Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:11:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690827
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Conquest of America & Cities of Gold - Larger than Life - Update 4/2  (Read 6971 times)

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
This blog is another continuation of my recent dabblings in the larger 1/30 (60-65mm) scale figures, this time centered around the fantastic models produced by John Jenkins Designs depicting the colourful Aztec warriors who were around during the conquest of America. The goal is to build a small collection of Aztec and Conquistador figures and scenery items to play skirmish adventures in this rich setting. The JJD figures will be complemented with some homepainted additions from compatible other ranges. To celebrate the occasion, I started another blog: https://americancitiesofgold.blogspot.be.

To help kick off this project, I was lucky enough to acquire this small 1/30 Aztec Temple model that was custom built by Jose Torres (forum member "chemiebay"). The following pictures show it with some John Jenkins Designs Aztec warriors for size:

And some unobscured pictures of just the temple.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 11:37:19 AM by white knight »

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Conquest of America & Cities of Gold - Larger than Life
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 08:17:13 PM »
There is another manufacturer who do 60mm (1/30 scale) Conquistadors and Aztecs -  Morgan Miniatures, which available from Michigan Toy Soldiers.   The below link takes you to the line (there are 7 pages - many figures have multiple variants; there are Conquistador cavalry, Aztec sacrifices, etc.

https://www.michtoy.com/michtoy_search_product.php?Vendor_ID=Morgan%20Miniatures%20-%20A%20MichToy%20Exclusive&Types=Toy%20Soldiers%20and%20Miniatures&Period=Aztecs,%20Incas,%20Mayans%20and%20Conquistadors&action=listing&typeofSEARCH=fulltextOTHERS

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 09:16:02 PM »
I actually ordered a bunc of unpainted castings directly from Morgan Miniatures (in the UK), so expect them to make an appearance when I've gotten around to painting them. The human sacrifice set is very frothworthy.

Offline cdm

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 11:19:51 AM »
Nice brushwork, WK. Lovely vibrant detailing and colours.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 11:51:41 AM »
I can't take any credit. The Temple was painted by the person who built it and the Aztec figures come prepainted to a high standard, which is one of the reasons I found it hard to resist the lure. I will try to match the painting style on some other figures soon though.

Offline cdm

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 12:37:36 PM »
No worries, I wasn't aware of them being pre paints.

I'd be interested to see how you go about doing the black body paint then on your figs :)

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 03:56:52 PM »
I should have known you would be aware of  Morgan Miniatures ! (It is a British company).  Looking forward to seeing their arrival on your table.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
It's taken a long time to update this thread (and the blog), but I've taken some pictures of the collection so far and will be editing and uploading them over the course of the next week.

The first one to start with is the Aztec Eagle Warrior.

The Eagle warriors, or Eagle knights as they were also known, were a special class of professional soldiers in the Aztec army, one of the two leading military special forces orders in Aztec society. They were a type of Aztec warrior called a cuāuhocēlōtl. Along with the Jaguar Warriors, they were made up of the bravest soldiers of noble birth and those who had taken the greatest number of prisoners in battle (to be sacrificed to their gods). Of all of the Aztec warriors, they were the most feared. Eagle warriors, along with the jaguar warriors, were the only such classes which did not restrict access solely to the nobility, as commoners were occasionally admitted for special merit. The eagles were soldiers of the Sun, for the eagle was the symbol of the Sun. Eagle warriors dressed like eagles, adorning themselves with eagle feathers, and wearing headgear with an eagle head on it.

The model is a lovely prepainted figure in 60mm by John Jenkins Designs. These sold out almost immediately upon release, which is no surprise given the amount of detail in the sculpts and the sharp paintjobs. I will supplement these with some other models that I will be painting myself to match.

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
Glad to see you back posting !  Looking forward to seeing your collection.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
Thanks. Here's the next one. The sooner I get these storebought ones out of the way, the more I will be motivated to start painting on the bare metal ones I have.  lol

Coyote Warrior Priest

In addition to the normal Aztec priests, the Aztec empire also counted priests who were also warriors. These warrior priests had a similar ranking system to the traditional ranks, where you could climb the ranks by taking more captives for sacrifice. The Coyote warrior priest is one who has taken 6 or more captives in combat.

The model is once again an excellent prepainted 60mm figure by John Jenkins Designs.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Conquest of America & Cities of Gold - Larger than Life - Update 21/7
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2018, 08:02:57 PM »
Very colourful figures, it should become a lovely collection. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
Re: Conquest of America & Cities of Gold - Larger than Life - Update 22/7
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2018, 09:38:36 AM »
Jaguar Warriors

The Jaguar warriors or Jaguar knights, were members of the Aztec military elite. They were a type of Aztec warrior called a cuāuhocēlōtl, like the Eagle Warriors. The jaguar motif was used due to the belief the jaguar represented Tezcatlipoca. Aztecs also wore this dress at war because they believed the animal's strengths would be given to them during battles. Jaguar warriors were used at the battlefront in military campaigns. They were also used to capture prisoners for sacrifice to the Aztec gods. They fought with a wooden sword studded with obsidian volcanic glass blades, called a macuahuitl. They also used spears and atlatls. To become a jaguar warrior, a member of the Aztec army had to capture twelve enemies during two consecutive battles. This was said to honor their gods in a way far greater than killing enemy soldiers in the battlefield. For a warrior to kill an enemy was considered clumsy.

Both models are gorgeous prepainted 60mm models from John Jenkins Designs, with one wearing a Jaguar suit based on an actual Jaguar's skin and one wearing a more expensive "artificial" blue suit.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
Re: Conquest of America & Cities of Gold - Larger than Life - Update 23/7
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 06:55:55 PM »
While not as ornately dressed as the elite Jaguar and Eagle warriors and the various warrior priests, the common Aztec warriors were still a colourful sight to behold. All 4 models are prepainted 60mm John Jenkins Designs figures, with two different sculpt, each available in 2 different colours.

Red warrior:

Blue warrior:

White warrior:

Green warrior:

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: Conquest of America & Cities of Gold - Larger than Life - Update 23/7
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 07:57:14 PM »
These are the dogs danglies mate :-* :-* 8)

Those miniatures too are stunning I Like the Huaxtec warriors (Hawkskratch) . On rules perhaps something like Tribal would work well
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 08:01:06 PM by Lowtardog »

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
Re: Conquest of America & Cities of Gold - Larger than Life - Update 29/7
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2018, 11:55:09 AM »
Another Warrior Priest from the 60mm John Jenkins Design range.  This one wears a war suit known as the Cicitlallo Cuextecatl, which roughly translates as “Starry Night”. It indicates he is a warrior priest who had taken four captives, and thus a mighty warrior. Another superb figure with great painting from JJD.