Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:35:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Lake town house-boaty mcboatface.  (Read 7658 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: Lake town house-tree's company.
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2018, 02:21:54 PM »
I really like these. And they are cleverly designed, what with two-sided profiles to all walls. The things which have prevented me from taking the leap and buy the is that they are a bit wee for general purpose.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2018, 07:40:00 PM »
cheers for the kind words. I hope to have the other trees done soon.

I really like these. And they are cleverly designed, what with two-sided profiles to all walls. The things which have prevented me from taking the leap and buy the is that they are a bit wee for general purpose.

They certainly are dinky , in that adorable and satisfying kind of way. I'd say if you play with big figures on big built up bases, it'll look odd, but if you play with smaller figures (frostgrave, perry, foundry,warlord ect ect) then these are just perfect, realistically small medieval dwellings.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Online Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2018, 11:54:42 PM »
The house has turned out really well. I really must get some of these (before they take them out of production!) They are very versatile for all sorts of settings methinks...

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2018, 01:02:54 AM »
That Laketown house is a corker, I had no idea that was such a well-made kit.  Much more impressive than the few terrain bits I recall from early LotR releases.  The tree's nice too, but I'm inclined to agree with you, the base model has some issues with looking a bit off.  IMO they look a little better when you leave the foliage off, but that doesn't help if you're looking for trees that aren't dead or in the dead of winter.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2018, 11:38:55 AM »
The house has turned out really well. I really must get some of these (before they take them out of production!) They are very versatile for all sorts of settings methinks...

The riverlands for example? :)

That Laketown house is a corker, I had no idea that was such a well-made kit.  Much more impressive than the few terrain bits I recall from early LotR releases.  The tree's nice too, but I'm inclined to agree with you, the base model has some issues with looking a bit off.  IMO they look a little better when you leave the foliage off, but that doesn't help if you're looking for trees that aren't dead or in the dead of winter.
The house is great. The front and back are both made of two double sides panels, so you have quite a bit of mixing and matching to choose from.
Aye, I've seen these trees with lots of foliage at warhammer world and they look the part then. I'm going to see what I've got left after I've built all three and then maybe add in some extra leaves.

Online Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2018, 12:56:16 PM »
The riverlands for example? :)

You're way ahead of me!  lol

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
Re: Lake town house-you call that a boat? THIS IS A BOAT.
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2018, 08:43:31 PM »
A delivery this morning has given me something to play with while I'm resigned to crutches!

A boat from freebooters fate, waiting to be painted up and made into a freeguild river boat/realm explorers craft.

I'm going to use the rules for naval battles from the old warhammer fantasy generals compednium to have some river boarding action!

The kit itself is lovely.I was a little hesitant at first because I couldn't actually find a review of the model, But I'm glad i took the punt. The casting was perfect, no mould lines and it seems to have already been cleaned up and  sanded my the company.
the only thing i can say bad about it is that the actual floor is VERY thin, to the point of being near transparant.Not a huge problem as its hardly going to be the focal point of the miniature. I have put a couple of pictues showing it next to minis with 32mm bases and the little boat from the laketown house kit. I'm not thinking I may change my mind about 32mm bases and switch back to 25mm rounds so i can fit more men in the boat.

I'm itching to get this painted , and then maybe once I've got the other two trees done I'll get a couple more boats.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2018, 10:11:01 PM »
That's a nice kit there.  Freebooter's Fate, you say?  Off to check the website.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2018, 10:16:36 PM »
That's a nice kit there.  Freebooter's Fate, you say?  Off to check the website.

Aye, But i ordered it from goblin games. pretty nippy service considering it wasn't in stock and had to come from germany! :)

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
Re: Lake town house-boaty mcboatface.
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2018, 11:39:50 PM »
Sat down and got the boat done today. Went with a darker wood than the house, to keep everything from just being all brown all the time.
A very quick paintjob but a really fun one that i think gives a nice final look.
I went for an aged look.peeling paint, worn away name, water stained hull and damp boards.

I look forward to playing some Age of sigmar boarding games .
now...do i need a ship....?

ill tides and foul winds await for those that dare to brave the uncharted waters and endless rivers of the realms.

the Pequod is a small vessel, one of many boats and ships built by the azyrite explorers as they spread across the realms seeking to set up new frontiers.
she's seen better (and worse) days, her proud hull dented and stained and her name all but illegible across the peeling paint and age stained wood.

Still, she serves her captain well, making smugglers runs between settlements, taking those who seek to travel unhindered into the wilds ,and sometimes, just sometimes, performing honest work on the river markets and floating harbour cities of the realms.

Online Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2018, 07:29:20 AM »
That works really well.  :-*

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2018, 03:40:38 PM »
That works really well.  :-*

Cheers captain, Fine praise coming from yourself! :)

Offline Featherstone

• Assistant
  • *rolls 3D6* Let's just see how this goes...
    • Hollywood Games Co.
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2018, 04:47:36 PM »
If I could I’d lock that wood-painting technique in a prominent place in my hobby brain. Simply amazing!

And then weathered paint on wood....  :o how novice am I to thee compared!

Offline Severian

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2018, 05:29:36 PM »
Yes, that boat is properly well done. Great work!

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2018, 05:49:18 PM »
If I could I’d lock that wood-painting technique in a prominent place in my hobby brain. Simply amazing!

And then weathered paint on wood....  :o how novice am I to thee compared!

Me too! Really outstanding technique!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi