Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:54:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686601
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Troy : Fall of a city.  (Read 17085 times)

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
Re: Troy : Fall of a city.
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2018, 09:31:15 AM »
Are any of the Greek characters played by Greeks?  And I doubt any of the Trojans are played by, well ...
In the light hearted comedy drama the Durrells it worked . British played by Brits and Greeks played by their own in most cases.
Surprisingly it would have been far more ground-breaking if it followed a similar path than it's revisionist diversity policy .

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2018, 07:53:39 PM »
Half of a mind to re-watch that 2004 Troy movie now, just to see which is worse. Yet at the same time, that would A) require the watching of that movie; and B) should probably be combined with another episode or two of this, to make the comparison fairer. None of that seems particularly appealing.
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Askellad

• Scientist
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2018, 09:11:48 PM »
Please stop talking about Achilles.. Patrocle is black too, there is a consistency. That's all.
Who can know real skin color of ancient greek?
Read last news about color of an bronze age britain guy...

Offline Jericho

• Librarian
    • Plastic Warfare Blog
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2018, 04:58:04 AM »
[...] Read last news about color of an bronze age britain guy...

If you're talking about Cheddar man, he was a wee bit older than the Bronze age.
He was from the Mesolithic period (+- 10000 - 4000 BCE), somewhere around 7100 BCE.
That's almost 6000 years older than the Bronze Age Trojan War.
He was still a hunter-gatherer some 3000 years before the Neolithic revolution and 5000 years before the British Bronze Age.

A lot has happened to change a black Neolithic man into a white Bronze Age man over the span of thousands of years.

About the discussion itself; since when have TV shows, or documentaries for that matter, ever been really historically correct? In the best case it's an easy to swallow generalised basic primer about the subject or it has been the projection of current affairs unto past times.

De hem weert, ic salt hem lonen.

Plastic Warfare Blog

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2018, 06:49:29 AM »
P
Who can know real skin color of ancient greek?

Not that different from today . Maybe slightly fairer on average than today.
There has been some  population change over the centuries as everywhere.  The last was the Asia Minor Christians (Greek culturally) in the 20s arriving in mainland Greece from the defunct Ottoman Empire after the failed "Great Ideal"

Offline N.C.S.E

• Scientist
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2018, 07:14:51 AM »
Had no idea about the programme until this thread. Not all that interested given what I'm reading.

The whole Eastern Mediterranean world was extremely interconnected in this period, Homer has his heroes running all over the place to Egypt even and references Ethiopia into the bargain ("on the furthest limits of mankind" mind you). I would think that all the actors would have that olive Mediterranean skin. White skin is reserved for them northern barbarians!

A depiction of the Iliad with gods included is a new concept (given that half the depictions ignore the gods entirely).

Someday someone will do a good adaption of the Iliad. The Odyssey has a serviceable film from the 90s, otherwise it's even more barren.

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2018, 02:54:32 PM »
About the discussion itself; since when have TV shows, or documentaries for that matter, ever been really historically correct? In the best case it's an easy to swallow generalised basic primer about the subject or it has been the projection of current affairs unto past times.
Big difference between "really historically correct" and, well, however this would be classified. Most viewers may not be aware of it, but somebody riding a stirrupped horse must be around 2000 years off. That's quite a lot.  lol In that light, referring to Artemis as Diana is only a few centuries wrong I guess...

Offline charla51

• Librarian
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2018, 05:49:25 PM »
" ... but somebody riding a stirrupped horse must be around 2000 years off."

Health & Safety, mate.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2018, 07:52:04 PM »
Most viewers Don't care and just want to watch a fun tv show, but somebody riding a stirrupped horse must be around 2000 years off.

Fixed that for you ;D
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2018, 07:38:50 AM »
Thread edited. Let’s keep off racism as a topic please - no politics wanted here. Feel free to reread the rules if you need a reminder we don’t do those sort of subjects on this wargaming forum. Thanks.

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2018, 08:32:02 AM »
Had my first impressions. Actually not that bad. Everything at least looks vaguely Mycenean. There are (or will be) chariots. The ships get me to consider building a 28mm galley again. And the big battle scenes have yet to come. Me for one will be watching this.

And for those suffering from wrong tank syndrome: Homer himself didn't even bother to get the history right. So who am I to judge?  :D
I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2018, 12:40:34 PM »
Thread edited. Let’s keep off racism as a topic please - no politics wanted here. Feel free to reread the rules if you need a reminder we don’t do those sort of subjects on this wargaming forum. Thanks.

PERFECT!!!

Had my first impressions. Actually not that bad. Everything at least looks vaguely Mycenean. There are (or will be) chariots. The ships get me to consider building a 28mm galley again.

Hope it's a flying galley for Barsoom!  ;)

And the big battle scenes have yet to come. Me for one will be watching this.

And for those suffering from wrong tank syndrome: Homer himself didn't even bother to get the history right. So who am I to judge?  :D

Also PERFECT!!!

« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 12:46:15 PM by dinohunterpoa »
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2018, 10:21:59 PM »
I thought it was a bit rubbish  :?

A lot of the younger 'heroes' were very forgettable and the inclusion of the gods didn't seem to fit quite right with me. Looked ok though.
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2018, 10:29:40 PM »
Some people probably need to adjust their expectations of a TV show on at peak time on a Saturday!
I think it's fine and suitably entertaining - does what it's meant to do!  :D

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2018, 08:09:14 AM »
There are indeed many interpretations/adaptations of myths or classical tragedies where the director chooses to place the characters in a modern, post-modern, or even futuristic setting. For example Titus Andronicus, Coriolanus, Hamlet as films goes, countless theatrical plays. Only in Greece there must be hundrends of productions where the costume department is given a free rein.
But there is a difference here. This show actually tries to maintain a contemporary image with the tales about the Trojan War. They are making an effort to present themselves as period drama. And thats were the critisism steps in. They could set it in a galaxy far far away and nobody would judge any of their creative choices.

Thread edited again - as above.
Guys, PLEASE leave alone race / racism as a topic. It doesn't belong on this forum, whatever the rights or wrongs of the arguments either way. It'll only end up in a fight, which is why we don't deal with difficult, emotive real life topics here in our happy little hobby world of playing with toy soldiers.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 02:42:15 PM by Captain Blood »