Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:30:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689627
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Perry bros to release 15th century Irish?  (Read 5686 times)

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Perry bros to release 15th century Irish?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2018, 02:02:04 PM »
That is a quite complete set of Irish and will be perfect for completing my WotR Lancastrian army for the battle of Mortimers Cross.  I see from their web page that they are available to purchase now.

Very happy teddy.   :D :D

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2018, 02:59:55 PM »
I am a little surprised they hadn't done the Agincourt plastic mounted knights yet. It appears to be a favorite period of the Perry's.

Really? Practically all the newsletters I receive from them are for Napoleonics, with the odd WW2 release and the rare release of something falling between those 2 eras.  ???
For me, these are a welcome change!

I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2018, 05:59:19 PM »
Oh wow, that was quick! When I posted this yesterday I was expecting it to be many months with no news before we actually saw them.

I do not personally have particularly much need for Irish (they were a rare sight on the continent).

Yeah I'm in the same boat as you, my 15th century project being on the continent....
Does anyone know of any accounts of Irish mercenaries fighting in Europe between 1450 and 1500? I'd love some historical basis to justify a small bunch of these guys fighting in Germany, France or Burgundy!!!
I'm particularly keen because skirmishers with javelins would add a great new tactical element to my games.

Really? Practically all the newsletters I receive from them are for Napoleonics, with the odd WW2 release and the rare release of something falling between those 2 eras.  ???

Absolutely. Napoleonic players are spoilt ROTTEN by the Perrys! I've been wanting them to return to the 15th century for ages, I really hope they have some more stuff for this era planned.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2018, 06:53:01 PM »
...and Perry-made gallóglaich? Yes please.
Oh **** yeah...

Offline delbruck

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2018, 07:33:20 PM »

Certainly the Perry's are producing a lot of Napoleonics, buy they said in the video that Agincourt was the historical battle they would like to see, and the commander they would want to talk to.

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2018, 11:17:41 PM »
Absolutely. Napoleonic players are spoilt ROTTEN by the Perrys! I've been wanting them to return to the 15th century for ages, I really hope they have some more stuff for this era planned.

I do agree with that... although I suspect the Napoleonic players will have us shot for it.  :D

Certainly the Perry's are producing a lot of Napoleonics, buy they said in the video that Agincourt was the historical battle they would like to see, and the commander they would want to talk to.

Ah, well I do hope they go there soon then!

Offline Garanhir

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2018, 10:14:31 AM »
A welcome return to the 15th century; let's hope they stay a while.
A life without festivity is a long road without an inn.
-Democritus

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2018, 09:49:09 AM »
Does anyone know of any accounts of Irish mercenaries fighting in Europe between 1450 and 1500? I'd love some historical basis to justify a small bunch of these guys fighting in Germany, France or Burgundy!!!
I'm particularly keen because skirmishers with javelins would add a great new tactical element to my games.

Considering the amount of bows, crossbows and cannons present on a late 15th century battlefield, and the lack of armour on the Irish, I have a feeling that getting them within a javelin range of the enemy might be a bit of a tactical challenge on the more open battlefields - though on closer terrain they should be able to harass the enemy.

As for Perrys moving back and forth between periods and subjects - instead of sitting down and "completing" a range until starting a new one - isn't that what most wargamers do? The twins have been sculpting figures for several decades, and it is good to see that they still keep going. I would think that they are likely to be on their most productive when working on whatever inspires them most at the moment (even if it is a Napoleonic camel ambulance), and I think that in the long run it would be to be everybody's benefit that they keep themselves motivated and productive.

PS: Anybody else noticed the gap (WR40) in the list of the product codes? Checking around, I discovered that this stands for the plastic mounted men-at-arms set, released already back in 2012.

Offline rivers3162

• Librarian
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2018, 08:40:48 PM »
 So I ordered one of each of the new packs from the Perry twins and they arrived this week. I have to say I am really impressed with them and I’m glad that I held off using alternatives. The command and the gallowglass are especially nice!

My only bugbear is that I think I am going to have to remove and replace all the javelins with brass ones as several were bent or snapped when they arrived so I don’t fancy their chances being knocked around on the tabletop!

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2018, 09:27:22 PM »
Well  the minis look good (although they are not among the best the brothers ever did), but unfortunately they are metal. And I must admit that Im more than reluctant to buy anything metal from the Perrys, due to the casting quality issues. I dont know why they keep shooting themselves to the foot. Their originals are great, their plastics magnificent, the metals though are like lottary. If you are lucky they will be just ok, if you are not prepare for something right out of Robocop (the original one). I would gladly pay a bit extra for at least half decent quality control.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2018, 09:41:02 PM »
My only bugbear is that I think I am going to have to remove and replace all the javelins with brass ones as several were bent or snapped when they arrived so I don’t fancy their chances being knocked around on the tabletop!

For javelins (as opposed to spears with shaped heads) I often use quilters' pins. They're bigger than ordinary pins and the plastic heads are easily snipped off with wire cutters.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2018, 09:48:03 PM »
I found that copper wire is the best solution for me. A bit of hammering and filing can have the job done in 15 min.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2018, 11:29:35 AM »
Well, whatever works for you. Do you flatten the head to give a narrow leaf-shaped blade?

Offline delbruck

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2018, 02:29:49 PM »
Well  the minis look good (although they are not among the best the brothers ever did), but unfortunately they are metal. And I must admit that Im more than reluctant to buy anything metal from the Perrys, due to the casting quality issues. I dont know why they keep shooting themselves to the foot. Their originals are great, their plastics magnificent, the metals though are like lottary. If you are lucky they will be just ok, if you are not prepare for something right out of Robocop (the original one). I would gladly pay a bit extra for at least half decent quality control.

I wonder what the drive is to produce such large quantities of metal figures (ie, Napoleonics) with such "mixed" quality. I assume they never anonymously purchase their figures to test the quality of their product.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 02:31:21 PM by delbruck »

Offline rivers3162

• Librarian
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2018, 05:51:52 PM »
I have often wondered how many people are involved in running Perry Miniatures. Any questions I have submitted via their online contact form seem to always have been answered by Alan or Michael themselves and all the orders I’ve made have generally been despatched within 2 working days of placing them.

I’ve always assumed they have a few support staff, especially considering their prolific output.