Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:23:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Road to Bremen Chain of Command campaign  (Read 7918 times)

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
The Road to Bremen Chain of Command campaign
« on: February 09, 2018, 04:40:01 AM »
This is the intriguing campaign published in the Too Fat Lardies Christmas Special 2017 and sets up a late war British force against a motley collection of Germans from Volkssturm through to Falschimjager. The German player has to juggle with unreliable troops who may surrender even before a shot has been fired, but the British have time running against them. Every delay allows the Germans to build up their strength for the final scenarios. There's a host of options for the Germans, from Kriegsmarine supermines to Hitlerjugend tank killer teams. Welcome to Gotterdammerung.

As expected it's been an interesting ride so far and it's an interesting twist on the pint sized campaign concept. All played in 20mm.  You can read the first AARs here:

https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com.au/2018/02/the-road-to-bremen-scenarios-1-and-2.html
https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com.au/2018/02/the-road-to-bremen-scenario-3.html

« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 08:28:22 PM by TacticalPainter »

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The Road to Bremen Chain of Command campaign
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 04:42:48 AM »
Just read it after your FB post, great stuff.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline LordSpode1879

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 06:19:14 PM »
Interesting looking campaign! The Endkampf roll could make for some exciting/frustrating moments  lol?
Now listen to me you benighted muckers. We're going to teach you soldiering. The world's noblest profession. When we're done with you, you'll be able to slaughter your enemies like civilized men.

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 09:36:21 PM »
Interesting looking campaign! The Endkampf roll could make for some exciting/frustrating moments  lol?

For sure, after all it is quite possible with a run of bad luck that the entire German force surrenders without a fight.  Unlikely, but not impossible.  Personally I like that lack of certainty, it gives a good idea of how the German command must have felt during this period. Trying to cobble together a mixed bag of units, many of whom are unreliable and try to build a cohesive defence.  Endkampf indeed, but it’s what has made the campaign so compelling for me, although I’m sure it would frustrate the hell out of others.

Offline LordSpode1879

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 10:47:11 PM »
Definitely one of Chain of Command's strengths (for me at least) is that it takes away some of that gamerism that can afflict other sets? You cannot simply cherry pick the best killer army list, it feels much more realistic to have to make do with what you have available?

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 07:42:54 AM »
Yep, couldn’t agree more. If I was playing with elite SS, all armed with Stg 44 and supported by a Tiger II, some might think that pretty cool, but that doesn’t sit comfortably with my understanding of Germany in 1945.  I’m enjoying trying to make something worthwhile from this motley collection of units and if the fortunes of war go against me, then I’m loving the challenge of making a fight out of it.  It’s a great set of rules and the pint sized campaigns are an excellent way of capturing the feel of command and managing limited resources.

Offline LordSpode1879

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 12:04:03 PM »
Yep, couldn’t agree more. If I was playing with elite SS, all armed with Stg 44 and supported by a Tiger II, some might think that pretty cool, but that doesn’t sit comfortably with my understanding of Germany in 1945.  I’m enjoying trying to make something worthwhile from this motley collection of units and if the fortunes of war go against me, then I’m loving the challenge of making a fight out of it.  It’s a great set of rules and the pint sized campaigns are an excellent way of capturing the feel of command and managing limited resources.

And the greater the glory if you win with dispirited regulars and barely trained levies?

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2018, 01:17:13 PM »
Read both the AARs. I am enjoying this mini campaign. Can't wait for the refight at the bridge.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline LordSpode1879

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2018, 10:18:23 PM »
Read both the AARs. I am enjoying this mini campaign. Can't wait for the refight at the bridge.

Heartily seconded! Well written and insightful AAR's like these are extremely inspirational!

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 05:39:05 AM »
The British return to have another go at forcing the Heer platoon from the bridge.  This time around they have some additional support from the battalion, but will it be enough to make a difference?  The full AAR is here http://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com.au/2018/02/the-road-to-bremen-scenario-3-round-two.html

Offline LordSpode1879

• Scientist
Re: The Road to Bremen Chain of Command campaign Updated 16 02 18
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 10:25:41 AM »
Another excellent of AAR! I particularly liked your forward defensive strategy, it was so close to winning you that game! I would say the destruction of the Sherman could have been crucial to a German victory if you had succeeded in killing off that last engineer? Taken together that would have represented a significant hit on the British FM!

I wonder though if his death could have forced a British withdrawal if they were unable to completely clear the bridge of obstacles?

Perusing your superb blog I spotted your rather nifty idea of swapping out wounded JL's and SL's for wounded figures....simple and elegant way of keeping down the amount of unsightly clutter!

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 01:52:38 PM »
Great AARs and really nice table.  Why does your opponent keep bringing his tank into Panzerschrek range?  Surely his best bet is to force you to deploy with his infantry, then bring his tank on and blast you to bits at range with HE?

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2018, 05:24:53 PM »
Brilliant stuff.

Offline LordSpode1879

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2018, 07:40:49 PM »
Great AARs and really nice table.  Why does your opponent keep bringing his tank into Panzerschrek range?  Surely his best bet is to force you to deploy with his infantry, then bring his tank on and blast you to bits at range with HE?

If his opponent is anything like me he possibly suffers from 'tank invulnerability syndrome' where you trundle across the table in your faux-armoured behemoth only to be taken out by the Panzerschreck/bazooka/piat (no laughing at the back there!)........you assumed couldn't even scratch your paintwork?

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2018, 08:12:57 PM »
If his opponent is anything like me he possibly suffers from 'tank invulnerability syndrome' where you trundle across the table in your faux-armoured behemoth only to be taken out by the Panzerschreck/bazooka/piat (no laughing at the back there!)........you assumed couldn't even scratch your paintwork?

I think the lesson here is if you are a Sherman tank commander, donate  every building a couple of rounds of the 75 before going anywhere near.
I think the game has played out fairly realistic historically so far.