Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 01:25:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Masters of the Universe - She-Ra added (update 01/08)  (Read 56136 times)

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
Re: Masters of the Universe (update 2/04)
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2018, 10:23:13 AM »
Heroic Warriors - The Goddess

The Goddess is an Eternian deity tasked with maintaining the natural order and protecting Castle Grayskull from those would plunder it. Originally, it is she who provides He-Man with the armor and weapons he needs to fight Skeletor; later, she guards the Cavern of Power where Prince Adam and Cringer transform into He-Man and Battle Cat. This character appeared in the first minicomics and went through many changes. First her colouring was changed from the original green to match Teela's colours, then she went from a Goddess to being the Sorceress and was ultimately redesigned to be the Filmation Sorceress we know and love. Her journey didn't end though and a few years ago she got her own figure in the MOTU Classics action figure range and in more recent comic continuity, became Teela's evolved form as the Snake Goddess.

The Goddess, in all her serpentine glory.

The miniature is the old '80s Grenadier Miniatures Teela figure. Designed after the toy and not the Filmation series, she doesn't look much like the Teela we know, but she does look exactly like the original Goddess. Unlike the other figures from the '80s miniatures range, the women were sculpted by a different sculptor and were more tall and slim, making her a perfect fit for more modern miniature scale. I did convert her slightly to add a bit of meat to her thighs and hips. After all, those were a trademark of the MOTU female characters too and this made her fit in better with the Quest Miniatures sculpts. I also gave her slightly longer feet as the original figures came with these small stumps that were hardly there. The base was custom made by cutting a hole in a plastic base to insert the thick metal integral base of the mini and then covered over with putty to add the flagstone texture.

Paintwise, I tried to stay true to the source material but "Filmation her up" slightly. Hence the (non metallic) gold accents, which also appeared in some later incarnations. the vertical black lines under her eyes were also part of some later source material and I thought it would be interesting to incorporate those.

The original minicomic scene where she gives the savage He-Man his first weapons

Gosh, Goddess, thanks you so much for these, the girls will love them!

You and I, Teela, we are one of a kind.

Your power will be mine!

While she looks taller in some pictures, she is the same size, it's just that she's the only figure who's standing up straight.

A different look, using the new lightbox

That's the last of the additions to the Heroic Warriors for now, as some more baddies are long overdue to balance out the sides.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2018, 01:18:00 PM »
This thread is not only full of retro goodness but educational too, as I had no knowledge of the story of the Goddess as I only had the toys and TV series as reference material as a nipper.
Thank you for filling in the details as otherwise I would have thought: '???  o_o  ???'
 8) 8)

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2018, 05:49:53 PM »
I didn't really know about her until I started doing research for this project. Her background story is so muddled I couldn't just put her up and expect people to know what she is. lol

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2018, 09:41:42 PM »
I didn't really know about her until I started doing research for this project. Her background story is so muddled I couldn't just put her up and expect people to know what she is. lol

lol
And there was me thinking that you had a seriously 'dangerous' knowledge of all things MotU.
I was beginning to worry about you.....
 :D  ;)

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2018, 07:28:57 AM »
Fantastic stuff.  I can't wait to see the first battle report with all of this. 

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
Re: Masters of the Universe (update 3/04)
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2018, 09:15:33 AM »
Thanks guys! ;) Here's the last one from this painting round

The Snake Men - Remcor, Snake Man Footsoldier

The next one is a bit of a departure from MOTU canon, as it's a generic Snake Man footsoldier that didn't appear in any of the media (though there have been generic Snake Men warriors in the later continuity), but being a mere footsoldier, he might have been there. The base model is a rather heavily converted Otherworld Miniatures lizardman, sculpted by the talented Paul Muller. The Otherworld lizardmen are very suitable as generic baddies for MOTU as is, but I wanted to go the extra mile to bring them more into the world. The head was flattened, cheeks were widened and a forked tong was added, while he was also dressed up to have the fur panties and belt, as well as shin and wrist guards. Base custom sculpted as usual.

A generic Snake Man footsoldier

His colour scheme and name were borrowed from a knock-off figure from the '80s. Back during the original MOTU craze, several companies started making cheapish action figures in the same style and one of these brands was Remco, which, among other things, made this purple Snakeman. I slightly changed parts in my conversion to bring it closer to how he could have looked in Filmation style. I painted the flagstones on his base in a different colour, as I want each faction to have it's own colour code.

A better view using the lightbox

The Remco snakeman in his glorious beauty.

He-Man facing off against a Snake Man in front of Snake Mountain

https://motu-wargames.blogspot.be/2018/04/the-snake-men-remcor-snake-man.html

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2018, 09:35:28 AM »
Brilliant!
Love your take on the Snakeman.
Spot on!
 :-* :-*

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2018, 10:53:22 AM »
Thanks, I’ve been anxious to paint him and had to restrain myself not to cut corners with the converting in order to get started sooner.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
Re: Masters of the Universe (update 1/05)
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2018, 11:34:01 AM »
I painted a whole other figure and still my total figure count didn't go up.  lol  Not being happy with my first paintjob of Teela, especially the face, I started a second version from scratch to replace her. The new one is still not quite where I would like her to be, the camera shows up some flaws I didn't notice on the model, but at least the face looks a lot more like the character from the cartoon and she looks fine at actual scale. Notable changes from my previous version is paler skin, a darker, more reddish shade for the hair, fine black lines around the eyes and a dark red lipstick.

Teela - Redux

A strong woman holding her own in a men's world...

A strong warrior, unspoken love interest of both He-Man and Prince Adam, adopted daughter of Man-At-Arms and real daughter/hairess of the Sorceress/Goddess, ... Teela has quite the elaborate back story. The model is another great sculpt by Boris Woloszyn for Quest Miniatures. Like the others, and my previous version of this character, I followed the Filmation colours for the painting and avoided all metallics. The flagstone was sculpted over a standard plastic lipped base as with the others.

Lightbox pictures, so there are no distractions in the background

Say, Teela, there's something different about you today. I don't know what it is, but I like it!

Just because I'm prettier now doesn't mean I can't do my share of fighting the baddies!

Finally, a comparison side by side of the first version and the new one. I think the new one is more recognisable as the Teela from the Filmation cartoon:

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2018, 04:33:17 PM »
The new version was definitely worth doing as the face is great!
 :-* :-*

Lets just hope He-Man likes the new 'airbrushed' version as much as the 'original'.....
 ;)

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2018, 09:20:01 AM »
The face is still not as nice as I would have wanted it to be, but it's miles better than the mannish one from before. I suppose the new version is what she looks like with her make-up done and the first version is reality when she gets out of the bed in the morning.  ;D

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2018, 09:25:27 AM »
The face is still not as nice as I would have wanted it to be, but it's miles better than the mannish one from before. I suppose the new version is what she looks like with her make-up done and the first version is reality when she gets out of the bed in the morning.  ;D

Well, given that, it sounds like He-Man is in for quite a shock.
 ;D

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2018, 10:17:01 AM »
So is she I guess if she goes to sleep with He-Man and wakes up next to Prince Adam in the morning. I suppose they deserve each other.  lol

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2018, 10:44:50 AM »
 lol lol

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2018, 11:56:10 AM »
This thread is looking fantastic. I love the inclusion of a knock-off character. Remcor absolutely sounds like someone who might turn up on Masters of the Universe, too.