Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:59:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686465
  • Total Topics: 118101
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Masters of the Universe - She-Ra added (update 01/08)  (Read 55286 times)

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
Re: Masters of the Universe - Blackstar's nemesis, Overlord (update 26/06)
« Reply #210 on: June 26, 2020, 02:44:02 PM »
Finished another figure for my 30mm expanded MotU collection, Blackstar's nemesis, the purpleskinned sorcerer and tyrant, Overlord:

https://motu-wargames.blogspot.com/2020/06/overlord-forces-overlord.html

De facto ruler of the planet Sagar, descended of a long line of despots, Overlord is the main nemesis for our hero Blackstar. More akin to Hordak than Skeletor, he is fairly successful in his endeavours and more competent in keeping his underlings in check, resulting in his uncontested dominion of the planet. Uncontested, until John Blackstar entered the scene at least. Wielder of the Powersword, his goal is to take it's second half, the Starsword, from Blackstar to assemble it into the Powerstar and cement his position. While he came very close to achieving that goal, the final victory keeps eluding his grasp and Blackstar and his allies have started whittling away at his forces.

Overlord, the master of his domain.
The miniature is another privately commissioned limited release, with a custom base to match my other bases. I chose dark blue to be the colour for this faction, mainly as I was running out of good options.

Battling his bane, the former Earth astronaut John Blackstar:

Finding likeminded new allies:

Maybe we can help eachother, nyaaah!

Fun fact, both Skeletor and Overlord were voiced by Alan Oppenheimer in their respective Filmation cartoons.

You shouldn't have ventured here alone, He-Man. Meet my new ally.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
Re: Masters of the Universe - Faker on Copy-Cat (update 27/06)
« Reply #211 on: June 27, 2020, 04:31:54 PM »
Evil Warriors - Faker on Copy-Cat

Now that I've done Faker and Copy-Cat, I naturally had to do a Faker on Copy-Cat, to match my He-Man on Battlecat conversion. To convert Faker into a riding position, I only cut off the left leg at the parting line with his loincloth, pinned it back in place in a more fitting position and filled the gap with putty. The Grenadier Battlecats are good for that sort of thing, due to the way the saddle is done. Another Fenris Games blank base, with added texture finishes the look.

Now I have a matching Faker mounted and on foot.

And with the matching He-Man:

A badly lighted final shot just to prove I did indeed paint a second Copy-Cat and it's not just the one from before.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: Masters of the Universe - Faker on Copy-Cat (update 27/06)
« Reply #212 on: June 28, 2020, 12:10:43 PM »
Brilliant!
Always good to see a 'foot and mounted' pair.
 :-* :-*

Lovely brushwork (and a nice sculpt too) on the purple fella.
I know nowt about Blackstar and his mates but I can appreciate a nicely turned out miniature.
 8) :) 8)

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
Re: Masters of the Universe - Faker with axe and shield (update 28/06)
« Reply #213 on: June 28, 2020, 03:21:07 PM »
Thanks! More foot and mounted pairs to follow for this project.

Evil Warriors - Faker with Battle Axe and Shield

As I have done several variants of He-Man with different equipment and plan to do a few more, I could not let Faker get behind, especially as there are so many juicy variants of him in MotU lore. This also gave me the chance to do Faker's alternate toy inspired colour scheme, with the darker hair and orange chest harness and weapons.

The evil android, Faker, with his new toys

I decided to convert one using a spare axe, shield and sword sheath from a Quest Miniatures He-Man, to match the similar conversion I did earlier for He-Man. The Quest sword sheath was completed with a sword grip and hilt from a plastic Fireforge miniatures kit. Base is my usual sculpted texture over blank lipped bases. I'm struggling a lot with faces lately and this one was no different. In the end I had to settle for, that'll be good enough.

A side by side look here of my two versions of Faker. Note the difference in hair tone, as per the respective references. I still prefer the "pink" version, so will continue with that colour scheme going forward.

And another side by side with the matching He-Man figure. I consider this version of He-Man to be the earlier, mini-comic He-Man, which was later retconned to be Oo-Lar, an earlier incarnation of the strongest man of the universe, and my He-Man with powersword is the Prince Adam version.

I have crafted this new armour and weapons for you. Now go defeat He-Man already!

It's still me, kitty. I just got some new toys and armour from the boss.

You will not win this time, He-Man!

And a somewhat dark family shot with all the Faker and Copy-Cat variants so far:

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
Re: Masters of the Universe - Eternos Palace Guards (update 29/06)
« Reply #214 on: June 29, 2020, 02:27:58 PM »
Heroic Warriors - Eternos Palace Guards with Tridents

The capital of Eternia, the city of Eternos, is also the location of the Royal Palace, seat of the planetary government led by King Randor. The city has its own standing army in the form of the Eternos Guards. Sporting green skinsuits and orange armour, they are hardly inconspicuous, but then neither are the villains. Perhaps somewhat unusual, their formal weapon when performing their guard duties is the trident.

Eternos Guards

They may be no match for Skeletor's Evil Warriors, but they can certainly hold their own against his minions.

The Eternos Guard is lead by Teela, who holds the rank of Captain...

