Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:35:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Modelux Gasometer ,or a Malady in abox.(review turned recycling)  (Read 2888 times)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
This started life as a put your money where your mouth is project. After reading one of Codstickers threads.

In short came across Modelux railway models. Very pretty ,might have some cross over potential.
Decided I'd go with a Gasometer.(top pic)
Tried ordering on the site.But the lag was terrible (used phone) so I  ordered one from they're eBay store.
Ho 220mm diameter 160mm tall. N gauge listed as 120mm tall.
I decided the HO was would take up too much table. So I thought the N gauge at 120mm. Would give a responsible alternative.

I decided I'd build a walled base to represent a gas works and protect the card model. So I fired off an email asking for the diameter of the model I'd ordered as I couldn't find it in the description. I explained what I was intending on using it for,and that i could work on the assumption that it was ratios were the same as the HO version.
Here the reply,🤔
Turns out it's not 120mm,its 85mm,and to add insult to injury. When it arrived the dimensions on the packing says 110mm x 90mm.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Modelux Gasometer ,or a Malady in abox.(review turned recycling)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 12:02:59 AM »
Now we get to opening the pack .

First thing to note .
Nothing is on frames, everything is loose in several smaller bags that have then been rolled and taped up.

Obviously these are fragile card parts. Which have now been handle multiple times without the protection of the frames they've been produced on. So some parts are damaged from transit and packing. But worse some have been clearly damaged being removed from the frames.cuts and slices are visible on several of the uprights.

More perplexing is the total lack of nets. Other than the frames with the X supports built in. The roof is a series of individual triangular panels.the storage tank is confusing as its a jigsaw of individual panels that lock together in a similar fashion to the old linka moulding system,and there's two layers of them to form the double height of the tank.
This is a baffling kit of delicate and fragile parts that have been over engineered to the point . You've spent £15. To seriously consider throwing it at a wall and stamping on it.
I don't think its unreasonable to say I've decent grasp of card modelling. I found this to be a chore,I did one dry run at the internal tank. Then thought what on earth am I doing. Downed tools had a beer and in well under the two hour stated the kit should take .
I recycled the hateful thing into a water tower( including the base colour being applied.)

Now this is the point I'm stopping at until after the York show.

Mark.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 08:22:28 AM »
Well.... it looks nice... even if it isn't what it is supposed to be. Shame it was such a pain as the kits look very nice on their website.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 12:15:14 AM »
I agree It did look nice on the website . But then I'm not surprised because it's actually the Ho kit labelled as the N gauge kit. The detailing is completely different on the N gauge kit.(a fact made even more glaring when on line instructions refers to detailing that simply isn't present on the N gauge kit.)  Although its a poor picture of the water tower I knocked up. The colour of the gasometer part is straight out of the packet, I've not repainted any part of it. It's a charcoal grey with black lines for detail. There's virtually zero evidence of the weathering promised or pictured. In fact it was very difficult to distinguish the detailed side from the blank back in normal lighting,without tilting each piece towards the light source.

I must admit I found it odd as a sculptor. Why their designer felt his approval was required or needed voicing. Unless it's something lost in translation. Because I can't think of a single designer or sculptor in this hobby who'd feel the need too.
Kit bashing and repurposing are staples of the hobby. Personally I love to see how other people interpret my clay pushing. It helps me improve,and to want to make more stuff.

I've not totally given up on the idea of using their products. As it's unfair to judge them on only one product.So in fair play I'll order another product (in Ho this time) . One just to see how much of this has been me being a miserable arse whilst I've been off with man flu.  Also if It's a case of one dud design / kit,and or poor communication and attention to detail when it comes to marketing. Because three different sets of dimensions on three different occasions,for the same scale model kit. Is pretty poor by anyone's standards.

In all probability I'll order one of the pit heads. As these should have a degree of comparison (with regards to hic ups already noted)
Also I have a use for a pithead and a back up project to recycle it . Should it fall short as well.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 08:06:42 AM »
That sounds really disappointing to be honest...

I'm sure you know them already, but ScaleScenes.com also offer watertowers and several types of storage tanks. I've had some really good experience with their offerings too. regretfully, you'll have to do all the footwork yourself though, as you order the files, not paperworks...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!