Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:00:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Masters of the Universe - She-Ra added (update 01/08)  (Read 55300 times)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: Masters of the Universe - Well of Evil Spirits (update 12/08)
« Reply #195 on: August 13, 2019, 01:24:02 PM »
The newer stuff is well made and I like the aesthetics of almost everything, but it is a little pricey IMO.  OTOH, it certainly does lend itself to use outside their games, and if anything the scifi terrain kits are even better for that.  While I'm not the biggest fan of Age of Sigmar, the way each faction is getting a unique scenery piece as they get new army books is pretty cool and adds a lot of options that wouldn't work as part of a "generic" range.  Some of the "Endless Spells" are also quite neat as weird bits of arcane scenery or traps, and they're doing the same "each faction gets a box of specific ones" trick there like they did with the scenery.  GW will never be known for being cheap, but when you're cherry-picking what you want rather than buying to build an army for their games they start looking much more appealing.

I agree on all points.
I have my eye on a few Endless Spells too, for other projects.
Oh, and I have no interest in AoS either.
 ;)

Online white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #196 on: August 14, 2019, 04:11:25 PM »
I have a few more AoS kits stashed away for this project, so expect more. I may need to remove some iconography that doesn't fit though.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #197 on: August 14, 2019, 08:59:31 PM »
I have a few more AoS kits stashed away for this project, so expect more. I may need to remove some iconography that doesn't fit though.

I have had to remove a few Sigmar symbols and skulls recently, but with this project the skulls may actually prove beneficial at times.
It strikes me that Skeletor is the sort of chap that would like a 'selfie'.
 :D

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #198 on: August 14, 2019, 09:11:58 PM »
 Or maybe its a sculpt of good 'ol Mum & Dad  lol
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #199 on: August 14, 2019, 10:10:14 PM »
 lol lol

Like ancestral portraits of the illustrious family line.
 ;)

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #200 on: August 14, 2019, 10:52:22 PM »
lol lol

Like ancestral portraits of the illustrious family line.
 ;)

Ex-girlfriends...or maybe boyfriends.  Skeletor always had me guessing on his sexuality.  :)

Online white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #201 on: August 19, 2019, 06:16:31 AM »
I guess you could say that about most of them, with their bare muscles and pseudo bondage gear. Still, let’s not get I to that at risk of ruining our childhood memories and innocence.  ;)

Online white knight

• Galactic Brain
Re: Masters of the Universe - Copycat (update 13/06)
« Reply #202 on: June 13, 2020, 05:22:34 PM »
I hadn't painted any 30mm figure since some time last year, so with some more MotU figures on the way, it was time to get back in the saddle. While I wait for my Faker mini to arrive, I thought I'd get a headstart on his mount.

Evil Warriors - Copycat

He-Man has Battlecat and Skeletor has Panthor. It stands to reason that Faker, with his whole He-Man impersonation obsession would get his own mount. Copycat, sometimes referred to as Bogus Cat, is another fanmade creation, subject of a lot of custom action figures. A robotic duplicate of Battlecat, it sports Faker's colour scheme, so that no confusion is possible.

The fearless robot called Copycat...

The model is another of the old Grenadier Battlecat models, with a blank resin base from Fenris Games and texture added with putty.

I assume Copycat was created by Skeletor or Triclops, but as I haven't painted my Triclops yet...

Come forward, my glorious creation! Nyaaaah!

By the Sorceress' beak! What is this freakshow?

And a quick side by side of my three interpretations of Battlecat: regular, copy and anti-Eternia:

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #203 on: June 13, 2020, 10:46:44 PM »
Lovely brushwork, that orange is particularly smooth.
 :-* :-*

Online white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #204 on: June 14, 2020, 01:21:59 PM »
Thanks, I hate painting orange (which is a problem in this project as the palace guard all have it), but it came out well. Used Vallejo oranges on this one.

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #205 on: June 14, 2020, 08:04:30 PM »
Stunning

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #206 on: June 14, 2020, 08:07:19 PM »
A real labour of love  8)

Great work Seb

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #207 on: June 15, 2020, 06:04:18 AM »
I love an update from this project. Always inspirational! 8)

Online white knight

• Galactic Brain
Re: Masters of the Universe - Dragon Blaster Dragon (update 19/06)
« Reply #208 on: June 19, 2020, 08:18:03 AM »
Evil Warriors - Dragon Blaster Dragon

Dragon Blaster Skeletor was one of those figures that didn't appeal much to me as a kid, since it wasn't the original Skeletor figure, but later in life I came to appreciate it a lot more as a pretty cool toy. So I figured that if I didn't have a Dragon Blaster Skeletor in 30mm, I might be able to have the dragon itself with a little conversion work. The conversion work was mostly done more than a year ago, but somehow I never got around to ordering the chain I needed to finish it until about a week ago.

The Dragon Blaster Dragon, temporarily released from it's place on Skeletor's back
The base model is a neat little fantasy lizard figure made by the excellent Forge of Ice. Their lost worlds kind of range is very reminiscent of MotU in a lot of ways. I added the spikes on the top of its head, the collar with the keypad lock and the chain with a shackle on the other end for when Skeletor reclaims his pet. The base is a 20mm blank lipped base from Fenris Games, with added flagstone texture.

A better look at the added details, like the lock and chain.

I've released you from your bonds. Now, my pet, destroy the gate of Castle Grayskull with your hot flames!

You're too late to stop me He-Man! Your powers won't protect you from the searing hot flames of the Dragon Blaster!

For those not familiar with it, here's some awesome art by Axel Gimenez depicting the dragon!

Online white knight

• Galactic Brain
Re: Masters of the Universe - Faker with Powersword (update 21/06)
« Reply #209 on: June 21, 2020, 06:26:11 PM »
Evil Warriors - Faker with Powersword

While he has had different backgrounds in different media, the main consensus is that Faker is an evil robot built to impersonate He-Man and serve the forces of evil. Being blue skinned, depending on the medium this scheme either only works in the dark or Faker can temporarily assume He-Man's colours. Either way, he is an iconic character. As the majority of my collection is Filmation inspired, I chose to paint him here in the alternate "pink" colour scheme featured on his cardback art, which is also the version that was used in the Filmation style fanmade hommage "The Return of Faker" (sadly unreleased for viewing due to IP issues). I think this version adds more interest to the model and a welcome bit of contrast with Copy-Cat.

Faker, with his imitation Powersword

The model is another private commission done by a fan, that was available in limited quantities for a short while. The base is the usual blank lipped base with texture sculpted on and painted to match the rest of the Evil Warriors.

Some more "action" shots:

Rise, my puppet. I have created you in He-Man's image, therefore I shall name you "Faker", nyaaah!

I have created this pet for you, to aid you in your battle against that goody-two-shoes, He-Man.

"I have found you! Wait, you're not He-Man!" (in unison)

"At last, now we shall learn who is the stronger!" - "By the Goddess! What's this madness?"

Battlecat: "I hate to say this, He-Man, but we may be in some real trouble here..."

He-Man and Faker, side by side:

And a shot of Faker and Copy-Cat for the family photo album:

For those not familiar with it, a look at the inspiring original cardback illustration and "The return of Faker. I did initially consider giving him blank white eyes, like the second image, but I wanted him to look more alive.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 06:40:47 PM by white knight »