Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:58:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690828
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My groups alternate rules  (Read 1372 times)

Offline Stubaru

• Student
My groups alternate rules
« on: January 26, 2018, 07:55:14 PM »
Hello all, our Frostgrave group came up with an alternate rule that we have been playing for the last year and we wanted to share. The players in our group have fairly high level wizards and so we wanted more of a challenge. Before implementing the rules we did away with experience gained from killing creatures and stuck only to xp from treasure removal and from rewards through the use of ulterior motive cards (which we love).

The major new rule we revised was the placement of treasure. Instead of each player placing treasure at the beginning of the game, we excepted the idea that there could be an almost infinite amount of treasure on the board that needed to be searched for and found. We decided that a warband member could search a part of the terrain that contained a ruin (building level, rubble, grouping of barrels) as an action looking to see if there was any loot hidden or tucked away. That warband member would then roll a d20 which would correspond on a table which would determine what they found. Since the possibility of finding an almost infinite amount treasure would make the game less enjoyable to play, only a roll of an 18+ would produce a treasure, anything below a 20 normally provoked a monster to spawn at the site of the search, a trap or nothing at all. Even the roll of a 18-20 created a treasure but with a random monster spawned with it.

For example, if a player rolled a 14-17 they would then have to roll on the Table 3 of the random monster chart. If they rolled a 1-4 it was a trap, if they rolled a 5-9 they found nothing, 10-13 would be a level 2 monster chart roll and so on. We discovered that most of the time when people searched they ended up in combat and so treasure wasn't as easily found as we thought it might be. What ended up happening is that warband members that searched ended up in a lot of instant base to base action with some tough monsters...which we all loved. In addition, to make things more interesting we gave thieves a +3 to their d20 roll and treasure hunters a +1. (any roll over a 20 gave the searcher an unencumbered treasure.) This also helped the lowly 20gc thief stay relevant in higher level campaigns but at the same time, a thief suddenly in base to base with a Frost Giant is fantastically entertaining.

Another rule we instituted was random Barbarian encounters. At the end of every turn, every player on the table would roll a d20 and on a roll of 14+ that played would have to roll on the random encounter table of the Forgotten Pacts book. Our gaming table normally has about 10-12 buildings on it and we numbered each building. Once a player had rolled to see what the Barbarian encounter would be, they then would roll a d10 or d12 to see what building they would pour out of.

Needless to say, after a few rounds of bad rolls, the board was rife with bad guys and monsters. Invariably, the games generally lasted about 5-6 turns before the war bands had to retreat due to both casualties inflicted and just the sheer number of enemies on the board, which ended up making the games a quicker more focused affair. Normally once a warband had gotten 3 treasures, it was time to leave.

Again, our warbands were pretty advanced and so we wanted something more challenging at later stages of the game, our players would sometimes engage each other, but with so many bad guys on the field, it lead to some interesting alliances and team work...and yes the occasional betrayal.

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
Re: My groups alternate rules
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 12:14:15 AM »
Sounds interesting, will have to give this a try. Never have liked the place, race, grab and run aspect...

Offline pauld

• Scientist
  • Being disintegrated makes me very angry!
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 12:30:45 PM »
Sounds great.

Can you post your tables at all?

Thanks
No dear, they are not toys, they are models

Offline casual tea

• Bookworm
    • instagram.com/dlyanf
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 07:45:30 PM »
Sounds like a fun twist! I like the idea of monsters and traps. Reminds me of a certain Mordheim scenario...

Offline Murawski1812

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 01:34:21 PM »
Absolutely a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

Offline giles the zog

• Scientist
    • The Lost City of Carcosa
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 05:03:40 PM »
Interesting ideas.
As you say, more suitable for advanced war bands rather than the new ones.
Wandering stars, for whom is reserved, the blackness, the darkness forever.

https://thelostcityofcarcosa.com

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 05:18:43 PM »
I love the idea but it's a little too 'aggressive' for my tastes the way you guys played it. Also, do you allows multiple searches of the same terrain?

Marking treasure possible terrain with the number of allowed search attempts would ensure on larger tables players go for the same area as well. Or maybe you have to be 6" in from the starting point or something...

For me maybe 2 rolls 1 for treasure search and one for an event - could be nothing, a trap or a monster etc. would allow you can get both and be a little less deadly. :)

Allowing, additional searches with a modifier after the first would be interesting as well. Less chance of finding treasure on a second search but more chance of finding a monster, with the noise etc.

Hmmm... nice mod to the game.
My painting blog is at: http://mellis1644.wordpress.com/

Offline Stubaru

• Student
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 03:15:36 PM »
I love the idea but it's a little too 'aggressive' for my tastes the way you guys played it. Also, do you allows multiple searches of the same terrain?

Marking treasure possible terrain with the number of allowed search attempts would ensure on larger tables players go for the same area as well. Or maybe you have to be 6" in from the starting point or something...

For me maybe 2 rolls 1 for treasure search and one for an event - could be nothing, a trap or a monster etc. would allow you can get both and be a little less deadly. :)

Allowing, additional searches with a modifier after the first would be interesting as well. Less chance of finding treasure on a second search but more chance of finding a monster, with the noise etc.

Hmmm... nice mod to the game.

A different Warband could search the same spot, but multiple searches aren't allowed.

The way to cap how much treasure you get off the board was with how dangerous it was to go poking around all the cracks and crevasses. The level 3 random monster table is no joke. No thief can survive base to base contact with TWO snow trolls. Even if you swarm the encounters, you're going to lose guys. Then you add in the Barbarians...yeah, you don't have as much time as you think.