Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 01:53:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Masters of the Universe - She-Ra added (update 01/08)  (Read 55887 times)

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
Re: Masters of the Universe (update 07/07)
« Reply #105 on: July 08, 2018, 09:19:13 AM »
Indeed, I’ve already started converting it and it works great.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
Re: Masters of the Universe (update 08/07)
« Reply #106 on: July 08, 2018, 11:07:45 AM »
Managed to squeeze in another quick one, thanks to a helpful limited palette.  :)

Evil Horde - Slime Pit He-Man

Slime Pit He-Man (sometimes also referred to as Slime Monster He-Man) featured in one of the mini-comics that came with the toys. Hordak managed to trap He-Man in the slime pit, and had a toxic green slime poured over him that turned him into a mindless killing machine. Hordak then proceeded to send He-Man after Skeletor to eliminate his erstwhile apprentice. The mind controlled He-Man almost succeeded in this task, but with the telepathic help of the Sorceress, He-Man was able to shake off the effects of the slime right before delivering the killing blow.

The model is a converted Quest Miniatures He-Man, with the weapons removed and some slime sculpted over in places to suggest a thicker coat of it clinging to his body. The flagstone base was painted with a reddish tone this time, as that is the colour I reserved for the Evil Horde faction, and it adds some colour other than green to the figure.

Slime Pit He-Man about to crush Skeletor once and for all...

A page from the mini-comic featuring the event:

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #107 on: July 08, 2018, 11:43:30 AM »
A brilliant inspired idea.
He certainly looks the part!
 :-*

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #108 on: July 08, 2018, 12:14:28 PM »
Thanks. I'll have to do me a Slime pit Beastman too, as he also featured in the comic.

Offline Alxbates

• Mad Scientist
    • Forge of Ice on Faceboook!
« Reply #109 on: July 08, 2018, 01:28:52 PM »
Thanks. I'll have to do me a Slime pit Beastman too, as he also featured in the comic.

Sweet - I look forward to seeing him!

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #110 on: July 08, 2018, 05:16:21 PM »
Very nice. I particularly like the way you made the colour scheme work, i.e. strong red adjacent to a saturated green.

Thanks. Too be honest, there are many difficult/hideous colour combinations in the setting. And those yellow/orange stripes on green fur aren't exactly in the best of taste either. ;D

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #111 on: July 08, 2018, 06:29:33 PM »
Thanks. Too be honest, there are many difficult/hideous colour combinations in the setting. And those yellow/orange stripes on green fur aren't exactly in the best of taste either. ;D

I think that the combination of orange-yellow stripes on green rather helps with mitigating the red-green clash. Less brutal than a purely-green area would have been.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 08:15:06 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
Re: Masters of the Universe (update 09/07)
« Reply #112 on: July 09, 2018, 07:54:01 PM »
Heroic Warriors - Gender-swapped He-Man

To the best of my knowledge, there has never been a gender-swapped He-Man in any of the MOTU canon. Still, there is no reason it could not have happened (temporarily) through the use of an ancient artefact or a magical spell. I'm sure there could have been an interesting moral in that story somewhere. So to make up my own fluff: while fighting over a mysterious artefact, Skeletor and He-Man inadvertently unleashed it's energies with unexpected results. Temporarily finding himself in female form, He-Man's ability to lead the good fight was in no way diminished.

She has the Power!

The model is Hasslefree Miniatures' Delphine, with some conversions. I added fur to her panties and boots and swapped the original sword for a spare powersword from a previous conversion, for a closer match to the male He-Man figure.

Male and female He-Man side by side:

They have the Power...?

A different take on the origin story perhaps, where Evil-Lyn enacts a spell of her own to turn He-Man into someone more... well... her own size:

* Sniff * * Sniff * - Yes, Battlecat, it's still me!

I'll be honest, He-Man, I'm not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand I still find you attractive, but on the other hand, your breasts are bigger than mine...

