Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:42:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686453
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mouse pad material gaming mat from Deep Cut Studio review  (Read 2445 times)

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Mouse pad material gaming mat from Deep Cut Studio review
« on: January 24, 2018, 10:13:45 PM »
I just posted a review of the mouse pad style game mat from Deep Cut Studio on my blog. I received a review sample of the 6x4' "Muddy fields" for the blog after having looked for a good alternative to regular gaming tables/modular tables since storage space in my apartment is very limited.

I'm honestly very impressed with the gaming mat, the mouse pad material version is much better than the PVC gaming mats from DCS that I have purchased a couple of years ago for X-wing and Blood Bowl.

You can check the full written review  and also a video review over at my blog here:

http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.se/2018/01/gaming-mat-from-deep-cut-studio-review.html

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Mouse pad material gaming mat from Deep Cut Studio review
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 04:33:01 PM »
I've got to get one of these, they look great and since I'm short on space, ideal for me

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 05:24:23 PM »
You won't regret it.
I think this is the perfect compromise of storage space saver and eye candy.

:)

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 05:42:38 PM »
Good review, I have limited space to game so this could well be the way to go. :)

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 05:53:52 PM »
Nice review. I've got some DCS  pvc mats which are good but they are a bit shiny as you say. I might have to buy a few of these. I also want a variety of smaller mats for skirmish gaming. Another one with limited space so the ability to roll them up and stick them in a cupboard is very appealing.

In the UK wayland  games stock them and that saves a bit on postage. That said I've ordered direct before and the service has always been excellent.

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 07:22:47 PM »
Last SAGA tournament I attended at my local club, the guys had purchased a couple of the large 6x4 mats and cut them in half without problem or loss of quality for our games.  I guess that could be a money saver option if you have friends and want small skirmish size mats you could make a combined order and share various designs.

On the other hand the smaller 3x3 and 4x4 mats are affordable as it is. I also really like the indoor designs with wooden floor and dungeon tiles. I'm already thinking of getting the dungeon mat for indoor Frostgrave scenarios  ;D

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 07:47:11 AM »
I have their cobblestone mat in mouse pad material and have to say I’m impressed by it, both that the material is suitably weighty and the surfacing detailing fits nicely with figure basing rather than being ‘photo-realistic’.

I’ve got a rubber-backed mat on order from Tiny Mats and I’ll be interested to compare them.  As I downsize, I think these mats will be the way to go.

Edit:  Such is the power of LAF that the Tiny Mat turned up within 2 hours of posting  :)

Very impressed by it and especially surprised by that fact that although rubber backed it will take some subtle relief by placing a few formers underneath it.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 07:25:11 PM by levied troop »
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 07:03:59 PM »
I must say, if anyone ever manages to combine mousepad base material with real textured surfaces, they are going to sell like hotcakes.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 06:31:19 PM »
Just to say that because of this the review I have purchased a green field 3x3 mat. Looking forward to using it soon as delivered! :)

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 03:39:17 PM »
I wonder what the long-term life of these mouse pad mats are? I have had actual mouse pads where the rubber deteriorated - though, to be fair, these were free promotions and so probably used the cheapest materials available. And this was during the 90's so perhaps the rubber formulation would have changed regardless.

Of these new terrain mats, I have the new Gangs of Rome, Streets of Rome mat - or whatever it is called - and it is quite nice.

On a tangent, what are the other types of mats sold by Deep Cut like? I gather they are some sort of light cloth?

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 11:29:16 AM »
I've actually been researching this over the last month-or-so and it seems DCS mats are among the best on the market. I have heard that the print quality on their pvc mats is better because of the absorbent nature of mouse-mat-material. However, it looks fantastic in your review. Now to decide which to buy! The swamp mat looks nice, but I worry it might be a little dark. I have to say the muddy field mat looks rather good. Decisions, decisions!

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 01:26:46 PM »
I wonder what the long-term life of these mouse pad mats are? I have had actual mouse pads where the rubber deteriorated - though, to be fair, these were free promotions and so probably used the cheapest materials available. And this was during the 90's so perhaps the rubber formulation would have changed regardless.

I've had a 3x3 X-Wing mat made of the mousemat stuff for over 3 years now (closer to 4), being used on a weekly basis and it's still going strong.

It used to be laid out (semi)permanently on my gaming table, but the past six months, it's been rolled up in a tube, only coming out every week or so for a game, with no issue at all; still rolls out perfectly flat and the image is still as fresh as it ever was. Basically, apart from a small soda stain, it's still as new, even after all these years of (ab)use!

So I can heartily recommend the material.

I got mine from another supplier though (gamemat.eu). Too bad they (still) don't carry a 6x4 space mat, or I would have bought one from them already. And even though I reckon there will be very little difference (if any) between the two suppliers, I would still like to see the DCS product before shelling out...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 07:46:34 PM »
Just to say that because of this the review I have purchased a green field 3x3 mat. Looking forward to using it soon as delivered! :)

Got my mat today and mighty impressed, it is really very nice indeed. Well chuffed!! :)