Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:28:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Crimson Skies Planes  (Read 11425 times)

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
Crimson Skies Planes
« on: April 24, 2009, 11:32:54 AM »
Do you remember Crimson Skies? It was an old videogame, where you have to pilot really strange planes, making dogfights in rainy skies, whith zeppelins and much more...

here are the planes! I think that in a Gear Krieg army should suit splendidely!

https://www.connectstores.com/ralpartha/sp_16722.html

cheers,
Sangennaru
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 07:34:13 AM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
Re: Crimson Skies Panes
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 11:29:30 PM »
Before it was a video game, it was a FASA paper-and-chit wargame, and Ral Partha produced that whole line of nifty miniatures for it.

Glad to see RP Europe is still producing them - with both FASA and RP defunct, I'd assumed they'd gone to the great spincaster in the sky like so much of the cool stuff RP produced.

I think they're 6mm (1/300 or 1/285 scale) miniatures, but haven't ever bought any myself.

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 12:06:04 PM »
Don't forget the collectible planes done by Wizkids as well.  :-)

Grimm

Offline dexter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 11:44:48 PM »
they seem to be the same price they were when they 1st came out in the late 90's

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 08:46:11 AM »
they seem to be the same price they were when they 1st came out in the late 90's

I think they're more expensive to be honest. I have some (would like lots more) and I doubt I'd have paid ?8-9 per pack, for two rather small planes.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline dexter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 11:35:07 PM »

I think they're more expensive to be honest. I have some (would like lots more) and I doubt I'd have paid ?8-9 per pack, for two rather small planes.
8-9 what? dollars?
in the uk they were i think £4 and  £4-50  when they 1st came out.  Just looked in my lead mountain ,and found a blister packed Raven priced at £3-95. So they seem to be  the same price here.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 01:45:36 AM by dexter »

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Crimson Skies Planes
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 11:47:16 AM »
8-9 what? dollars?

Pound Sterling all the £ symbols seem to have been replaced with ? in the rebuild.

found a blister packed Raven priced at £3-95. So they seem to be  the same price here.

Yes, but the Raven came in a pack of two. The price on the store is for a single plane.

Offline dexter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 11:14:32 PM »
8-9 what? dollars?

Pound Sterling all the £ symbols seem to have been replaced with ? in the rebuild.

found a blister packed Raven priced at £3-95. So they seem to be  the same price here.

Yes, but the Raven came in a pack of two. The price on the store is for a single plane.

I bought my Crimson Skies  aircraft as soon as they became available and all the initial aircaft were in single packs so far ive found the following
( 20-100 MK210 Raven)which  has a £3-95 price tag as does the
(20-101 Curtis-Wright J2 Fury )  at £3-95  the
(20-111 Hughes Firebrand) is a bigger aircraft at £4-50

From what i recall the only twin packs were for the autogyros and they were tiny
Some of the later plastic aircraft , for the whizkids game came in two or four packs and i think were around the £10 mark but i didnt buy any of these while they were 'new' only when they were discounted so cant be sure

Anyway thats probably enough chat about prices of figures from ten years ago

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 09:59:27 AM »
I too bought them when they came out. All of mine are in pairs..... it's possible I bought two of each and just thought they came as a pair. As you say, it was quite some time ago   :)

Speaking of the whizkids ones, are they comparable in size? I've seen them on offer occasionaly but never picked them up. If they're essentially the same, I might get some. It's about time I played again.

Offline dexter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 01:10:51 PM »
I too bought them when they came out. All of mine are in pairs..... it's possible I bought two of each and just thought they came as a pair. As you say, it was quite some time ago   :)

Speaking of the whizkids ones, are they comparable in size? I've seen them on offer occasionaly but never picked them up. If they're essentially the same, I might get some. It's about time I played again.

I bought some plastic duplicates of the metal Grumman E-1C Avenger and the Hughes Firebrand. They are exactly the same size and have the same detail, and they have the advantage of being nicely painted even for a mass produced model.

The original model aircraft in general did vary in scale a lot. They had the problem that no matter how big the planes were they all had to fit in the same size blister pack. So the Vampire which was a huge plane in the game is slimmer and smaller in scale than some of the single seat  light fighters such as the defender.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 07:58:09 PM »
Excellent, I want to grab a few Bloodhawks and they look pretty good. Thanks.

Offline dexter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2009, 10:03:51 PM »
Excellent, I want to grab a few Bloodhawks and they look pretty good. Thanks.
They are and in the original game they are an excellent aircraft

Offline Parriah

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 05:07:03 PM »
I first played the Wiz Kids version. I fell in love with the franchise. I proceeded to print out all the old CS-Universe site articles and fiction, bought every book that came out in english(in USA anyway) and have the 2nd and 3rd Wings of vengence books in German and am translating them. I got all the WK pieces, have converted several of the Aces figs into different ones (Turned a Maria Sanchez into a Black Swan another into a Betty Charles" , a Charlie Steel into a "Tex", A Kahn into "Big John"  A Louis Theubideaux into a Justine Battleaxe Perot, and turned a Red Skulls squad of Peacemakers and Kesterals into a Medusa's squad and a couple of others I cant call to mind right now.

Glad to see there are still others in the skies of the fractured United States of 1937

BTW, I scanned in the cardstock planes from the FASA set, printed them out ands glued them to plastic card stock, like credit cards, and assembled them in a more rewalistic fashion, Great for the durability, the staco cardstock ones in the boxed game wear out FAST.

Later Pb heads
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 05:14:07 PM by Parriah »
Quality has a quantity of its own
FIAWOL!
Br549

Offline SBMiniaturesGuy

• Mad Scientist
    • SBMiniguys Blog for all things OstFront
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 09:56:42 PM »
Ral Partha emerged as Iron Wind Metals and you can still get all of the Crimson Skies planes:

http://www.ironwindmetals.com/store/index.php?cPath=14
Play the game, not the players!
http://sbminisguy.wordpress.com/
Author for THW/NUTS, Rebel Minis, HR Games

Offline richarDISNEY

• Mad Scientist
  • Rescue Drinkin' and Gamin' Club
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 03:13:56 PM »
As for the USA, the cost is about the same as they were 10 years ago. 
A few of my old bilsters say $7.99, and its $9.99 now...
And NONE of my blisters came in two planes in a pack...  Maybe you over the pond got a better deal?  lol
"What exactly is a 'Headpiece to the Staff of Ra'?"

RicharDISNEY

Rescue Drinkin' and Gamin' Club