Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:24:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690822
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Border Reivers Garrison Troops Uniform ?  (Read 1728 times)

Offline bobblezbob

• Scientist
Border Reivers Garrison Troops Uniform ?
« on: February 24, 2018, 08:42:20 AM »
Hi,

I am about to paint up some of Jim Bowen's lovely sculpts, Border Reivers Garrison figures, and was wondering if - in real life - they would have worn a unified clothing colour scheme to signify that they were employed by the Crown. I'm guessing that those tasked with recruiting men to produce a garrison force to guard the frontier at Carlisle, Newcastle, Berwick (?) would have received some sort of subsidy from the Crown for clothing troops - I can't imagine a rag-tag looking force turning out for some Royal visit.......but then I could be wrong ! 
I've done a Google search for this without much joy and am hoping there is someone with a wider knowledge of the 16th c who could enlighten me please ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards 

Offline Black Burt

• Scientist
Re: Border Reivers Garrison Troops Uniform ?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 02:51:18 PM »
Got this from: http://www.explore-northumberland.co.uk/Session%209%20Garrison%201.pdf

RULES OF THE GARRISON OF BERWICK 1560 -1577
The soldiers of the garrison were uniformed in the traditional colours of the Tudor
monarchs:
Every soldier (was) to have a Jacket of white and green
If there be any soldier of this garrison that is abled & admitted by the captain to take the
Queen's wages, and if they have not a Jacket of the Queen’s colours white & green and it to
wear at all such seasons and times as he shall have summons from the said captain: he or they
having no such Jacket and wear it, for the first default to lose 3 day’s wages and for one day
to be imprisoned, and for the second time to be dismissed of wages

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 06:15:23 PM »
Amusing that no soldier of the garrison  was to "use dice or cards but at Christmas !"

Offline bobblezbob

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 07:12:50 PM »
Magic !!!! Well spotted Black Burt and thanks for sharing - a wealth of info there  :)

Regards

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 07:36:18 AM »
That is fantastic. I've got the same said miniatures and have been wondering how to paint - now I know! Cheers!

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 03:52:52 PM »
A quick question, I am considering ordering some of the Bowen figures from Hoka Hey, but am wondering about flash.  These molds are getting a bit old in the tooth (as am I !), and when that happens they are more prone to excess flash on the castings (unless the molds are chased every so often).  As I don't want to be spending inordinate time cleaning up excessive flash (and already have a number of Elizabethan figures to paint), how clean are the castings ?  Thanks.

Offline bobblezbob

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 09:18:02 AM »
Hi Metternich.

I'm working my way through the Bowen Border Reiver range at the moment, painting them up for Hoka Hey's show display cabinets, and I've not come across any flash at all. Alan at Hoka Hey (a really great guy to deal with by the way) said there is a bit of flash between the horses legs but I've not seen those figures yet so can't comment I'm afraid.
As I said, Alan is a great guy to deal with so if you still have any doubts or questions give him a call for a chat.

Regards 

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 10:49:56 PM »
Not had ,much of problem withy flashing. They're lovely miniatures to paint. Wish there were more.

Offline Iceaxe

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 03:12:17 AM »
I've been trying to find an answer to this & had no luck, so thought I'd ask the collective wisdom here. Having a swag of Reivers & Garrison men, and being in the Berwick Wargames Assoc., I now have to paint up some as more as Berwick Garrison troops. 'White & green' though - would that be half the coat of each, quartered, green jacket & white hose - any thoughts?

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 10:47:00 PM »
This shows an Elizabethan uniform of the period - should give you the idea for adapting the colors to those of the Berwick garrison.

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/TonyBarton/media/cGF0aDovQXJjYWJ1Y2Vyby1JbmdsZXMtMTU0NS0xLmpwZw==/?ref=