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
Re: Masters of the Universe (update 16/07)
« Reply #113 on: July 16, 2018, 07:25:49 PM »
Heroic Warriors - Man-At-Arms on Sky-Sled

One of the Heroic Warriors' preferred means of transportation is the Sky-Sled, the detachable front half of the Battleram vehicle. The Evil Warriors had their own version of course, but more on that some other time. Seen here is Man-At-Arms flying one of the flyers in stylish Filmation colours.

The model is a conversion of one of the old 1980's Grenadier Battleram models. I cut off the front half and added some detail that was missing from the back. For the rider, I removed the tab from a Quest Miniatures Man-At-Arms figure and the pose was practically a perfect fit. Some minor bending of the ankles to adjust it and a spare plastic hand from the same Fireforge soldier box previous bits were sourced from made it complete. The light was bad, so pictures aren't the best. And his eyes could have been better, but now that he's glued in place, I'm not touching him anymore.

Man-At-Arms, foot and flying. I tried to make the eyes a bit smaller on this second version, but that doesn't seem to have been an improvement.

Now, now, using that laser in your wrist to shoot from above is a bit unsporting, old chap.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #114 on: July 16, 2018, 07:55:57 PM »
Brilliant!
My favourite figure so far.
He just seems to fit in perfectly.
 :-* :-*

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #115 on: July 17, 2018, 09:16:30 AM »
The old Grenadier vehicles and cats are a good fit to the present day 30mm figures sizewise. There's a common misconception they were true 25mm, but those old MOTU figures were at least 30mm scale, which was huge for the day.

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
« Reply #116 on: July 17, 2018, 01:54:09 PM »
I'm loving everything about this... what rules are you thinking you will use to battle? Or are you just collecting and painting for fun?
Owner, Temple of the West
www.TempleWest.co

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
Re: Masters of the Universe (update 17/07)
« Reply #117 on: July 17, 2018, 05:19:12 PM »
Haven't made final decision on a ruleset yet. There is a MOTU group on facebook that has a set of custom rules that look interesting. Also considering adapting Hero Quest for them. Otherwise, was thinking of looking at 7TV or  Rogue Stars too.

Managed to finish another one, fun to paint too!

Anti-Eternians - Anti-Battlecat

Now that He-Man received his trusty companion, we couldn't very well let Anti-He-Man be at a disadvantage when facing them. Like when Prince Adam calls on the power of Grayskull, Anti-He-Man draws from the power of Castle Hellskull to infuse himself and his pet with great power. Anti-Battlecat is every bit as strong as the regular Battlecat, but twice as vicious!

Anti He-Man and his Anti-Battlecat

The model is of course another Grenadier Miniatures Battlecat, with a blank lipped base from Fenris Games, to which I added the flagstone texture. I went back and forth a long time on the colours on this one. Most action figure customs for this creature use black armour and black body, with red stripes. I wanted a bit more contrast than that. Initially I planned to do red armour and light grey stripes, but the light grey on black didn't seem to offer enough contrast, so instead I went with red stipes and grey armour, but since I didn't want the light grey to dominate the model, I just used the shading colour and then washed it a couple times with thinned black, for a darker grey, leatherlike finish. Finally, I decided to paint the teeth red and the tongue grey, in keeping with the reversed colour palette these have going.

Battlecats face off:

A side by side comparison of the two variant colour schemes:

Man-At-Arms is clever enough to keep a safe distance while battling these foes:

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #118 on: July 17, 2018, 05:22:33 PM »
Another great addition to the collection.
I think Battlecat looks pretty damn mean in his new snazzy outfit.
 :-* :-*

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #119 on: July 17, 2018, 06:36:30 PM »
Haven't made final decision on a ruleset yet. There is a MOTU group on facebook that has a set of custom rules that look interesting. Also considering adapting Hero Quest for them. Otherwise, was thinking of looking at 7TV or  Rogue Stars too.
Rogue Planet was a rule set that was written, IIRC, for MoTU style heroics. I'm fairly certain the author specifically said that at some point. It is a very cinematic style rule set. Haven't had occasion to play it yet myself, but it might be worth checking into.

Love this project. I've been working on sculpts for the MoTU characters recently myself.

Have you watched the Netflix series "The Toys That Made Us"? They are pretty entertaining, especially the He Man and Transformers ones.