Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:17:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Requirements for Skills - Presence?  (Read 1340 times)

Offline OldGuy59

• Assistant
Requirements for Skills - Presence?
« on: February 16, 2018, 10:33:39 PM »
The 'Inspire' skill allows Friendly models within 10" to use a Charater's Resolve, if the Character's Resolve is better.

The 'Presence' skill allows Friendly models anywhere on the table to use a Charater's Resolve, if the Character's Resolve is better.

One would think that 'Presence' would be the follow-on skill of 'Inspire', but guess what skill is required before being able to take it?    Improved Command is the printed requirement for 'Presence', not 'Inspire'.  So, one can skip Inspire, and take Improved Command, which one might not need in a three model team, then at some future time take 'Presence', and not take 'Inspire' at all.

Where do 'Inspire' and 'Presence' fit into the Character's abilities?  Are they an increase to the Character's Command Skill?  Or is it part of the Character's inate abilities?

Mis-print?

Oh!  And can these skills be used by Friendly models if the Character is not 'Normal' (either 'Face Up' or 'Face Down')?
We're all crazy.  It's only a matter of degree.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: Requirements for Skills - Presence?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 12:33:00 AM »
Well, 'Inspire' lets you take advantage of the Character's Resolve sooner (and a relatively new Treshold team may be much better off staying close together to support each other, anyway)?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline OldGuy59

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 03:13:15 AM »
Well, 'Inspire' lets you take advantage of the Character's Resolve sooner (and a relatively new Treshold team may be much better off staying close together to support each other, anyway)?

Exactly why I took 'Inspire' as my Character's free skill, to harmonize the Nominate ability with the ability to share 'Resolve'.  Prophetic, actually, now that one of my Agents has a head wound that took her 'Resolve' up to 5+. 

However, I also have a 'Sniper' under development, that I want to leave out of Close Combat.  If my Character and supporting Agent are moving across the board, I consider 'Resolve' sharing at a distance as a requirement, too.  You never know when the Lurkers will jump out of an inconvenient shadow.

Now, I'm looking at my next upgrade, and have discovered the 'Improved Command' roadblock to upgrading 'Inspire'.  I have to take a skill I don't want, nor need, to expand my Character's reach.

Perhaps by design?  Make that reach more costly, with no additional benefit to small teams?  Or, a mis-print?

Offline OldGuy59

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 05:16:27 PM »
Another thread with no 'Official' input.

1. Is the requirement for 'Presence' really 'Improved Command', or should it be 'Inspire'?

2. Can models use the Characters Resolve for 'Inspire' or 'Presence' if the Character is in Close Combat or not Normal?

Note: I would probably draw the line at 'Face Up', as the figure is still conscious. However, a case could be made that models are still 'Inspired' by the leader, and perhaps even more strongly motivated to save a downed leader.