Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:03:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Saracen and Saladin in 1/48 scale...  (Read 3672 times)

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
Saracen and Saladin in 1/48 scale...
« on: February 23, 2018, 11:33:06 AM »
I'm thinking of maybe two Saracens and a Saladin to give 'em a bit of punch. Does anyone make suitable decals for British vehicles in this scale please?

???
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Saracen and Saladin in 1/48 scale...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 11:42:15 AM »
This Crescent Toys Saladin is purported to be 1/48th scale based on one auction which I found. There looks to be a few going on Ebay right now. Obviously check the size yourself (someone probably has the exact measurements somewhere).

Obviously it'll need some gap filing and a new barrel for gaming purposes if it is suitable. :)

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 07:47:49 PM »
Already got one of them and a Scorpion...

:)

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 02:06:18 AM »
Ah hell, you said decals, not the actual models!

Hmn, see the period may be the main issue. The obvious option would be going on Ebay, or a manufacturer's website and finding something similar from the period to take the transfers from. However British Cold War stuff isn't really all that popular in that scale (off the top of my head there was only really that old Aurora Centurion). 1/56th scale WWII decals may work, though they'd likely either be too small, or more likely not be accurate. However if they were workable sourcing one from someone who collects Bolt Action shouldn't be an issue.

CompanyB have a load transfers, again 1/56th scale however, but I believe they may do custom ones as well. However, if you're going the route of sourcing custom ones it would probably be far easier just to go to a high street shop which does transfers and give them what you need.

Great Escape Games also have a load of transfers, once more for WWII, and yup 1/56th scale. :/

So my money would either be on looking through those easily attainable 1/56th scale WWII ones in the hopes of finding something suitable, or doing a Google image search for the specific decals you want, putting them on a sheet in the right size, then going to a local shop that does transfers and having them make some for a few pounds (its usually those places that do T-shirts who do them. Though they'll usually have a minimum number of copies you can buy - not to say things haven't changed since I bought some a decade ago,).

« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 02:08:45 AM by Wyrmalla »

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 02:09:08 PM »
Post-WWII Markings didn't change very much from WWII.

You might find this site useful for cherry-picking markings from WWII sheets:
http://www.emlra.org/index.php/articles/painting-and-marking-post-war-british-vehicles-p-1-4

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 09:12:57 AM »
Thanks chaps.

:)

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 03:41:39 PM »
I think you'll find everything you need here....
http://www.hlbs.co.uk/type.php?id=29

Saracen, Fox, Saladin, Scorpion etc all in 1/48th
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 10:57:57 AM »
No offense intended, but is that site still active? Ten year old copyright dates do not promote confidence.

I know that Empress supply a subset of the range.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 12:23:56 PM »
Empress have hinted at more 1/48 'Cold War' vehicles to be added soon, so they may have acquired them, or become suppliers of them.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1586261984804251&id=581342921962834

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 01:04:27 PM »
@Arlequin, thanks.

I did find some 2017 dated stuff on the HLBS.

I do hope Empress remaster some of them, two wheels on the Spartan track units have fallen off and they make the Sloppy Jalopy ones look Warlordy. Empress's resin is great to work with, the HLBS ones less so.

A Ferret would be great, the 1/56 one I bought last year is rubbish. Saracens are perfect for Cyberpunk etc.

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 01:14:01 PM »
No offense intended, but is that site still active? Ten year old copyright dates do not promote confidence.

I know that Empress supply a subset of the range.

HLBS was active August 10th 2017, if you look at their front page http://www.hlbs.co.uk/index.php

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 01:13:54 AM »
It might be the way they are painted but the HLBSC Saladin and Saracen look a bit 'off to me'. The angles on the Saladin in particular look a bit NQR which is odd cos most of their other stuff is quite decent and there's no shortage of Saladins and photos therof to base a model on.

I decided to stick with my Corgi Saladins, which with the addition of some smoke dischargers from FoA, plastic card, new barrels cut from brass tubing and some spare .30 cals look the business to me. They also scale out at circa 1/56. The Sloppy Jalopy Ferrets, whilst by no means perfect are pretty decent gaming models. I've been meaning to purchase a Saracen from Britannia for some years now.

Decals? I had a custom set made up for both Aden based and Borneo/Singapore based Ferrets by Company B. Formation signs for the Aden garrison, Gurkha Brigade, with 'O' registration numbers and arm of service markings.  Nicely done, professional service and quick turn around. Cost was pretty low. I'd recommend Company B for this sort of thing and they can do it in any scale you wish.

For Squadron markings I've simply used stuff from WG and Rubicon kit decals.

By the by  I think you'll find those Crescent Root Scorpions are way bigger than 1/48.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 10:25:41 AM »
HLBS are still active. I bought something from him late last year and it shipped through fine.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2018, 06:18:28 PM »
Empress have hinted at more 1/48 'Cold War' vehicles to be added soon, so they may have acquired them, or become suppliers of them.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1586261984804251&id=581342921962834
More HLBS 1/48 British at the bottom of the vehicles page:
http://www.empressminiatures.com/userimages/procart36.htm

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2018, 06:38:01 PM »
Including HLBS' stowage as well. Weird, have they bought that guy out entirely? He still operates his own website, so I'm confused. I guess he wasn't receiving enough traffic, and this way its better than nothing.

I suppose if you just want the vehicles, rather than any of Empress' other offerings, if it is the case Empress is taking a cut then maybe buy from HLBS directly. He was pretty good in the turnaround for shipping to me (and he's still doing all the casting for Empress from what I've experienced).

Still, what has Empress released lately for their moderns range? I honestly can't remember.