Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:59:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Season 3 ROUND 2 Call For Entries  (Read 25772 times)

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
Re: Season 3 ROUND 2 Call For Entries
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2009, 10:01:48 AM »
...The problem is shooting something good looking. Most of my props are packed away.

Relax.  I for one am only voting on the painted figures, it being a Painting Competition.  For me, the scenery is totally irrelevant - though nice to look at...  ;)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2009, 11:39:33 AM »
Indeed...

The bottom line is the minis.

As far as keeping up the pace, well, that is what the league is all about and why I am totally freeking out at this time...  o_o

Online Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 12:37:53 PM »
...The problem is shooting something good looking. Most of my props are packed away.

Relax.  I for one am only voting on the painted figures, it being a Painting Competition.  For me, the scenery is totally irrelevant - though nice to look at...  ;)

Hehe. As it has been said many times before it is not any ol' painting competition. LPL has a few traits which makes props relevant. Speaking for myself I don't feel I need to present them with props. I want to. Ties shit together, ya know.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 01:38:51 PM by Hammers »

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2009, 01:34:17 PM »

Hehe. As it has been said many times before it is not any painting competition. LPL has a few traits which makes props relevant. Speaking for myself I don't feel I need to present them with props. I want to. Ties shit together, ya know.

Bit o' scenery is nice

set the scene

make it seem liike its a snap shot of a game.

dodge

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2009, 01:54:51 PM »
As it has been said many times before it is not any ol' painting competition. LPL has a few traits which makes props relevant. Speaking for myself I don't feel I need to present them with props. I want to. Ties shit together, ya know.

Totally agree, so do I.

The LPL is a pretty unique experience.  It is an experience where even the mighty can fall to a well executed, innovative piece of work.  It is hard to quantify or explain, but it works so well not just because of painting quality and quantity but because of the magic which flows from the imagination of the folks who inhibit this small corner of the world.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2009, 03:49:28 PM »
I certainly think there is room for both ways. Orctrader's signature presentation style really displays his (I assume he's a he) wonderfully painted figures very nicely, on the other hand I love to see the little dioramas that some folks concoct too. I don't see why they can't compete against each other.

Scenery, story-telling composition and backdrop doesn't always automatically beat blank background, by any means.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 03:59:30 PM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2009, 03:54:39 PM »
Scenery, story-telling composition and backdrop doesn't always automatically beat blank background, by any means.

Not when I'm taking the photo it doesn't  lol

dodge

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2009, 04:02:33 PM »
Orctrader's signature presentation style really displays his wonderfully painted figures very nicely...

Thank you  :)  Of course, being only a painter, I don't actually own any scenery or terrain  :?

(I might actually buy some for one particular round I have in mind.  Certainly I have no spare time to make any...)

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2009, 04:18:00 PM »
I actually like it a lot that scenery has an influence on the votes.

Next to having to paint the miniatures, it gives me a good excuse to finish scenery that is already lying around for ages. The fact that I really love seeing well thought out pictures telling a story also helps a lot. Then again, good painting can still win, as has been shown often.

In the end, the only think I think that is important is seeing pretty pictures  :P
Why aim for gold if you can get lead?

Online Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2009, 04:54:12 PM »
I certainly think there is room for both ways. Orctrader's signature presentation style really displays his (I assume he's a he) wonderfully painted figures very nicely, on the other hand I love to see the little dioramas that some folks concoct too. I don't see why they can't compete against each other.

This is certainly so.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2009, 07:55:28 AM »
Painted some more yesterday and now nr. 2 and 3 are also finished! Only two more to go. I'm going to make the deadline.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2009, 08:23:27 AM »
Round 2 & 3 painted, was going to shoot pics this afternoon except it rained... I like sunlight for my photos, it gives the best results...

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2009, 08:37:12 AM »
Don't get much sun light at useful times up here is Scotland. It may be one of the reasons I am struggling more with getting good photos than I am with painting my entries. I am going to trying the light tent idea, tonight for my next entry.

Offline Raz

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2009, 12:16:00 PM »
Well, the second round is ready for their photoshoot (being a bunch of divas as it is...). I'm half way through painting the third entry, so I'm ahead of schedule. As I'm on holiday in week 9 & 10, so have to paint these entries ahead of time, that's really not a bad thing :)

Offline Moriarty

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2009, 10:36:53 PM »

lol

Ah that old Maltese sense of humour  ;)
[/quote]
 :-[ I'm not laughing at this end - I have NO idea how to take a good photo of this next lot... they just won't keep still. 
[/quote]

Liquid Nitrogen?