Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:14:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686476
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Agis' SMOG: Rise of Moloch minis  (Read 8143 times)

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
Agis' SMOG: Rise of Moloch minis
« on: February 24, 2018, 10:37:29 AM »

Another splendid CMON Kickstarter, great backer support and a delivery right on time! The miniatures are simply breathtakingly good for one piece game pieces and the game play is IMO very nice, a solid 1 vs many game like Star Wars Imperial Assault.

The minis below are an experiment for me - a joined venture of Regina Matke and me. We wanted the 5 core heroes (Gentlemen / women) painted for the 1st game so we decided to split the work. The 3 minis to the left (Emma Swanson, Abigail Sutherland and Drago) are painted by Regina, while the two folks to the right (Walter Cavendish and Major Dreadful) are done by me. By doing this we finished all five minis within a week.

The embarrassing part for me is, Regina paints minis only for ONE YEAR! Incredible work IMO.
:)

Some days later I finished my 5 heroes, see them on my site as always:
http://www.adpublishing.de/html/victorian_sf.html
Not much of a difference, only a different approach in style!
BTW - CMON was kind enough to give two different sculpts of the feisty Miss Swanson, even with different rules! The mini above is the more heavy armed lady.
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - http://www.adpublishing.de

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Re: Agis' SMOG: Rise of Moloch minis
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 05:03:53 PM »
Lovely paintwork, Regina and Agis, like Major D best!

Got my pledge, too. Did you already play the campaign or just Chapter One as one-shot adventure?

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 09:47:06 AM »
Lovely paintwork, Regina and Agis, like Major D best!

Got my pledge, too. Did you already play the campaign or just Chapter One as one-shot adventure?
Thanks Alex, we started a campaign and played the 1st 2 missions so far. Tuesday we'll tackle the 3rd.

So far I like it a lot.
Very similar - as far as the huge amount of counters and game preparation is concerned-  to Imperial Assault, but IMO plays somehow a bit smoother.
And the minis are just GREAT!

Offline Tesla knight

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 11:24:15 AM »
Really nice paint job.

I'd ummed and arred about backing this one for a while. Wish I had now!

Offline Zombie Ste

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 04:31:06 AM »
Always a pleasure to see your work! Especially given we seem to pick up the same cmon games and your work is always fantastic and a hell of a lot more speedier than my own lol.

Keep up the good work, and keep sharing the results with us here :-*

The system is great, we've played three games now (1st scenario got 2 separate play through while we learned the rules) you're right, it is a lot like imperial assault, but much smoother to run.
I felt totally overwhelmed while setting the first game up, but within a turn it all made perfect sense.
The 2nd game we played with about 50% none-regular gaming folk, and everyone found it great.
The games designers seem to have struck a pretty perfect balance between simplicity and complexity with this one and I doff my top hat to them,
Of the 3 cmon kickstarters that all landed on my doorstep over the space of a week, this one is definitely my favourite

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 09:36:01 AM »
Thanks!

Keep up the good work, and keep sharing the results with us here :-*
Will do!

The system is great, we've played three games now (1st scenario got 2 separate play through while we learned the rules) you're right, it is a lot like imperial assault, but much smoother to run.
I felt totally overwhelmed while setting the first game up, but within a turn it all made perfect sense.
The 2nd game we played with about 50% none-regular gaming folk, and everyone found it great.
The games designers seem to have struck a pretty perfect balance between simplicity and complexity with this one and I doff my top hat to them,
Sums up my impression pretty well, yesterday I played the first mission with 2 buddies from work, after 2 or 3 game rounds all was fine!

Of the 3 cmon kickstarters that all landed on my doorstep over the space of a week, this one is definitely my favourite
Hmm, let me guess, Rising Sun, Black Plague 2 and SMOG?  ;)  Same here, and yes SMOG appealed the most to me too.

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 09:37:38 AM »
BTW - We had an odd situation during the 2nd mission - "The Ghostly Curator".
 Under - Gain Insight- the movement rules for Blackmore are IMO a bit unclear.
 Quote " Blackmore activates, he will move to a random Point of Interest"

Is he
 a) performing an agility action and moves, or is
 b) the mini directly placed on the Point of Interest? (like a ghostly teleport)

We decided b.

Any comments are welcome.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 10:02:56 AM »
BTW - We had an odd situation during the 2nd mission - "The Ghostly Curator".
 Under - Gain Insight- the movement rules for Blackmore are IMO a bit unclear.
 Quote " Blackmore activates, he will move to a random Point of Interest"

Is he
 a) performing an agility action and moves, or is
 b) the mini directly placed on the Point of Interest? (like a ghostly teleport)

We decided b.

