Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:55:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Troy : Fall of a city.  (Read 17078 times)

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
Re: Troy : Fall of a city.
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2018, 09:07:28 PM »
Just finished watching the second episode, I'm quite enjoying it. It's definitely in the same wheelhouse as 'Vikings' but I enjoy that show too!

Still not as good as the Tony Robinson and Richard Curtis kids series though.

Offline charla51

• Librarian
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2018, 10:23:52 PM »
Perhaps, with the introduction of Odysseus, there could well be a sequel?

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2018, 10:25:41 PM »
My problem, even more than the casting decisions, is that the show is boring. Simply, I couldn't relate with the characters. The good thing, of course, is that now I am not tempted to start another miniature project!  lol

Offline charla51

• Librarian
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2018, 11:30:38 AM »
Episode 3: Drivel.

Bronze Age Special Ops spliced alongside the Bronze Age Chattering Classes.

The whole episode reminded me of a 1950s 'B' Western film, where the heroic cavalry captain (usually Randolph Scott) slips out of the Apache-beleaguered outpost to bring the relief column.

Conversely, some of  the physical detail seems historically accurate: The bronze cuirass, the bronze spear head; the fact that the bra hadn't been invented then.

Offline Unlucky General

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2018, 06:26:28 PM »
I'm finding very well done and I'm enjoying it more - much more than I expected to. Compare this production with that dreadful Templar knight series Knightfall ... yikes.

I know that these forums generate feeding frenzies of dramatic criticisms but ask yourselves - has anything else on this topic done better? I'd say that this is the best telling of the story we've ever had ... so far.

As far as creative license goes debate continues about the historical reality or otherwise of the Troy legend. So, this opens the ball game as far as playing with interpretations which I always enjoy - what twist will the writers and producers come up with this time? Be a bit boring otherwise.

Achilles' mother was a goddess and his father was a Myrmidon. The Myrmidons did not share the same ancestry as the Greeks as by mythology they were supposed to be created by Zeus from a colony of ants. Neither Achilles nor his men were Thesallians in the modern or classical sense. I think it's inspired that the casting director has picked up on this and played with the differences - they were apart from the rest of the Greeks.

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2018, 06:38:06 PM »

Achilles' mother was a goddess and his father was a Myrmidon. The Myrmidons did not share the same ancestry as the Greeks as by mythology they were supposed to be created by Zeus from a colony of ants. Neither Achilles nor his men were Thesallians in the modern or classical sense. I think it's inspired that the casting director has picked up on this and played with the differences - they were apart from the rest of the Greeks.
I wouldn't want to be in your shoes with your theory in a bar in Piraeus

As they say in the land of Homer/Herodotus
"Go and tell the Spartans"
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 06:42:20 PM by Lysandros »

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2018, 07:59:07 PM »

I like this! That explanation I can buy.

Online Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2018, 08:30:31 PM »
I wouldn't want to be in your shoes with your theory in a bar in Piraeus

OMG - do you mean he’d be totally confounded by a flood of closely reasoned argument? 🤓

Doug

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2018, 08:33:14 PM »
has anything else on this topic done better? I'd say that this is the best telling of the story we've ever had ... so far.
Blind Guardian - And Then There Was Silence.
At least if you're the kind of a person who enjoys a 14 minute long power metal song. If so, it's a suitably epic adaptation.

And if it's just any telling of the story, the original written by that Greek fellow isn't half bad. To simultaneously be a glorification and criticism of war and its heroes is no mean feat. Probably more than may be expected of a televised series, but still.. ah well, won't say any more of it. Book's better though, as so often is the case.
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Unlucky General

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2018, 02:32:00 AM »
Oh, and I forgot to declare a bias. The lead is another Aussie actor and fellow-countryman. Like the movie Thor and the latest Perseus it looks like they wanted consistency? Advance Australia Fairytale! ;D

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2018, 07:44:07 AM »
Oh, and I forgot to declare a bias. The lead is another Aussie actor and fellow-countryman. Like the movie Thor and the latest Perseus it looks like they wanted consistency? Advance Australia Fairytale! ;D
Yes l see your point .As Australia is a world leader in Tv drama with many global masterpieces such as the "Flying Doctors " renown bush kangaroo and
outstanding kitchen sink soaps , Troy must come across as beacon of brilliance.
I am sure it would be even more popular in the land of the billabong if Aboriginal actors were used to play the Hellenes as they are rarely used in any Aussie productions.

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2018, 08:04:21 AM »
Could we please stop this exchange on ethnicities? It's going nowhere but into insults and persuasion battles. Boring as hell, and not in the right place on a wargaming forum.
If you must talk about a TV show, make it a discussion worth having here.

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2018, 09:18:23 AM »
Finally watched episode 2 and will see episode 3 tonight. I am still quite enjoying it to be honest. I really liked how the gods blessed their chosen heroes before the battle. Definitely the best TV adaption I have seen and good to see some Bronze on the telly.

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2018, 04:08:31 PM »
I like this! That explanation I can buy.
I still prefer the Shanower treatment. Achilles is portrayed more or less as the child of a dysfunctional family. Perfect on the outside, always admired, but within he clearely struggles with himself. Thats why he is volatile and one moment he is capable of great compassion but the next one he can easily massacre a city.
It is really important for the story to have an almost ideal Achilles.

Ιts interesting that one probable etymology of the name Achilleas means  ''the one who wanders in sadness''.

Offline charla51

• Librarian
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2018, 09:27:24 AM »

AOI!