Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:22:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690523
  • Total Topics: 118335
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Britannia on Sky anyone? (SPOILER ALERT)  (Read 3935 times)

Offline Wellington Bonaparte

• Scientist
  • Strike Sure
Funny but I agree with all the comments about how bad and historically wrong this show is and how poorly written/acted and filmedbut I'm very strangely enjoying it much like the Captain.
If you watch it as a load of tosh, rather than drama or history its a way to wind down after work without having to think to hard. Kelly  Reilly looks good, Zoe Wannamaker looks as weird as ever and the young lass has a great future as an actress,  and most definitely would have been a great Arya, except she is to pretty.
It is nonsense but fun, not one to stay up late for. Definitely not one to learn anything about the Claudian Empire or Celtic Briton, but passed a couple of cold windy evenings.
Stand Fast - Strike Sure -  Carry On - Bydand

Offline MartinR

• Scientist
    • The games we play
I think it is brilliant, but then I thought A Field in England was brilliant. The invasion of Britain as a mystical clash of drug crazed loons? Great. It is more akin to Dunkirk, about emotion, not boring rivet counting history, which is fine by me.

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
Struggled through the first one, was ok with the second one....then the pebble hypnosis finally killed it.

I'll stick to Versailles and Jamestown, neither of which are perfect but are sooooo much better than this!

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Tried it, if only for Kelly Reilly ( :-*) but although I managed to watch two chapters, the Jedi-cum-Druid mind trick was a bit too much over the top for me. Well, that and the props. Each time I see one of the Roman soldiers I don't know if start crying or laughing my arse off!

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
I have't seen it yet (and by the sounds of it, I'm not missing much). However, it can't possibly be worse than Roar, from 1997.

21 years ago and I still wake up screaming remembering it some mornings o_o

Offline smirnoff

• Mad Scientist
As a dedicated button counter I was prepared to hate it.
I don't. It is utter tosh but it does have wit in places....

Offline Nevyen

• Scientist
    • 5th Column Wargaming
Absolute Junk and furthers the damage done by hollywood when dealing with Romans.  GOT and the Last Kingdom and even Vikings to an extent treats the audience with some respect. 

This show would be equivalent to Zena Warrior Princess or the Adventures of Hercules Adults only version. The writer should be ashamed or is clearly not aware of how stupid they are, which then they should be felt sorry for.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
Wot about the music... that's right good, innit!!!???

;D
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline THE CID

• Mastermind
Watched half of the third episode, absolute tosh of the worst kind. Alright it's not historically correct, it's fantasy, but it is still absolute tosh. Don't waste your life on this planet watching it.
Ive seen things you people wouldn't believe - Roy Batty.

Offline charla51

• Librarian
Forget history. But some of the dialogue, taken out of context, is a laugh.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
It is more akin to Dunkirk, about emotion, not boring rivet counting history, which is fine by me.

Christopher Nolan would happily kill himself if it meant he could turn over in his grave at this comment.

Button counting annoys me, and I'll normally actively support any show that annoys historical purists, But this doesn't even have the benefit of being well written.
I Claudius is a historical nightmare but it's more gripping than an experimental nymphomaniacs bench vice. Britannia is just a flatline for me.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
Re: Britannia on Sky anyone? (SPOILER ALERT)
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2018, 12:27:12 PM »
Well I watched the lot and there was no Thomas the tank engine, seemed very game of thrones clone, even down to start of series boring, middle of series sort of interesting, end of series bat-shit crazy when they realise they need to set up for the next series.
I enjoyed the rehash of Arya and the Hound's journey, bizarrely the only thing they got wrong that wound me up was the shot of the roman camp when the externel clavicula was the opposite way to what it should be. 
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline dhtandco

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2018, 09:30:00 PM »
Don’t waste a minutes gaming time on this tv show.Waste of a good idea for a plot.

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2018, 04:59:19 PM »
Half-watched the first two episodes now (i.e. in the background while doing other things).

It's not as terrible as I had feared, but certainly not good either. In a way the worst outcome: something that quite easily could have been great, but was handled incredibly badly. It's not so much the lack of history, as the lack of story that lets it down. (That being said, why does every 'historical' show need people in leather armour? Why?) Even from the limited amount of time I've focussed on it, the amount of cliches and plot holes is pretty notable. Haven't yet decided if I'll continue watching. Kind of want to see where it goes, but not sure if spending many more hours on it will be worth it.
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2018, 06:58:11 PM »
This was very much my take on it too. Quite naff in various ways, but also strangely watchable. Annoying.
I persevered with it and didn’t hate it too much in the end. There were certainly some things to enjoy about it  :)