Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:26:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Theban Sacred Band  (Read 5732 times)

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
Re: Theban Sacred Band
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2018, 07:38:06 PM »
The lack of variants I supect is a function of an unfinished range.

I'm sure it is. Still, really not appealing for me, and slightly disappointing too. :(

Offline Orchomeno

• Assistant
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2018, 08:24:27 PM »
He’s done lots of variants of fantasy naked hoplites over the years. How many do you want?   :-*

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2018, 09:38:46 PM »
How many variants would make sense?  They are standing in phalanx formation with shield and spear.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2018, 12:16:59 AM »
How many variants would make sense?  They are standing in phalanx formation with shield and spear.

Well, it's probably me being spoiled, but considering how detailed and characterful the models are i'd say that four poses are definitely too few. I'm generally used to have only unique poses in my skirmish games, but even in formation they would look weird. Especially when you have only two standing models and two attacking one: the variation on the first rank would be between two poses only.

Again, i'm probably not the target for this kind of product, but still.

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2018, 07:39:01 AM »
Selling packs of 8 figures with 4 poses is something Warlord has done pretty much from the beginning - certainly true for the metal Romans released some 10 years ago now - right until this day. As such, I don't think the sculptor in question has any particular relevance, nor is it a very novel strategy from the company itself.  ;)
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Nevyen

• Scientist
    • 5th Column Wargaming
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2018, 08:45:42 AM »
Well I like them and given the style of sculpt I'll probably convert some to add it some more variety.  I get the frustration of pose limitation but there are ways to overcome that.

Offline Orchomeno

• Assistant
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2018, 05:20:05 PM »
There’s very simple economics here. No one is going to make their money back on a large number of sculpts for a rather fantasy Theban sacred band. The number of completists who would field a unit is vanishingly small, and being button counters they’ll field normal hoplites with perhaps a club painted on the shield.

Thebans aren’t Spartans. They aren’t even Athenians. The demand isn’t there. And that’s before you get into Neanderthal territory about the particular esprit de Corp of the Sacred band, which isn’t going to help sales either, sad to say.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2018, 06:30:21 PM »
Super frustrating isn't it. And there are fab looking greens in existence for Carthaginians, Mid Republic Romans, Early Spartans in bronze...

Link? Quite curious myself.

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2018, 02:04:15 PM »
Link? Quite curious myself.

Apparently Steve Saleh is a rather fickle sculptor. His Greek ranges, which he did for Foundry, were continued or redone under changing lables: at Gorgon Studios (Spartans, Etruscans), Gripping Beast/Polemarch (Hellenistic), and Warlord (Hellenistic). He also did some hoplites and peltasts for his "Lucid Eye" venture, distributed by North Star. The range changed hands shortly after (and repeatedly since then?), but some models haven't resurfaced yet with the Greeks among those. Haven't seen any Carthaginians or Republican Romans from his – admittedly, very talented – hands, yet it's quite possible they are another abandoned and literally vanished project.

I'm not taken by his rendition of the Sacred Band. Like others before, I'm not convinced by their (lack of) equipment and stances. Their background, likely heavily distorted by our sources or simply misunderstood today, had no impact on their appearance. There's a dedicated piece in this issue of Ancient Warfare Magazine on Thebes, worth a read for anyone interested.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 02:06:01 PM by Mad Doc Morris »

Offline delbruck

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2018, 06:53:06 PM »
I forgot about the Lucid Eye hoplites. They were very nice sculpts.

Offline markw

• Librarian
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2018, 10:22:47 AM »
Does anyone know what happened to the Lucid Eye Hoplites and Peltasts he did? I saw a few for sale on eBay lt year alas I did not buy them. They would have mixed well with the Thebans I think.

Offline jcspqr

• Librarian
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2018, 06:26:51 PM »
Yes, the Lucid Eye hoplites were nice, thought they look a bit heftier than the Warlord Sacred Band.    No idea where they ended up.  Steve may be holding onto them for a future venture.

Jim

Offline Nevyen

• Scientist
    • 5th Column Wargaming
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2018, 11:09:04 AM »
I contacted Lucid eye a while back and was able to get a heap cast up.  I think you just need to ask these days.

Offline markw

• Librarian
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2018, 01:24:01 PM »
I recently went back to painting Foundry Greeks Steve designed. Even now they are better dynamically and they paint up better than most newer ranges.

Offline General Ballroom

• Student
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2018, 01:43:07 PM »
I confess I couldn't resist giving mine pink tunics.

A little bit homophobic....