Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 09:42:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689781
  • Total Topics: 118296
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dish Detergent in Army Painter Quickshades  (Read 1610 times)

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
Dish Detergent in Army Painter Quickshades
« on: February 09, 2018, 05:57:00 PM »
Hello all! Quick question.  I've heard a drop of liquid dish detergent can be helpful in washes to keep them flowing into the recesses and not sitting on top of the flat surfaces.  Does this still work with Army Painter quickshades ("the dip"), and if not is there an equivalent technique?  Thanks!  :D

Offline mxconnell

• Student
    • The Lead Covenant
Re: Dish Detergent in Army Painter Quickshades
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 08:13:37 PM »
Hi,

My quickshades experience is minimal, but when I see the phrase "dip" I think of the tins of quickshade. I would think the tins, not being acrylic, are not be compatible with dish detergent.

The small bottles of quickshade are acrylic so should work with detergent. I like the idea. I will give it a try tonight as I have only used them straight out of the bottle and find the acrylic quickshades stain the highlights more than I would like. It would be nice if a drop of dish detergent would fix that.

Martin

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 09:48:26 PM »

I've mixed cleaning detergent with Army Painters small bottle wash and shades without any problem. I don't know if it work with their suff sold in can... :?
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 09:08:21 AM »
As said above, the QuickShade "dip" is unlike the usual acrylic-based washes so detergent will not help if flow, it might not even mix at all. The QuickShade is a combination of pigment and thick gloss varnish. Very gloopy stuff. I have stopped using it quickly because I didn't like the results. You can't paint highlights/drybrush afterwards because the surfaces get smoothed over, and even when brushing it on carefully it creates a very thick coat that takes from the sharpness of any details.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 07:47:31 PM »
As said above, the QuickShade "dip" is unlike the usual acrylic-based washes so detergent will not help if flow, it might not even mix at all. The QuickShade is a combination of pigment and thick gloss varnish. Very gloopy stuff. I have stopped using it quickly because I didn't like the results. You can't paint highlights/drybrush afterwards because the surfaces get smoothed over, and even when brushing it on carefully it creates a very thick coat that takes from the sharpness of any details.

Quickshade really is has the same medium as floor wax, doesn't it?

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 08:13:47 PM »
See Lukes Aps

He shows how to make own wash and advice on detergents like Fairy.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 08:15:39 PM by Golgotha »

Offline Charles92027

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 05:17:52 AM »
I've mixed cleaning detergent with Army Painters small bottle wash and shades without any problem.
Calimero, I use Army Painter small bottle washes, how much detergent do you add? How well does it work?

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 11:05:07 AM »
I thin it with white Spirit, I wouldn't put detergent in it. Never tried it but it's not water based so I doubt it'd mix well.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 11:12:40 AM by Bugsda »
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline jazbo

• Librarian
    • My GNW Project Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 11:21:04 AM »
That really is simply not true.

I have used it for years and it certainly does NOT do that, not even on 10mm figures.  You're putting too much on, simple as that.

You're also missing the point of using it.  Paint in light tones, paint on army painter, done.  It's for rapid completion, not for using as a wash.

If you *must* highlight after using it, brush on a thin coat of matt varnish.  Takes about five seconds a figure.

10mm figures with AP dark tone brushed on.  They don't look "gloopy" or with detail gone?

« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 11:25:56 AM by jazbo »
My Great Norther War Project Blog: GNW Gaming

Offline Frostie

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 08:16:42 AM »
That really is simply not true.

I have used it for years and it certainly does NOT do that, not even on 10mm figures.  You're putting too much on, simple as that.

You're also missing the point of using it.  Paint in light tones, paint on army painter, done.  It's for rapid completion, not for using as a wash.

If you *must* highlight after using it, brush on a thin coat of matt varnish.  Takes about five seconds a figure.

10mm figures with AP dark tone brushed on.  They don't look "gloopy" or with detail gone?

Jabo,

I agree with you.  I use AP Dark Tone Dipm brushed on on all my figures 10mm and 15mm and do not have any problems.  The only time it gets 'gloopy' is if you use an old tin that has been opened for a few months.  I

It is a shame when it does 'gloop' as i find i only use about half a tin at a time.

Great GNW project by the way!