Any comments are welcome.

I was thinking about this one, too. In the meantime I'm pretty sure Blackmore is supposed to teleport there. It just makes more sense than anything else and nicely fits the fact that Blackmore is a ghost.

Offline Zombie Ste

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 01:49:22 AM »
Yeah, I assumed he's just placed. Otherwise, as an ally with only a single action, he wouldn't be able to make it from one point of interest to another with a single move in most cases.
Also because you're rolling every turn, he could effectively end up strung out between 2 points and never base either if you're particularly unlucky with the dice rolls  lol
The run through of chapter 2 does say that with a little luck the gentlemen can accomplish their objectives in 4 turns, so I'd assume he should always be stood on an active objective at the end of each of his activations for that to happen... pretty sure it'd be impossible if he had to move there using agility.

On the subject of game play, has anybody had any luck as the nemesis yet?
Now we're still no further than chapter 2, and I'm guessing/hoping it gets harder for the gentlemen as the campaign progresses, but the first 2 chapters (at least) are nearly impossible for the nemesis to win, and I worry that if the gentlemen wrack up too many moloch stones and chapter bonuses, the later games will prove too much of a cake walk for them...

Is this the case? Or is it just certain scenarios are weighted more towards one side or the other?
Perhaps a better question would be; has anyone played enough games yet to even have an opinion on this? Lol

Either way I'm having loads of fun as the nemesis, even if all my plans go the dick dastardly route of failure  lol
Damn those pesky gentlemen  >:D

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 12:39:56 PM »
Well... I played mission 1  three times in 3 different groups.
2x Nemesis win, 1x Gentlemen win.

IMO the key for the nemesis to win in Mission 1 is blocking the escape route for the damsel and killing the Bobbies. Once the Bobbies are gone you can easily pick off the damsel, even cover can't help her long.

Otherwise, I can only agree, it is one of those games where you have fun even while losing...  ;)

BTW - More painted minis from Regina and me over the weekend!

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 03:57:08 PM »
Played chapter 1&2, both win for Gentlemen so far but they had to work hard on that, particularly in the first mission a very close thing. Game saved by sacrifice of a bobby. Thus, yes, try to get rid of the bobbies, that certainly would help. In the second chapter gents were almost overrun by the amount of zombies, five spawned each round, two with help of the Nemesis card and Priestess Ira made sure to double activate some of them. The only game for Abigail was to be neutralized  to revive afterwards, for 3 times.  Kind of Zombicide mission placed in Rise of Moloch :)

Offline Zombie Ste

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2018, 02:18:53 AM »
Glad to hear other dastardly evil-doers are having more luck than me lol
We've just realised that we played the first mission wrong... we let the damsel pick up the fire extinguisher, meaning the impossible could happen and the fire went out turn one, thus giving the good guys time to fortify the station and weather the horde... doh!
Even with that though, I still managed to kill all the bobbies and reduce the damsel to her last wound, so I guess I'm not doing too badly.
Just wish I'd properly checked the mission outcomes first, as starting chapter 2 with 2 3rds of the agents effectively halved in threat level, leaves you with one hell of a steep hill to climb.

Still fleeing for the shadows, screaming "I'll get you next time!" Is a lot of fun in itself  lol

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2018, 11:45:19 AM »

Some more minis painted by Regina - Damon, the Damsel in Distress, Suzanne Taylor (the double of her Majesty herself) and Parvin Khan the Indian Mekamancer.

Some allies for the Unicorn club - Cavendishs Meka Nanny and Winston the faithful dog of Major Dreadful.
I just love the mini of the Dog!

Two villains/ Gentlemen from the Holmes expansion - Irene Adler and Colonel Moran. You can play them as villains or heroes!
The original Irene sculpt was IMO too busy with the way too much smoke...
See:

Some cutting and hole drilling  was required too get my look, hopefully you like it.

And as always more on my site: http://www.adpublishing.de/html/victorian_sf.html

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2018, 05:39:41 PM »
Lovely stuff!
Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV

Offline Zombie Ste

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2018, 03:20:39 AM »
Excellent brush work as usual, though I must confess, the crazy smoke trails on Adler makes her my favourite mini in the set. Though it pains me to see that beautiful mess removed, you did a Stirling job of removing it all and tidying it up as though it never existed