Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:28:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Troy : Fall of a city.  (Read 17091 times)

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
Re: Troy : Fall of a city.
« Reply #90 on: May 02, 2018, 07:02:19 PM »
I think not. Granted that most people discussing the casting choices of Achileus and Patroclus, possibly do it for the wrong reasons and agenda. But that does not mean that everyone who disagrees with those choices is racist or a bigot.

You think not what?

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #91 on: May 02, 2018, 08:47:38 PM »
You think not what?
I already answered.

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2018, 09:57:48 PM »

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2018, 10:12:02 PM »
Surely the biggest controversy is the horse-riding and use of stirrups? Wasn't that what everyone talked about?

No, still just me...  ;D

I always look out for that and it always annoys me.

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #94 on: May 03, 2018, 12:03:47 AM »
I do not believe you have.
But I did. In any case, the "edgy"  casting choices is the main reason why people discuss this otherwise forgettable series. Btw I remember a previous "interesting" casting choice for Achileus. In Helen of Troy he was portrayed as a pumped up bald drooling giant dressed in leather straps, smashing things, as if he had just stumbled out of a skinheads concert.

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #95 on: May 03, 2018, 12:53:59 AM »
Its. Not. A. Documentary.

I ll keep that in mind, thanks for your input  :)

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #96 on: May 03, 2018, 11:37:57 AM »

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #97 on: May 03, 2018, 11:46:17 AM »
I think not. Granted that most people discussing the casting choices of Achileus and Patroclus, possibly do it for the wrong reasons and agenda. But that does not mean that everyone who disagrees with those choices is racist or a bigot.

Where did I say that?
You seem to be determined to make a point.

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #98 on: May 03, 2018, 01:05:32 PM »
Where did I say that?
You seem to be determined to make a point.
I already made my point and you aswered upon it, I then answered upon your point. Its called a conversation.
Anyway everything is fine, the king is fully dressed, moving on...

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #99 on: May 03, 2018, 07:11:37 PM »
the elephant in the room
the king is fully dressed
the "edgy"  casting choices

You keep right on blowing that dog whistle. ::)

the "edgy"  casting choices
The phrase you are looking for is "Nontraditional casting". I would have said colourblind casting, but I've clearly been dozing in SJW classes recently  :D
Nontraditional casting "is defined as the casting of ethnic minority actors in roles where race or ethnicity is not germane"
An example of ethnicity being not germane would be the casting of the role of a mythical human fathered by a mortal man and an immortal woman in a modern TV adaptation of an allegorical mythic tale more than 4,000 years old.
Your earlier post makes reference to the play being set in historical Greece. It isn't. It's set in a version of Greece. A designers idea of a type of Greece. As I said: Not A Documentary.
casting choices is the main reason why people discuss this otherwise forgettable series.
The last post about casting choices in this thread was on page 4 on March 5th. Two months and three pages ago. Until you decided to dredge it back up.

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #100 on: May 03, 2018, 07:22:25 PM »
Gentlemen, i think this chat, chat is getting us nowhere, dont you agree?

We are discussing here if we liked or not the series and if we can have some crazy ideas for hour games so stick to that and dont change the subject and the propose of this thread please. :)

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #101 on: May 04, 2018, 06:34:12 AM »
If I were to run a Troy game, building 2 factions in 28mm which manufactures would I be looking at?

I'd prefer plastics over metal, but that would probably leave me with nothing but Victrix greek...

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #102 on: May 04, 2018, 09:08:21 AM »
I have large amounts of the Foundry range and !I've them apart from the crazily thick shields. Some are even painted!
Recently however I have been toying with games set in a more mythological possibly Hollywood version of the ancient world. So have been buying all sorts of ranges that a few years ago I would have scoffed at for being fantasy.
Crocodile games for Amazon's, priests and spellcasters.

Offline bong-67

• Librarian
« Reply #103 on: May 04, 2018, 09:08:57 AM »
Hi,
One of my friends and I built Warhammer Ancient Battle Armies for the Trojan war about 20 years ago.  He used the Redoubt Mycenaean figures for his Greek army and even after 20 years they are still really nice figures.  The range is here:  https://www.redoubtenterprises.com/product-category/ancients/trojan-wars/
It's quite comprehensive and includes heroes and Helen.
I built my Trojan army to have a different look.  At the time, Redoubt were the only manufacturer of Trojan War figures and I didn't want to use them because then we'd have two armies with the same look.  I mostly used Wargames Foundry Hittites (https://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/hittites-turkey-and-syria-1400bc-850bc) with some allied Cananites and Lybians (https://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/mitanni-hurrians-syrians-canaanites-and-hyskos-1500bc-1000bc and https://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/the-libyans) and some Redoubt Lukkans.  My rationale was that since Troy was a city in Asia Minor it might copy the style of the major power of the region at the time, the Hittites and being a wealthy city state would also recruit mercenaries from across the near east.
Of course if you want to have a Mycenaean look for the Trojans, there are now more manufacturers doing Mycenaean figures.  Wargames Foundry have a nice range (https://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/myceneans-minoans-and-the-trojan-war-1600-800bc) and Eureka have a new one just out (http://www.eurekamin.com.au/index.php?cPath=87_126_865&page=1&sort=3a).  I saw these at this year's Salute and they are lovely.
Another decent range of Mycenaeans at a very affordable price is by Newline at https://newlinedesigns.co.uk/product-category/newline-designs-28mm-ranges/newline-designs-28mm-ranges-biblical/newline-designs-28mm-ranges-biblical-mycenean/
They also do other Biblical ranges including Hittites, and these match the Wargames Foundry ones very well.

I really enjoyed Troy:  Fall of a City.  Sadly my friend died a couple of years ago but I inherited his lovely Greek army.  Now I own both armies I plan on reviving my Trojan war gaming.  I've already tried using Chariot Rampant, the Bronze Age variant of Lion Rampant and it works really well.
Hope this helps,
All the best,
George.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 09:11:14 AM by bong-67 »

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #104 on: May 04, 2018, 09:49:28 AM »
Also worth checking Black Tree Designs range. They are very nice.

About plastics i´m afraid you only have Victrix and Warlord Greeks. But i think their equipment is much later than the period in question.