Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:21:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689834
  • Total Topics: 118300
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Tips for battle rep videos  (Read 885 times)

Offline gmanrocks

• Mad Scientist
Tips for battle rep videos
« on: February 21, 2018, 12:31:19 PM »
Hi folks

I'm looking to start doing some Youtube battle reps for a bit of fun. Has anyone on here every done Youtube videos before, and if so, are there any tips, pieces of software or equipment they'd recommend, or just general preferences in the style of videos they like to watch?

Cheers

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Tips for battle rep videos
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 02:54:50 PM »
I can speak only as a consumer:

1) Nicely painted models.
2) Nicely painted scenery.
3) A scenic backdrop to the table is nice, but not necessary.
4) Any good video editing software should work, the only stuff I've worked with in the past was Sony Vegas maybe 5 years back.  Good software.  I don't know what's popular now.
5) If you're doing full battle reports they should be between 45 mins to 2:30.  Cut out stuff people don't need to see if it doesn't affect the story you're telling.
6) The biggest part, and the hardest: charisma.

I watch quite a few battle reports, and 90% of them I stop about ten minutes in because the presenters are grating or super awkward to watch.  There are a handful of YouTube channels which get this right and it's not something you can really teach.  If you look at my favourite channel for 40K video reports, Tabletop Tactics, they're great to watch because of the interplay between the members.  They're fun, light hearted and entertaining, while putting on a good show.  That's the X-factor I'd say which makes/breaks a successful channel.

Look at other non-battle report channels and you see the same thing; if you're easy to watch, you're easy to watch.  Uncle Atom from Tabletop Minions is a good example.  Does a podcast-esque show on his YouTube channel where he just talks into the camera about stuff and responds to chat messages.  He's charismatic, has a good voice and is easy to watch.  That's rare.

Sadly charisma or stage presence isn't something you can really teach/learn, and it will appeal to people in different fashions.  That's the only major hurdle I think for a lot of channels.  Also if you'll be appearing on camera - dress appropriately.  Some channels you see people who look like they just rolled out of bed and didn't shave or shower....if you're presenting a product (your YouTube channel), personal hygiene is still important! :D

Good luck!  Do post back if you start some videos.  I also think it's safe to say the first dozen or more will be awkward and weird and probably not get many views...it happens.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 07:13:34 PM »
Yes, all I'll say is try and make it as well presented as possible!

I've rarely seen any video battle reports that I've really enjoyed, and I usually quit on them 10 minutes in. But I have seen some which I REALLY enjoyed, so I would love to see more people do them!!!! (And do them well)

I've really enjoyed some of the games from Beasts of War - generally speaking BoW doesn't really cover the sort of gaming I'm into, but I was curious about how Bolt Action worked and found their battle report / intro game video FANTASTIC. Clear, concise, showed me how the rules worked, very entertaining... and that was without really getting any sort of close look at the minis themselves!

In contrast, I've struggled to sit through some games on youtube showcasing certain other rules systems because they take so damn long, which coupled with shaky camerawork and a mumbling presenter does NOT make for an enjoyable experience. I can think of one in particular - the guy really did a good job at explaining how the rules worked, BUT it was in multiple 20 minute videos, Turn 1 Part 1, Turn 1 Part 2, Turn 1 Part 3, Turn 2 Part 1, etc...  I can't sit through what must have been over 5 hours of youtube.

Online Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 03:33:27 AM »
As a viewer of video BatReps one of the things that turns me off right off the hop is MotionSicknessCamera. Quite often the person holding the camera gives the impression they are  swinging  it around like a brick on a string. Having done a bit of filming (not Video BatRep ) generally if you think you are moving the camera slow enough, slow down a little more. One of the best I saw was a collection of stills of beautifully painted minis as the players basically narrated the game. Have a look at the Pulp Alley videos by LAF member dphipps; they use 2 or 3 cameras which edit together nicely.

Offline gmanrocks

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 11:21:28 AM »
Thanks folks, lots to think about. At the moment the plan is just skirmish games, nothing too long. I'll try and source another camera to maybe get a variety of angles. I'll keep everyone posted!