Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:06:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Saga V2 Terrain Q's  (Read 2004 times)

Offline DancesWithHippos

• Librarian
    • Blog!
Saga V2 Terrain Q's
« on: February 25, 2018, 05:42:57 PM »
Hey guys. I've been out of the hobby for a bit and I'm returning for the new version of Saga. I've got some cool minis from V&V on order (http://vminiatures.com/28-mm/). In the mean time I want to begin putting a board together for play. I'm a pretty decent terrain maker, my main concern is play-ability as I will be hosting some non wargamers in their first game. Essentially, I wanted some advice for a nice terrain set that I can build or purchase that will be visually appealing, be flexible for multiple scenarios, and create a fun tactical environment . Does anyone have any examples of a well laid out board or list of buildings/features that would prove useful?

Online Byrthnoth

• Bookworm
Re: Saga V2 Terrain Q's
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 07:46:27 PM »
Do you have a copy of the basic rule book yet? The 'clash of warlords' scenario at the back has a list of basic terrain pieces and recommended sizes (up to 20x20 cm for small pieces or 30x30 cm for large ones). I'm planning to build my terrain based on that list, so 3 woods, 1 section of rocky ground, etc.

I'll probably add a river/stream and a few extra buildings as well to allow me to play river crossing and village raid type scenarios.

Offline DancesWithHippos

• Librarian
    • Blog!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 09:33:16 PM »
Do you have a copy of the basic rule book yet? The 'clash of warlords' scenario at the back has a list of basic terrain pieces and recommended sizes (up to 20x20 cm for small pieces or 30x30 cm for large ones). I'm planning to build my terrain based on that list, so 3 woods, 1 section of rocky ground, etc.

I'll probably add a river/stream and a few extra buildings as well to allow me to play river crossing and village raid type scenarios.

Thanks for the advice. My rule book is on the way from Footsore so, so it should arrive well before the minis.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 04:06:26 PM »
For good looking woods that are playable I like the terrain bases with base inserts such as 4Ground's tree bases. You can push a couple together to make a larger wood if need be. Sarissa precision also make one that is a little larger. Alternatively you could make your own. IIRC correctly the rules for buildings in V1 created issues if you wanted to have a cluster of buildings; hopefully that has changed a bit in V2.

Offline tjantzen

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 08:28:24 AM »
For good looking woods that are playable I like the terrain bases with base inserts such as 4Ground's tree bases. You can push a couple together to make a larger wood if need be. Sarissa precision also make one that is a little larger. Alternatively you could make your own. IIRC correctly the rules for buildings in V1 created issues if you wanted to have a cluster of buildings; hopefully that has changed a bit in V2.

hi!
Buildings are no more in Saga2 - they are treated as ruins. ie. high terrain, uneven ground and solid cover
But in the forthcoming scenario book - "book of battles" (I think that's what they call it) they might re-introduce buildings...

BR
Thomas

Offline Tibson

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 11:28:05 PM »
It figures.  Now that I have three nice looking Viking buildings from 4Ground all put together and a fourth still in the box.

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 06:29:08 AM »
hi!
Buildings are no more in Saga2 - they are treated as ruins. ie. high terrain, uneven ground and solid cover
But in the forthcoming scenario book - "book of battles" (I think that's what they call it) they might re-introduce buildings...

BR
Thomas

Truth be told, I prefer buildings are just used as impassable, high terrain. Dark Ages dwellings weren't precisely the best places were to engage in hand to hand combat: low ceilings, dark, cramped and without windows that could be used to shot a bow from. In the sagas, even king's halls are treated as narrative devices: the hall is surrounded by enemies and put to the torch; then, the warriors inside try to exit and are killed one by one; sometimes, the hero escapes -barely- with his life, before returning to seek revenge.