Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:38:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Road to Bremen Chain of Command campaign  (Read 7909 times)

Offline johnl5555

• Librarian
    • Wargamer Printing
Re: The Road to Bremen Chain of Command campaign Updated 09 03 18
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2018, 06:58:26 PM »
I have been reading all of these mini-campaigns you have posted. They really are exceptional! Great looking battles and figs. They really keep you on the edge of your seat! TFL has no better way to show how great CoC is and how well they set up those mini-campaign supplements. Really good stuff!!!!!!
Owner JS Wargamer Printing. 3D printing miniatures, buildings and terrain.
https://wargamerprinting.com/

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2018, 04:54:55 AM »
Thanks!  You bear a remarkable similarity to LordSpode1879, it must be the avatars   ;)

Offline LordSpode1879

• Scientist
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2018, 05:47:30 PM »
Thanks!  You bear a remarkable similarity to LordSpode1879, it must be the avatars   ;)

A change is as good as a rest as they say  :D
Now listen to me you benighted muckers. We're going to teach you soldiering. The world's noblest profession. When we're done with you, you'll be able to slaughter your enemies like civilized men.

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2018, 12:33:10 AM »
After a few weeks delay we get back into the action.

Scenario 8 and campaign turn 8, if the British can win this game, then they have won the campaign. It really has come down to the wire in what has been a very enjoyable campaign so far. So is this the end, or just the beginning of the end? Will the Germans hold on to Bremen for a little while longer yet? The full AAR is on the blog https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com.au/2018/04/the-road-to-bremen-scenario-8.html

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: The Road to Bremen Chain of Command campaign Updated 13 04 18
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2018, 02:39:03 AM »
A really fine ending.
I was on the edge of my seat.
Great photos and story telling.
Thanks so much for sharing.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 12:08:08 AM by Marine0846 »
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2018, 10:07:16 AM »
Cracking report and a great looking game.

Offline Corporal Chaos

• Scientist
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2018, 01:59:21 PM »
Wonderful AAR and great games. I have been waiting anxiously for this report. Now to the next! Thanks for sharing these.
I should be painting right now.

Offline winder

• Assistant
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2018, 06:36:19 AM »
Another great AAR and campaign, looking forward to the conclusion.

Your set of CoC campaigns has inspired me to paint up armies to do an Eastern Front campaign eventually.

Keep up the great work!

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2018, 12:51:13 PM »
Great report as always. I really missed this campaign while you were away. I was frustrated by the British player this time more than ever, he once again failed to use the mobility and firepower of his tank. Leaving it in one place  where it can be stalked by tank hunters? Oh no! I could see it coming.
As for the British centre section rushing out in the open against Germans in a building with an MG? I have done that myself a couple of times in games and it has always ended up with a lot of dead tommies laying out in the open  :(
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline LordSpode1879

• Scientist
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2018, 03:30:25 PM »
What a stunning game! First off nice terrain....really conveyed the devastation of Bremen well! A close and tense wargame with the initiative switching back and forth with bewildering speed! Kudos to the grit and determination displayed by the Fallschirmjager.....how much more punishment can they soak up?

Awesome AAR up to the very high standards you have established in this campaign and the earlier ones! Literally can't wait to see how this brilliantly balanced campaign ends! Thank you for taking the time to post it!

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2018, 11:27:55 PM »
I was frustrated by the British player this time more than ever, he once again failed to use the mobility and firepower of his tank. Leaving it in one place  where it can be stalked by tank hunters? Oh no! I could see it coming.

We’ve talked about this after each game.  Armour is very vulnerable at these ranges and so it can be a double edged sword, but I tend to agree.  Always handy to have a CoC die on hand so you can protect your tank with an interrupt, and always wise to steer clear of unsuppressed enemy JoP.  I think in this instance Dave wanted to take advantage of its superior range, but as it was in the open it was a relatively easy shot, even at long range for the Schreck, needing only average dice.

As for the British centre section rushing out in the open against Germans in a building with an MG? I have done that myself a couple of times in games and it has always ended up with a lot of dead tommies laying out in the open  :(

The Germans had actually fallen back from the windows at that stage, so it was a risk, but not a crazy one.  He did have the flamethrower in support as well, however once I’d deployed my third squad and returned to the windows he was definitely in a spot of bother.

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2018, 11:42:05 PM »
What a stunning game! First off nice terrain....really conveyed the devastation of Bremen well! A close and tense wargame with the initiative switching back and forth with bewildering speed! Kudos to the grit and determination displayed by the Fallschirmjager.....how much more punishment can they soak up?

Thanks, it was great to use all those ruined buildings again.  Hopefully I can use them again when TFL publish the Stalingrad campaign.

It’s going to get tough for my Fallschirmjager, I can only hope I might be lucky with my reinforcement roll before the next game, I’m going to need all the help I can get.  I have yet to succeed in holding off the British for two consecutive games, so at this rate we are heading towards a campaign draw, if I can just manage to squeeze out a victory in this coming game it will be enough for campaign victory no matter what little forces I have remaining to fight out the 10th game.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2018, 07:04:34 PM »
Another splendid AAR. I’d like to ask posters not to include Spoilers after an update of this campaign. A lot of the enjoyment of reading the blog report is not knowing the result. The games, including this recent one, see-saw from one side to the other and the end result is unpredictable. So I was disappointed that the first response gave away the winner...! Otherwise, total enjoyment.

Thanks

Doug

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2018, 11:04:11 PM »
Sorry Doug,
I was the one who let the cat out of the bag.
I have now changed my post.
Again sorry for spoiling the ending.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 12:10:08 AM by Marine0846 »

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2018, 11:12:15 PM »
I was flicking through the latest edition of Wargames Soldiers and Strategy and began reading Richard Clarke’s Up Front column (if you don’t already know, Rich is one of the owners of Too Fat Lardies and the designer of Chain of Command). I can’t tell you how pleasantly surprised I was to read this:

“One of the great joys for me is using social media to keep up with players all over the globe who are enjoying games I’ve designed. Recently, the blog reports about two chaps in New South Wales playing through a 1945 “Road to Bremen” campaign I wrote for Chain of Command have had me on the edge of my seat - to the extent that when I wake up in the morning I find myself checking to see if the next instalment has been played.”

Generous words from the big man!