Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:37:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690596
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Clam Packs: Idea, organize like retail? Soundboard, Comments Welcome.  (Read 658 times)

Offline WallyTWest

• Scientist
  • 'Lux Mundi'
Project Name: "WallyStore"

So I've been painting small gangs for Rogue Star lately. Just finished my Judges, I was looking to paint some old Dark Legion Demnogonis minis up as a warband for them to shoot at.

Problem: Of the 6 minis I bought to execute this idea I could only find one, and that one was staring up at me through the yellowed booster pack saying: Aren't ya glad you didn't rip open that booster pack bro?

Of course the Nepharite was right... I have a tendency to take newly acquired minis out of the package, judge their complexity and shelve them until a suitable tasking or moment arrives. Being a single peice of massive lead I just left him in the booster, happy with my monopose addition and trusting he would never loose an arm or fall to peices. But now I'm left scrambling through my miniature collection trying to find the mini I lost.

Process: When I choose to execute a production- I shop for peices against my bank of acquisitions/interests. These are then compiled into a pile of lead. Based, catalogued and assembled. Sand is added to the base, black undercoat, then a brown dry brush. Then I endeavor to paint in a single batch over one sitting. Multiple batches may be pushed (like painting and glazing an army). Then some photos of the finished product. My lack of a photobucket replacement has left these miniatures un catalogued on a blog or forum unfortunately.

Problem: Projects can stall for weeks due to me not knowing what I have catalogued. Searching for components can stall advancements. Unknown catalogue acquisitions can leave me with doubled/duplicate acquisitions for the same project. (I.e., my growing Frostgrave wizard collection.) Currently acquisitions are stored in clear baggies in boxes, mixed "junk zip locks" and plastic bins. Once organized but under continual attack from constant moves/deployments and damage from miscatagorization.

Idea: Clear Plastic Clampacks are cheap. A retail like setup can be purchased and organized then hung in my basement creating a little "Wally Store" for when I embark on a project.

Ambitions: In theory It would make it easier to start and execute projects. If selling excess minis at a convention the collection would be easily presented for resale. I would have a visual understanding of everything I own.

Execution: A Box of Clampacks, A Pegboard, J Hooks, light shelving, uniform boxes for larger kits and vechicles (white card boxes for mtg)

Stile: To look like a fully stocked game store display: Somthing I find personally appealing when done correctly. (Used to work at a game store, kinda a game store snob.)

Comments Please: would you be intrested in pictures of the attempt? Have you tried Somthing similar? Comments, concerns, hearsay, goodjokes, badjokes, dirty jokes, warrants, quibbles or emotional outbursts?

EDIT- I am posting it out here because organization is Somthing we all struggle with and I think the concept is "impressive enough" it suggests it might be welcome in this forum. It's also an ongoing project- (as project need not be defined entirely as how we paint minis, but also how we organize ourselves in undertaking this task.)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 02:23:42 PM by WallyTWest »