Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:49:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690340
  • Total Topics: 118326
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Solo - New trailer page six  (Read 11667 times)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: Solo
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2018, 09:06:07 AM »
Oh, that's whats-her-name. Without her dragons!  :)
Or her toaster.

I was left feeling very underwhelmed by the trailer. I'll still see it though.
Yes, and yes.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 09:07:46 AM by Ultravanillasmurf »

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2018, 09:35:00 AM »
why? Why would you see something that looks terrible?
Have you ever watched Reptilicus?

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2018, 09:36:25 AM »
Looks like there'll be some cool bounty hunter stuff in there, but there is no way I'm going to see this.

My childhood self still thinks Harrison Ford's Solo is the coolest guy in the universe. This film is going to turn the Solo character into an annoying ass-hat. Search your feelings, you know it to be pretty darn likely.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2018, 09:47:17 AM »
why? Why would you see something that looks terrible?
Lots of reasons. I'm a fan. I know I'll end up enjoying it (I'm not so much of a fan that I pull apart every piece). My kids will want to see it so I'll take them. It was a trailer and cannot be judged upon that alone (although yes it is a good starting point). I've enjoyed every star wars movie despite Jar Jar and some other poor looking trailers. :)

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2018, 10:24:53 AM »
One of the problems with prequels is that the character progression from self-centred, mercenary arse-hat to hero is reset. If the film is well written and made, there may be a satisfactory character arc that shows why the shoot first and buy another drink character of Star Wars ended up that way, or you might end up with the nonsense that was the first three prequels.

Rogue One had the advantage of the background, a good story and was not really limited by existing canon. This lacks those advantages.

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2018, 12:18:59 PM »
I don't like the Solo actor... he looks a bit innocent(?).

Apart from that, it looks quite fun :) .

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2018, 02:42:14 PM »
One of the problems with prequels is that the character progression from self-centred, mercenary arse-hat to hero is reset. If the film is well written and made, there may be a satisfactory character arc that shows why the shoot first and buy another drink character of Star Wars ended up that way

I agree that it would be weird if Han is an all-out hero by the end of the film, but then this is set when he's a young man. He might already be bit of a scoundrel who's capable of doing the right thing every now and then. This film isn't going to take us up to New Hope when all he seems to care about is the big hairy fella and is capable of firing first.
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2018, 06:42:41 PM »
I'm not sure I agree.

Solo as a character is far more complex. He never really ever becomes a clear cut hero. He's a lovable rogue, but often makes choices that are far from heroic.

For me it will be interesting to see how those complexities were formed.

On the surface he tends to run from confrontation, blags his way out of tough spots and always seems to be on the run as a smuggler. Some might even call him cowardly.

Yet, during the films we see deeper aspects. Glimpses of the reluctant hero. Conflicted at times, vulnerable at others. It suggests the outward presentation is the tough front to a less confident softer side with hints at regret and failure.

RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2018, 09:37:19 PM »
Just noticed this:

If you thought the Solo trailer was the big Star Wars news of the week, think again. Breaking news from the galaxy far, far away tells us that the creators of another fantasy epic, HBO’s Game of Thrones, will soon be working on a whole new series of Star Wars films.

According to StarWars.com, David Benioff and D.B. Weiss will be writing and producing the new series of movies, which “will be separate from both the episodic Skywalker saga and the recently-announced trilogy being developed by Rian Johnson, writer-director of Star Wars: The Last Jedi.” That’s...a lot of Star Wars.

Obviously, there’s no timeline yet for these new films; the final season of Game of Thrones isn’t even airing until next year.

Offline Dezmond

• Scientist
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2018, 11:31:10 AM »
Another trailer here

Still can't see an elephant but there is a big squid thing in it.

Obviously I am having trouble seeing the screen around this strange large grey obstruction with a trunk, but I think that looks god awful.

Anyway, from back when Star Wars was fun:-

Offline huesped

• Mad Scientist
  • "-El Emperador no es tan magnánimo como yo"
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2018, 08:56:42 PM »
 lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol
DAMN COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2018, 09:31:23 PM »
Just a reminder: This movie is being made by a bunch of folks who will stand by the claim that Han did not in fact shoot first.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2018, 12:18:37 AM »
I never got why they changed that. The guy was running loads of space Heroin for Jabba at the time FFS. If you made a film where the guy was flying c-130's full of coke for Pablo Escobar, would you really worry about who shot at who first in a scene. The guy is clearly morally bankrupt regardless of his draw speed!

I think it's fair to say that he isn't morally bankrupt . . . . . . at that point his moral compass is buried quite deep, but it's there.

I agree on who cares about who shot first. It would appear that Solo is avoiding Jabba at that point and he knows that it is kill or be taken to see him and face things like Rankor monsters . . . . .

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2018, 03:09:50 AM »
I imagine I'll probably see it. Not convinced by the change of director but will give it a chance.  Apparently Ron Howard was brought in mid-way through production to suck out most of the humour from the film. I wouldn't have minded a smart funny take on Solo rather than a 'safe' film that keeps within its own lane but doesn't excite.

As for the leading man? Unconvinced. Personally I'd have like to have seen that guys who drives babies (and has a Golden Demon) get the gig.

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2018, 06:15:46 AM »
I don't like the Solo actor... he looks a bit innocent(?).
We cant all look the rapscallion handsome gent you pull off on a daily basis now can we Inso?  :-)

Grimm