Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:11:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Birth of Night Goblins, 15mm  (Read 1813 times)

Offline Teardrop World

• Librarian
    • Teardrop Worlds, blog
Birth of Night Goblins, 15mm
« on: February 25, 2018, 10:19:31 PM »
After some game of King of War (free edition), I finally purchased the book. My opponent had a GW Bretonnian army, and I played with Night Goblins from the same brand. I like goblins, and play a bit silly - some units sometime fighting against each other. Laughing loud in defeat, surprised when victory occur. As I plan to use the rules with 15 mm  minis, I was disappointed to not find Night Goblins at this small size.

An ambitious project is born: make my own Goblins, with less pointy pikes and noses. I'm overly envious of some of you, who can hand sculpt marvellous miniatures, and I tried to sculpt some 15 mm for a Crom game. But stopped because of allergy to green putty/bad sight/clumsy/etc. As a traditional method is beyond my capacities, I opted for a lazy option: modelling those garish fellows in 3D and print them home.
After a full day of limited work, the first model is made: five parts, body - face - shield - one arm and spear. The idea is to have different spear poses. As I'm not talented in rigging 3D models, the arm is monobloc and can be freely rotated along the axis.

Picture 1: model of Sharpstick on the screen. Ugly face, huge robe hiding a starving body.

Next step, print the figurine. A try with a 0,3 mm nozzle and layer of 60 micron. Fail: the nose is melted and point to the sky. Test with a cheap resin printer. Too much wobble on the printer and not enough detail. Perseverance, coffee, smaller nozzle - 0,2 mm and layers of 40 micron. More than five hours to print the first Troop base (only four removable minis on troop base). The detail are crisps and printing lines not visible.

Picture 2: Fresh print, supports removed, mini not cleaned

A quick coat of guesso, then some colours and voilà: a Horde of Night Goblins in the Ulvheim ruins. Printed in one week.

Next step: modelling of the bowmen and swordmen. Making silicon moulds and trying to cast them in metal. If things go well, maybe goblins on spiders or rats.

Cheers

Offline Frostie

• Mad Scientist
Re: Birth of Night Goblins, 15mm
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 08:17:47 AM »
Nice