Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:53:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686475
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Road to Bremen Chain of Command campaign  (Read 7906 times)

Offline LordSpode1879

• Scientist
Re: The Road to Bremen Chain of Command campaign Updated 16 02 18
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2018, 11:21:37 PM »
I think the lesson here is if you are a Sherman tank commander, donate  every building a couple of rounds of the 75 before going anywhere near.
I think the game has played out fairly realistic historically so far.

Agreed....when there is even the slightest probability a couple of rounds of HE should clear up any lingering doubt as to whether the building is occupied or not?
Now listen to me you benighted muckers. We're going to teach you soldiering. The world's noblest profession. When we're done with you, you'll be able to slaughter your enemies like civilized men.

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2018, 12:46:50 AM »
Why does your opponent keep bringing his tank into Panzerschrek range?  Surely his best bet is to force you to deploy with his infantry, then bring his tank on and blast you to bits at range with HE?

I think he's been asking himself the same question.  In this instance he knew my squad was pinned and therefore couldn't use their panzerfausts, but he completely forgot I had a panzerschreck team I could deploy. In many ways that sums up some of the beauty of CoC, while the gamer appears to be 'all seeing' the game itself has mechanics that undermine that yet give what feels like a historical outcome.  The golden rule for any tank commander is to approach late war German infantry with extreme caution, not to mention plenty of your own supporting infantry leading the way.

Offline Truscott Trotter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2018, 02:58:51 AM »
Funny I am reading an account of a tank troop commander in Normandy and he said exactly that!
The golden rule for any tank commander is to approach late war German infantry with extreme caution, not to mention plenty of your own supporting infantry leading the way.

Offline LordSpode1879

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2018, 11:21:01 PM »
The trouble with those pesky panzerschrecks is their good range.....you don't necessarily have to wander too close with an armoured vehicle before you're within the danger zone?

Offline Truscott Trotter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2018, 08:02:19 AM »
That's right 24" and you are within the second range band so only a 6+ to hit with 2D6  :'(

Offline LordSpode1879

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2018, 01:59:28 PM »
That's right 24" and you are within the second range band so only a 6+ to hit with 2D6  :'(

Much closer and you have to factor in panzerfausts and the les enfant perdus ....or Panzer-knacker teams

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2018, 12:36:05 AM »
The British now move further down the road to Bremen and on to Map 4 of the campaign.  Having dealt with the Heer platoon defending the previous map what lay ahead was a mystery. Would it be fierce resistance or meek surrender? Perhaps the thunderous blast of a Kriegsmarine supermine? Or then again, some German farmers quietly going about their business? The added unknown factor of what map is defended and, if it is, if the defenders will stand and fight adds another layer of suspense to what is turning out to be a great little campaign with a great feel for the final months of the war.  The full AAR for the next stage of the campaign is here https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com.au/2018/02/the-road-to-bremen-scenario-4.html

Offline LordSpode1879

• Scientist
Re: The Road to Bremen Chain of Command campaign Updated 26 02 18
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2018, 02:19:39 PM »
Another excellent AAR and a showcase for Chain of Command! Superbly balanced campaign with both players on a knife edge of uncertainty. The tension builds with each new map ...will the Germans stand one last time or shuffle off into captivity?

This particular AAR shows how quickly the initiative can pass from one side to the other! The British seemed to have this well in hand with a well thought out and patient attack yet in the blink of an eye the Fallschirmjaeger pulled it back and forced their foes into a retreat!

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2018, 12:42:28 AM »
Thanks, really glad you are enjoying following this one. 

When the British made their breakthrough it had me worried, but the fact they were leaving it to a single squad with insufficient support always gave me hope that a swift riposte might swing things around.  Which, of course, is exactly what happened.  The best thing was that it felt right - junior commanders on the spot making vital decisions that influence events. 

Once the British Corporal was out of action the section was at a disadvantage and with the Platoon Sergeant a long way off, the British lacked a senior member of the platoon to try to rally them.  On the other hand the Germans had the Feldwebel on hand and able to command three squads.  It's not called Chain of Command for nothing......

Offline LordSpode1879

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2018, 11:15:18 AM »
Thanks, really glad you are enjoying following this one. 

When the British made their breakthrough it had me worried, but the fact they were leaving it to a single squad with insufficient support always gave me hope that a swift riposte might swing things around.  Which, of course, is exactly what happened.  The best thing was that it felt right - junior commanders on the spot making vital decisions that influence events. 

Once the British Corporal was out of action the section was at a disadvantage and with the Platoon Sergeant a long way off, the British lacked a senior member of the platoon to try to rally them.  On the other hand the Germans had the Feldwebel on hand and able to command three squads.  It's not called Chain of Command for nothing......

The attack did have something of the forlorn hope about it most definitely! The British seemed by that stage somewhat overextended and were perhaps relying on a level of disorganisation and defeatism in their foes that was not actually present?

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2018, 02:55:54 PM »
Excellent ARR.
Lots of great looking figures.
Looks like you are having a fun time playing out the games.
Look forward to the next battle.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2018, 11:03:22 AM »
Great AAR and game again. is the PAK 40 allowed to be redeployed before the next game, so that the Brits don't know where it is?  Thinking about that made me wonder what the interval between turns is, does it follow on immediately or is it meant to be next day for convenience sake? 
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2018, 01:44:20 PM »
Excellent AARs - read them all at one sitting. Reminds me of 20mm WW2 games I played at the beginning of my wargame career in 1970. Lots of atmosphere, uncertainty and tension.

Terrific. Thanks for sharing.

Doug

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2018, 05:22:33 AM »
Great AAR and game again. is the PAK 40 allowed to be redeployed before the next game, so that the Brits don't know where it is?  Thinking about that made me wonder what the interval between turns is, does it follow on immediately or is it meant to be next day for convenience sake?

Yes, the PAK 40 can redeploy.  The game follows the lead units of the British.  If they are held up, they are able to call up more support from the main column and mount a new attack.  It's assumed some time has passed, enough for the defenders to change dispositions.

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2018, 05:24:17 AM »
Well we are back for more.  Could the British make more progress at the second attempt?  They would have more support to draw on and with time ticking they need to make it count. The full AAR is here https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com.au/2018/03/the-road-to-bremen-scenario-4-round-two.html