Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:34:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686451
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Perry bros to release 15th century Irish?  (Read 5656 times)

Offline THE CID

• Mastermind
Re: Perry bros to release 15th century Irish?
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2018, 07:56:13 PM »
Just received the Perry Irish figures. Although very nice figures, they are again let down by the poor casting. There are loads of casting pins, which need to be removed, some which are quite difficult to pick out, until undercoated. The cleaning up took me around 2 hours. I wish the Perry twins would change their casting provider.
It's a great pity because the figures are very good with lots of animation, especially in the Kerns. There are lots of strange helmet variations on the Gallowglass, which look suitably tough looking characters.
All in all a nice range, sadly let down by the casting.
Ive seen things you people wouldn't believe - Roy Batty.

Offline delbruck

• Scientist
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2018, 10:57:27 PM »
I could be mistaken, but i am under the impression that companies that produce high quality figures (such as Aventine and Front Rank) cast their own figures.

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2018, 12:11:32 AM »
Well, whatever works for you. Do you flatten the head to give a narrow leaf-shaped blade?
Yes. Basically you can achieve even a wider spear if you want, beaten copper is quite sturdy. I have to blunt the points abit cause its very easy to impale your finger  lol

Offline Firescale Whack

• Scientist
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2018, 01:20:37 AM »
I do worry though that if the Perrys did change whoever does there casting for them whether it will mean an increase in price, as they are already very affordable. I for one don't mind spending a bit more time cleaning up if it means I don't have to spend more money.

As an aside I just got a bunch of metal ACW from the Perrys and actually found them alot cleaner casts to some Footsore Irish I bought recently which had a lot of flash on them.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2018, 12:20:31 PM »
Yes. Basically you can achieve even a wider spear if you want, beaten copper is quite sturdy. I have to blunt the points abit cause its very easy to impale your finger  lol

Cool, I may give that a try, thanks. At the moment I buy the wire spears, big and small, from various places, but I might try the DIY approach.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline aiteal

• Librarian
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2018, 06:49:24 PM »
I have often wondered how many people are involved in running Perry Miniatures. Any questions I have submitted via their online contact form seem to always have been answered by Alan or Michael themselves and all the orders I’ve made have generally been despatched within 2 working days of placing them.

I’ve always assumed they have a few support staff, especially considering their prolific output.

Coincidentally enough, there was a bit of a mix up with my order, and they sent me a world war 2 code instead of the kern (WW41 instead of WR41 I think it was) and when I emailed, I got a reply from "Alan" to say he would sent out the kern. It wasn't until I responded that I thought. "That must have been Alan himself".

But yeah, lovely minis, a few bits of flash on mine, but nothing major that wasn't cleaned up in 15 mins for the two sets, and I'm really enjoying painting them, looking forward to the mounted Irish and planning a good sized warband :)

Online Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2018, 07:18:57 PM »
Coincidentally enough, there was a bit of a mix up with my order, and they sent me a world war 2 code instead of the kern (WW41 instead of WR41 I think it was) and when I emailed, I got a reply from "Alan" to say he would sent out the kern. It wasn't until I responded that I thought. "That must have been Alan himself".

Yeah I've found they've been pretty good at helping out to fix mistakes. I had a problem with one of the WOTR wagons  - it seems one of them doesn't come with the wagoneer pictured. I picked one up at the show and realised when I got home it was a different wagoneer - no problem, as I was actually planning to get a second one sometime. A while later I ordered the same pack again, and AGAIN it came with the wrong wagoneer. Anyway, basically I emailed them about it and got a reply back (can't remember if it was Alan or Michael) apologising, and saying that he'd looked around and couldn't find any unpainted casts of that wagoneer anywhere in the house, so he sent me a couple of other alternatives he hoped I could use. So it very much has the feel of a small home-run business, which I like.

(And as for the wagons, I think it must be that one of the wagoneers pictured on the site isn't actually available.)

As for the casting quality, it's true that it's not the best, and can be a bit disheartening when you first unpack them. But I honestly believe that once painted up, they look just as good as the plastics (as long as you don't look too closely at the hands of certain figures  ;) )
I have lots of their plastics and metals, and they both have pros and cons. I'm happy with both, and they complement eachother well.
PLASTIC pros - flexibility for converting / kitbashing, very clean and finely detailed.
PLASTIC cons - you do have to be careful to get good, natural poses - if you're careless or not too bothered, you can get some very ugly, unnatural looking poses. fiddly details can get very tiring to paint.
METALS pros - all have very natural, realistic poses, many of which you can't get with the plastics alone.
METALS cons - casting issues, genuinely not as clean or finely detailed
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 07:21:10 PM by Charlie_ »

Offline THE CID

• Mastermind
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2018, 12:21:18 PM »
I for one would pay a little extra for better quality castings. When I receive the likes of Footsore, Front Rank, Crooked Dice and Hasslefree, these figures are almost ready to paint, very little prep. Although I love Perry figures the casting makes me despair at times and does put me off from ordering.

Offline jcspqr

• Librarian
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2018, 08:46:56 PM »
Does anyone produce flags/banners that would go with an Irish Gallowglass era army?

Jim

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2018, 09:11:59 PM »
I do worry though that if the Perrys did change whoever does there casting for them whether it will mean an increase in price, as they are already very affordable. I for one don't mind spending a bit more time cleaning up if it means I don't have to spend more money.

As an aside I just got a bunch of metal ACW from the Perrys and actually found them alot cleaner casts to some Footsore Irish I bought recently which had a lot of flash on them.

I dont mind the occasional air channel leftovers, or a mold line here and there. But i do mind molten faces or lumps of metal obscuring details.

Offline rivers3162

• Librarian
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2018, 10:02:54 PM »
Does anyone produce flags/banners that would go with an Irish Gallowglass era army?

Jim

Freezywater (available from Vexilia) do an Irish set for the Wars of the Roses which covers many of the Irish lords who fought at Mortimer’s Cross and Stoke Field.