Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:01:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 570
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Masters of the Universe - She-Ra added (update 01/08)  (Read 55314 times)

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Masters of the Universe (update 08/03)
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2018, 01:57:29 PM »
"What a great rack!" *snicker*

Offline boywundyrx

• Librarian
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2018, 04:42:11 PM »
As others have said, great thread, though it cost me because I went and ordered the miniatures a couple of weeks ago and they arrived earlier this week (and are great).  I'm not going to try modifying anything in my first go-round, but we'll see how this project goes.

MOTU was more my younger brothers' thing, but over the holidays we watched a show on Netflix that traces the history of major toy lines (Star Wars, GI Joe, Barbie - which we DIDN'T watch, and MOTU), so it was sort of on the top of my mine when I came across this thread.  I'll fill in with assorted fantasy figures I have lying around for minions etc.

I figure for a terrain I may look at those fairy/gnome castles and towers showing up in my local big box craft store and give it a puke green or purple paint job.

Look forward to seeing more inspiration!

Chris

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2018, 09:01:57 PM »
I see. Post one picture of a nice rack and all the reactions start to come in.  lol

Thanks for the praise though!  :D

Great threat. You really get the right color shade of the old cartoon series.
Wish there would be a distributor in good old germany.

Bite the bullet, they're worth it.  ;)
Regarding colours, I try to stick to the cartoon with the occasional nod back to the toys. So I won't be using metallic colours on any of these.

As others have said, great thread, though it cost me because I went and ordered the miniatures a couple of weeks ago and they arrived earlier this week (and are great).  I'm not going to try modifying anything in my first go-round, but we'll see how this project goes.

MOTU was more my younger brothers' thing, but over the holidays we watched a show on Netflix that traces the history of major toy lines (Star Wars, GI Joe, Barbie - which we DIDN'T watch, and MOTU), so it was sort of on the top of my mine when I came across this thread.  I'll fill in with assorted fantasy figures I have lying around for minions etc.

I figure for a terrain I may look at those fairy/gnome castles and towers showing up in my local big box craft store and give it a puke green or purple paint job.

Look forward to seeing more inspiration!

Chris

Thanks! Glad you got inspired to dip in. The figures are great as is,  I didn't plan to do those conversion at first, it just happened.

Anything goes really with this setting, as long as it fits a certain 80s aesthetic and you paint it in bright and insance colour combinations. purples, greens, yellows, bright blues and oranges are a must.  :)

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2018, 10:26:05 AM »
Looking forward to seeing you add Man at Arms, my favourite of the toys alongside Beastman.
 :D

I've undercoated him, so he's next when I have some painting time again.

Offline Maspalio

• Scientist
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2018, 06:27:38 PM »
Wow great ! as a child, I spent so much time in my room with my MOTU toys !  :-*

Snake Mountain is a great piece of inspiration for terrain modelling ;)

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2018, 01:20:03 PM »
I love it! Is there a Trap Jaw mini? He was always one of my favourites, even though he was portraid as a bit of a coward in the comic.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2018, 01:43:37 PM »
I've undercoated him, so he's next when I have some painting time again.

Looking forward to seeing Duncan* coloured in.

*I was reminded of his name after watching an episode of the cartoon yesterday on youtube (and had forgotten about his little 'advice column' at the end of the episodes) after reading your latest update.....

I love it! Is there a Trap Jaw mini? He was always one of my favourites, even though he was portraid as a bit of a coward in the comic.

I think he may have something up his sleeve.

Offline Featherstone

• Assistant
  • *rolls 3D6* Let's just see how this goes...
    • Hollywood Games Co.
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2018, 04:41:05 PM »
‘Tis a great and honorable work you’ve got going here.

Those terrain pieces are excellent grabs for gaming; really impressive shade-work on the minis as well. Any Saturday Morning Crossovers planned?

I’m taking on the G1 Transformers IP in 15mm here, but you’re already much farther along!

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2018, 07:04:04 PM »

There is an unofficial one in a facebook group, but Quest Miniatures have announced what characters are in wave 2 that is being sculpted now and Trap Jaw is among them.

Looking forward to seeing Duncan* coloured in.

Expect much orange and green and of course a mighty 'stache.

Those terrain pieces are excellent grabs for gaming; really impressive shade-work on the minis as well. Any Saturday Morning Crossovers planned?

Well, I did start this other Saturday Morning Cartoon project, though I don't think there will be many crossovers: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=82192.0

I’m taking on the G1 Transformers IP in 15mm here, but you’re already much farther along!

Those are looking great! Very much like the cartoon. Now if they'd been 28mm they would crossover well with that other project I linked to above. :D

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2018, 07:15:36 PM »
I miss my castle Greyskull, sniff sniff

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
Re: Masters of the Universe (update 31/03)
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2018, 04:23:30 PM »
Heroic Warriors: Teela!

A strong warrior, unspoken love interest of both He-Man and Prince Adam, adopted daughter of Man-At-Arms and real daughter/hairess of the Sorceress/Goddess, ... Teela has quite the elaborate back story. The model is another great sculpt by Boris Wolszyn for Quest Miniatures and I fear I didn't quite do her justice. While she looks just fine in real life, the pictures tell a different story. Like the others, I followed the Filmation colours for the painting and avoided all metallics. The flagstone was sculpted over a standard plastic lipped base as with the others.

A strong woman holding her own in a men's world...

Not quite what I had in mind when you invited me up here to show me your sword, He-Man...

You will be mine, Teela, and through you, the power of the Sorceress!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2018, 09:24:57 PM »
Another fine addition, WK.
She looks like e still from the cartoon, spot on.
 :-* :-*

She aint got a 'tache, though....
 ;)

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2018, 06:28:51 AM »
Wow! Excellent project! :-* I seen these Miniatures on Facebook, but couldn’t justify getting them! That Boris guy is an amazing sculptor and your paint jobs do them a world of justice.

I’m suprised at how well those toy castles fit in!

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
Re: Masters of the Universe (update 1/04)
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2018, 11:48:10 AM »
Heroic Warriors - Man-At-Arms

One of the original iconic characters, Man-At-Arms, real name Duncan, is an inventor, soldier and Teela's foster father, as well as a mentor to Prince Adam . The Sorceress of Castle Grayskull asked Man-At-Arms to adopt Teela because she felt she could not raise her daughter and protect Castle Grayskull at the same time. The figure is another excellent sculpt by Boris Woloszyn for Quest Miniatures. Again, I went for a more bright, Filmation style colour scheme. The base is, as with the others, sculpted directly over the plastic base.

Man-At-Arms, guarding the gates of Castle Grayskull

A different view of the figure, using the new lightbow my wonderful wife bought for me.

The Heroic Warriors... so far...

"Get away from here, you orange fiend!" - "... Seriously, you want to go there, dude?"

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
Re: Masters of the Universe (update 1/04)
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2018, 12:01:05 PM »
Brilliant!
Love him, he looks spot on.
And, what a 'Tache!
 :-* :-*

That last shot made my day.
My two favourite MotU toys together.