Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:18:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Suggestions for Sudan rules?  (Read 6294 times)

Offline ragbones

• Scientist
Re: Suggestions for Sudan rules?
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2019, 06:55:12 PM »
The original version of TSATF (the one by Yaquinto from 1978 or so) has a curiously deterministic system for firing and melee where you just rolled 1d6 causing a small variation in the results. I believe the later versions had you roll d20 per figure.
We found that keeping track of wounded figures might be realistic but it got a bit tedious and slowed the game way down.
It's a good set of rules for its age, but a lot of better systems have come out in the intervening 40 years.

Like Steve, we also grew tired of keeping track of the wounded so we did away with that.  There are variants available online to speed up TSATF’s melee mechanic.  I love playing in a TSATF game run by a really good game master but I don’t like running TSATF games.  I’ve switched to ‘A Good Dusting’ and ‘The Men Who Would Be King’ depending on mood and type of game.  We successfully use the basic mechanics of TMWWBK for games featuring a thousand miniatures. 
Hail to the King, baby.

Offline LCpl McDoom

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2019, 03:04:29 PM »
Just as a follow-up, in case anyone is interested.

Science vs Pluck 3rd Edition is available at the Wargames Vault summer sale as a watermarked PDF download for $3.74.

https://www.wargamevault.com/product/142718/Science-Vs-Pluck-3rd-ed?manufacturers_id=4762

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2019, 11:27:32 PM »
There's a new contender from Partizan Press:

https://www.caliverbooks.com/bookview.php?&id=27447

I was going to mention these, I just read the tiny bit about them in Miniature Wargames today....does anybody know what the unit sizes are? It said it uses the Bonnie Blue Flag attrition rules, I wondered if it is designed for similar sized units, (ie a brigade of 4  x 24 figure battalions plus cavalry and artillery)
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2019, 09:24:37 PM »
If you are considering the possibility of using TMWWBK you might take a look at
Rebels & Patriots which I think deals with games in a smoother (quicker/easier) way.
Easily modified for Sudan.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2019, 10:35:24 PM »
I now have the Up The Nile rules on order, will have a read through when they get here and relay what I think, if anyone is interested..

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2019, 12:20:37 PM »
Vodkafan, yes, please do post your thoughts on the rules.

Offline RichCitti

• Student
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2019, 03:02:50 PM »
My group is partial to Battles for Empire II.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2019, 03:18:06 PM »
Vodkafan, yes, please do post your thoughts on the rules.

I like the look of the UpThe Nile rules.  Had a good read through.
 Pros:
 The flexibility of the unit sizes (not just the basing) allowing to up or downscale games; (for instance 12 or 24 man units would play the same)
Players dice for initiative , not UGOIGO
 Simple mechanisms (firing, attrition) that I think will be quick to learn and apply. I think the "Attrition" attribute would have been better named as "Fortitude" or similar though. A lot of thought has gone into the rules for "forming square" which I think will make for just the sort of fun gamebreaker  that I like!
 Lots of optional additional rules to add flavor (special characters, Overwhelming Odds, river boats, sieges, Religious fanatics, impetuous cavalry).
 QRF sheet
 Solo play rules using normal playing cards, with options for natives to pop up from out of nowhere.

Cons: none , but I would have like to see a couple more scenarios added to the book, there are only 2

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2019, 03:18:31 PM »
You can't go wrong with TMWWBK, but you also might want to look at Up the Nile, which is a new rule book from Partizan Press.

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2019, 08:34:13 PM »
Stick with Black Powder especially for Big Games

Here is my take on the same battle fought with BP & TMWWBK - there is a clear winner

Part 1

http://shedwars.blogspot.com/2018/07/ambush-on-nile.html

Part 2

http://shedwars.blogspot.com/2018/07/ambush-on-nile-part-2.html

Offline NICEJOHN

• Lurker
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2019, 12:40:58 PM »
Hi Keith I have used TSATF for a long time. Small games, large (16x8) demo games and home based skirmish events. The rules work well and are enjoyable to play and there is a Boxer supplement if I remember correctly!

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2019, 05:03:38 PM »
I now have the Up The Nile rules on order, will have a read through when they get here and relay what I think, if anyone is interested..

Yes pls buddy

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2019, 09:46:14 PM »
Yes pls buddy

Scroll up this page a bit Lord Raglan, I posted my first impressions just before your next-to-last post. I do like the look of them, I think they are a very clever ruleset , but the cleverness is all "out of sight" hidden in the simple mechanisms.

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2019, 10:55:29 PM »
Scroll up this page a bit Lord Raglan, I posted my first impressions just before your next-to-last post. I do like the look of them, I think they are a very clever ruleset , but the cleverness is all "out of sight" hidden in the simple mechanisms.

Thanks for the pointer mate, I was viewing on my phone earlier and I can't see the bloody screen at the best of times.

Glad you like them and they seem promising. 
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 10:57:11 PM by Lord Raglan »