Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:16:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689616
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: TMP relevance passing  (Read 3121 times)

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
TMP relevance passing
« on: February 20, 2018, 02:41:07 PM »
For years it was the bible for the hobby . It was full of news and in-depth debate . It was the place to go to discuss anything wargaming. 
In the last 5 years sadly there has been a major deterioration in its importance as the main player .
It's news seems rather limited, constantly pushing Warlord repackaged product , Flames etc. Where have all those stellar figures company's stuff gone. Front Rank , Calpe , Fife drum, CranTara and hosts of others .
They are never seen but why , do they regard it as little importance or are they not allowed ?
Another complaint is that is run under the dictatorship control of its owner . Critism is rarely allowed and on a whim many have been locked out for nothing more than not agreeing with these narrow views .
The forum is dated and bug ridden.  Problems are never really addressed.
The traffic on posts/threads has drastically fallen that some boards have no posts for days and many just fizzle out.
Generally most forums are on decline , Steve Dean gone , AMG on its last legs etc . Many blogs are not updated , or have stopped completely.  Years ago you could spend much time browsing but today l find I'm rarely checking.  Facebook maybe has stolen the verve but tends to be full of self gratification, little substance .
I would like to thank all on this great site LAF as it is respectful and democratic and tends to buck the trend
So is the Golden age of debate discussion over ?

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: TMP relevance passing
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 03:29:11 PM »
Even though it's been derailed and eventually shut down because of tempers flaring, this thread, only a short bit down the first page of the general sub-forum discusses this very topic in depth.

Basically, it looks like LAF is the odd duck out; staying strong, where other forums ar slowly declining due to newer media becoming more prevalent...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 05:49:37 PM »
Have to agree with you. I left TMP a few years back. It had gotten nasty, dictatorial and allowed one poster to overwhelm the site.
Now, I hear, the search engine is down and may not come back.

I am really enjoying LAF and the people who post here. Always helpful and supportive.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 06:49:31 PM »
Folks,

I really don't want to see the same course of debate as happened in the thread linked above, so please keep it civil this time, or we'll have the virtual locksmiths working overtime again.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 06:58:44 PM »
I'd like to chip in that the thing that makes LAF stand out is that it is cultivating an atmosphere friendliness, helpfulness and contribution. Complaining at lenght about TMP is nothing of that.

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 07:51:32 PM »
Yes, LAF is a very friendly place.  I'm impressed.

I cannot imagine people getting all bent out of shape discussing a hobby that is meant to bring us lots of fun and comradery.  So strange.

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 08:02:17 PM »
Hammers,

You are right. I apologize if I was out of line. That is the last thing I want for LAF.

Offline Viruz

• Scientist
    • The Metal Magic Forum is closed
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 08:28:42 PM »
If I had to choose between TMP and LAF, I would choose LAF.  ;)
I have good experiences with LAF and less good experiences with TMP.
I buy old Spacelords Miniatures from Hobby Products !
- Cybertech, Bunkerbreaker, Yoyodyne, Sarday´kin, Phagon -

Offline Von Trinkenessen

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 08:39:21 PM »
For me it is the politeness and helpfulness that Makes LAF stand out. We are here to talk about a hobby that binds us together across the ages and the globe.
To use an old cricketing analogy you are either "Gentlemen or Players".

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 08:49:01 PM »
I used to use TMP a lot but it has certainly gone downhill. Many of the interesting and knowledgeable participants have left.

LAF is my favourite forum for painting and modelling. There are some amazing projects here.

Online Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 08:50:08 PM »
I enjoy both forums they are very different beasts but I get value from both of them. I tend to just ignore the crappy stuff that crops up on TMP every now and then. To be fair my other hobby is football and wargames forums are pretty gentle places compared to your average football fans forum where swinging of man bits is pretty much compulsory.

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 09:06:02 PM »
I used to enjoy both. LAF because of its general civility and that it is more wargaming/modelling oriented. You can learn a lot about  basing and paiting here. TMP enjoyed some of their historical threads. I've learnt a lot about Russia in the Napoleonic Wars thanks to some regular contributors of Russian origin that had worked on Russian archives. It was illuminating. But it has gone downhill in the last couple of years. I can't say exactly when or why, but moderation became erratic, unfair and sometimes downright contradictory. Many of the most knowledgeable regular posters, like Sam Mustafa, stopped contributing.

Somehow I feel sad, because I really liked TMP, but now? Not that much.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 09:31:06 PM »
I wish people wouldn't come here to moan about other forums. It really isn't our way, and never has been. We've had waves of refugees from TMP over the years, and a fair few of them have tried to set up forward base camps in LAF territory from which to wage a guerilla war. It isn't appreciated.

If anyone has a beef with TMP I would suggest taking it up with Mr. Armintrout on his site and leaving LAF out of it. Forum wars benefit nobody.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 10:04:04 PM »
Yes, Plynkes has the right of it, part of LAF's culture of politeness and civility, as mentioned, is that we have never condoned bad mouthing other forums.

We're all about the toys, painting and good-natured discussion... well mostly good-natured at least.

;)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 10:05:37 PM by Arlequín »

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 10:06:54 PM »
No good can come of this thread.
It’s just retreading ground of previously locked topics.