... though her father Man-At-Arms also seems to hold some formal position within the guard, as his outfit can testify.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Masters of the Universe - Blackstar's nemesis, Overlord (update 26/06)
« Reply #215 on: June 29, 2020, 04:05:59 PM »
The miniature is another privately commissioned limited release

You have a very understanding other half   ;) :D

I like the new additions as well.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 02:16:57 PM by AKULA »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #216 on: June 29, 2020, 05:42:23 PM »
Loving the new Faker!
I have always thought He-Man (and therefore Faker) looked better with the axe and shield combination.
 8) 8)

Those Palace Guards look great, especially alongside their (real) boss.
Green and orange is a very powerful combination which certainly brings out the best in them

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #217 on: June 29, 2020, 06:02:22 PM »
I really struggle with painting orange and that shade of green, so while I was painting them, I felt they were going to be shit, but now I’m pretty pleased with them.  ;D

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #218 on: July 02, 2020, 01:48:09 PM »
You should be pleased, they all look great. :-* And the colours are definately evocative of the cartoon!

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #219 on: July 02, 2020, 03:51:29 PM »
Thanks! Less pleased with the next one.

Snake Men - Snake Man-At-Arms

Another one based on the 200x storyline and MotU Classics canon where Man-At-Arms got turned into a Snake Man. The model is converted from a Quest Miniatures Man-At-Arms and the face was resculpted to be more snakelike. I was none too happy with the conversion and it sat part finished on my desk for months before I forced myself to finish it alongside the similarly coloured Eternos guards. It's far from my best paint job, but it'll do as I needed to be done with it.

Snake Man-At-Arms

Snake Man-At-Arms and Snake Teela turn on the Eternos Guards:

The Snake Men faction so far. I need to get them some reinforcements:

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
Re: Masters of the Universe - Sy-Klone added (update 12/07)
« Reply #220 on: July 12, 2020, 06:07:28 PM »
Heroic Warriors - Sy-Klone

A member of the Heroic Warriors, Sy-Klone was originally a blue-skinned cyborg with the ability to spin at super-speed and generate a whirlwind. He is also able to spin different parts of his body individually. A former acrobat, he was turned into a cyborg through Skeletor's doing. Later canon rewrote his background to be the guardian of Angkor Wat, and possibly a member of the dwindling Gar race, like the halfblood Keldor and the witch Shokoti.

The figure is another marvellous sculpt from the talented hands of Boris Woloszyn, before he turned to other things. Though I dreaded starting on the seemingly complex figure, it was a joy to paint and went like a breeze.

One of the characteristic elements of the toy was the light reflecting radar screen in the middle of his chest. I've seen some brave souls attempting to free hand this, with good results too, but I decided life was too short and the lead & resin pile too high to go that way. So I reduced an image of the radar to the appropriate size, printed it out in colour, varnished it, glued it on and painted the edges, followed by another cote of glossier varnish and the result looks good to me. Extreme close-up and file with the resized radar  available on my blog (https://motu-wargames.blogspot.com/2020/07/heroic-warriors-sy-klone.html).

Sy-Klone and He-Man, defending the gates of Grayskull, side by side.

Sy-Klone leading a pair of Eternos guards into battle

I've painted quite a good number of these and yet, my Heroic Warrior factions isn't very big. I blame the fact I tend to paint a lot of variants of the same character, which I haven't included in the group picture below:

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #221 on: July 12, 2020, 06:19:46 PM »
You have worked wonders on him, that yellow is lovely.

Inspired idea with the radar too.
 8) 8)

Oh, and please stop posting pictures of those Eternos Guards, they are VERY tempting.
 >:D ;)

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #222 on: July 12, 2020, 06:27:26 PM »
The yellow is the Foundry lemon triad, my first try with them and I'm sold.  :)

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
Fasted 30mm scale paintjob I ever did. The heroes of Sagar get a little extra help in the shape of this enchanted ice sculpture of Blackstar:
https://motu-wargames.blogspot.com/2020/07/heroes-of-sagar-enchanted-blackstar-ice.html

In the Filmation episode "Lightning City of the Clouds" Mara enchanted an ice sculpture of Blackstar and Warlorck that was made by one of the Throbbits to take the fight to Overlord, while Blackstar himself was engaged elsewhere. While he was ultimately destroyed, the enchanted ice sculpture bought our heroes some much needed time to secure victory and bring back spring.

This was a quick one to paint. Including the base it probably took about 10 minutes from start to finish, being essentially a thin wash over the white primer. Really effective for the look I was going for though.

The original inspiration:

At last, we meet again, Blackstar. I see you are pale from fright!

Flesh and blood Blackstar next to ice sculpture Blackstar

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
Re: Masters of the Universe - Orko added (update 20/07)
« Reply #224 on: July 20, 2020, 03:57:20 PM »
Orko is He-Man and Prince Adam's diminutive sidekick-cum-wizard. A powerful wizard on his home planet Trolla, his spells don't seem to work right on Eternia and go wrong more often than not. As such, Orko's tragedy is that he is often seen as incompetent and the court's jester rather than its wizard.

The model was sculpted by Didier Fancagne. I only changed the eyes to make them more cartoon-accurate, which is merely a matter of personal preference. The base is a resin blank from Fenris Games, with my usual stone texture added and a clear flying stand from EM-4.

The main trio as they are often portrayed in the cartoon

The main heroic warriors from the Filmation cartoon, still missing the Sorceress

Skeletor and Evil-Lynn's magic pitched against Orko's. That'll end well...