Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:02:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686467
  • Total Topics: 118101
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Kongo... or may I say Congo ?  (Read 2931 times)

Offline jacques

• Bookworm
Kongo... or may I say Congo ?
« on: February 22, 2018, 02:01:12 PM »
This evening, a new and exciting set of rules : Congo !  (Sorry for my bad english writing....)

The jungle rustled with a thousand noises.
The multicolored birds flew away, squealing in the clear sky of that beautiful morning.
A sound of broken branches: a brown lightning all claws out... the
hunting of the King of the forest. The scrub closes behind the lion's passage.

In the distance, a barrage is heard, the elephants will drink to the Congo River flowing nearby.
"Présentez Aaaaarmes !" A dry snap, the sound of a bugle, a military music - "Le lever du drapeau" - breaks out in the quietness of the early morning.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TGSCQsk6HnU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Traveling forward ... A camp! An almost military camp! A flag flapping in the wind!

A few tents, a campfire, crates and above all soldiers standing at attention who stand still, eyes fixed on the three colors: blue, white, red, which rise slowly on the mat overlooking the lush surrounding vegetation.
A few natives, wide-eyed, respectfully watch the officer of the French colonial troops presiding over the ceremony.
"Rompez !"

We are in 1881, in full territory of the Belgian Congo, not far from the river of the same name. The column Tristan Saint Juste - named after the explorer commissioned by the famous Société Géographique Française - has just woken up. Tristan Saint Juste is no longer in place, he is constantly nagging at the porters, the officer, and the few French soldiers who are packing up. He is in a hurry ... and for good reason!
After a long expedition, more than 120 days of walks in green hell, he discovered the ruins of an ancient city, not far from Lake Tanganyika.
And above all, hidden in a grave, a gold cap, set with precious stones! A real treasure ... archaeological, of course (!). A treasure to be brought back to France and sheltered in a museum.But our famous explorer is not quiet. In this jungle, almost unexplored, rumors are going well. In addition to the tribes that seemed to protect these ruins, Zanzibar bandits are on their tracks.

Suddenly, a cry is heard: "Bwana, they are here!" From all sides, pathogly armed silhouettes slip into the thickets not far from the tents. The camp seems to be encircled ... "We must flee!" Tristan seizes the gold cap, stuffs it into his knapsack, and gives orders quickly: "Soldiers, with me, the auxiliaries and the natives, this way... gentlemen, follow me." Grabbing their weapons, all the men dash in the directions indicated by Saint Just.
It was time, from the south, groups of indigenous tribes rushed to the camp.

A lively exchange of gunfire and muskets disturbs the equanimity of this wild land, sometimes punctuated by rales and warlike howls. Tristan, surrounded by soldiers rushes north while part of his troops bravely face the grimacing masks of the warrior tribes who rush over them.

Unfortunately, it is too late and the men of the expedition are too few to hope to pass. But no matter, they will sell their lives dearly. While the black warriors looted the tents before setting them on fire, treacherous Zanzibarians, helped by Ruga-Rugas, slaughtered Tristan's soldiers one by one. He will be the last to fall, his hands clasped on this fabulous gold cap, as if he wanted to keep it forever.

Other explorers, less foolhardy but luckier, will certainly find this relic of the past in the markets of Zanzibar, but they will have to pay ... at a golden price!

This was an excellent evening, very good set of rules, very funny and very easy to play...  Thanks to all players !

Jacques

« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 04:03:56 PM by jacques »

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
Re: Kongo... or may I say Congo ?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 02:31:04 PM »
Très bien, Jaques! Excellent table and miniatures plus a great report. Merci!

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 03:10:28 PM »
Oh dear! I fully expected Tristan at least would escape to explore another day  :o But the natives got the drop on the party good an proper...maybe it was a poor location for the campsite. Nice looking game, thanks for sharing.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline jacques

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 03:25:35 PM »
Thanks Michi !

Congo, the rules have a nice (I was playing against the White column) trick : if, when you shoot -and score an hit- you make a 10 on a d10... the leader is shot down (Bad luck isn't it ? -  YESSSS ! My mate - an...my... ennemy -   make a full 10 !! ) .

But be  warning, my Emir (my boss) doesn't survive to this adventure, and my Ruga-rugas (second hands)  stole me and fled with the gold cap !!!

Bad life !   But  GREAT EVENING !!!

Jacques
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 04:46:19 PM by jacques »

Offline Captain Reid

• Bookworm
    • Cerro Manteca, 1811
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 07:11:35 PM »
Great report with very nice pictures.

Thanks for posting it.
The Saindoux Campaign of 1757, my French and Indian War blog
Cerro Manteca, 1811, my Peninsular War blog
my Congo blog

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 02:11:30 AM »
There's even a kitty kat!  :o

lol

Offline General M@yhem

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 08:14:38 PM »
Great report. Just played this scenario, yesterday.
Those stat cards for the expeditions are fantastic. Did you make them yourself? What did you do them on? :)

Offline jacques

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 05:51:12 AM »
Hello General,

First thank fot your kind words.
For the stats cards, I made a set, simply one with only a figure, but one of us made a another set with more than one guys on it...

I can give you my google drive (by pm) if you want mine but the other set is not mine ! These are pdf, so you can change the wording (french).

Exemple of mine :

Jacques, happy Emir of zanzibar

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 12:08:29 PM »
There's a full set of stat cards downloadable as PDFs here:
http://www.studio-tomahawk.com/dl/congo_cards_en.pdf

Offline General M@yhem

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 07:07:53 PM »
Hello General,

First thank fot your kind words.
For the stats cards, I made a set, simply one with only a figure, but one of us made a another set with more than one guys on it...

I can give you my google drive (by pm) if you want mine but the other set is not mine ! These are pdf, so you can change the wording (french).

Exemple of mine :

Thanks very much. Yes please to the cards!  :D

Jacques, happy Emir of zanzibar

Offline General M@yhem

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 07:08:26 PM »
There's a full set of stat cards downloadable as PDFs here:
http://www.studio-tomahawk.com/dl/congo_cards_en.pdf

Thanks for this. :)

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 11:13:24 PM »
Game looks like a blast but I mainly just want to say how nice that table is! :)
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline jacques

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 04:32:04 AM »
Thank nic-e.  8) 8)

Effectivly, this game is a must.
   Few minis,
   Short time to play (we made 2 (or 3) games in an evening !).
   Easy (but not simple !) rules.
   ... and very funy to play.

Jacques

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2018, 11:14:18 AM »
Yes, it's a terrific set of rules.
Lots of interesting decisions for the players.
Very atmospheric.
Doesn't require much space or time - games take  a couple of hours.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2018, 02:23:28 AM »
I've just looked again - and more awake this time!  What is the source of the base terrain, please?  Is it some sort of modular boards for creating terrain from the hobby or something adapted?  I mean all those pre-printed palm trees and the like.

Thanks in advance.