edges - dry brushing can look a bit ragged at times.

I like the effect on the wings - I'd perhaps graduate the yellow into the orange / brown a little more - its quite a stark switch now.

You seem to have plenty of paints - particularly with fantasy figures mixing colours works well, as you don't want too much uniformity across different figures.

Looking forward to seeing more progress.

HI fred,

Thank you for your reply (and advices).
When you say graduate the yellow into the orange \ brown a little more - you mean to paint further down with yellow or moving into black with some brown\dark brown down the wing ?

Bare in mind that i'm pretty new to this hobby and some terms\advices might be out of my grasp without an ELI5 ;)

thx again

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 10:34:27 PM »
By graduated, I mean go gradually from the yellow to the brown. On the back of the wings it seems to be yellow on the top half and brown on the bottom half. It might look better to faded from the yellow to the brown gradually. To do this mix a little brown with the yellow, paint over the bottom couple of yellow ribs, then add a little more brown and paint a couple more runs, then add some more brown and do a couple more.

Hope that is clearer.