Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:48:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690815
  • Total Topics: 118353
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Is Wargaming Getting Too Easy?  (Read 8100 times)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Re: Is Wargaming Getting Too Easy?
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2018, 12:26:50 PM »
The below link is for anyone with time to spare for such a diversion :-)
 http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/remembering-old-wargame.html

Great post Norm. Thanks
 :D

I remember playing the Leicester rules (or at least our interpretation of them).

Although this is the later version.

Picked them up with an order of the tanks and vehicles from Bill Brewers shop in '69 or '70. Hand written letter and postal order from an advert in Military Modelling magazine.
I still have and use a couple of those tanks now. 2 Wespes: Cast in real lead, sewing pins for barrels, brass tube indentations for wheels and the crew compartment cast solid.
Dreadful things, but under a coat of paint and a plentiful mush of glue and flock they never fail to give good service alongside their modern compatriots.

IIRC we stopped using the Leicester rules when TTG's "Firefly" came out, they were even more mind numbingly complex but at the time were absolutely the best rules ever.

I am sure that in gaming same as everything else "what goes around comes around". More complex simulation style games will be back, even if they will have to be packaged like the mass market glossies and use technology to replace the manual calculations and detail analysis of before.
As an example, the Kriegsmarine "UBoot" game on Kickstarter may be the way things are going.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/phalanxgames/uboot-the-board-game

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2018, 12:45:14 PM »
Just this week I got to suggest - and it may be taken up - a Uni evening class on wargaming, and this thread, as well as the blog post which started it and the links above might fill up a whole two hour lecture  :D

My take on this is that it's always as easy or difficult as you make it; if it's accessibility that's the issue, then yes, it is, I guess - it still rankles that an order of little 6mm scale tanks I made some 37 years ago or so by mail never appeared. I only got into wargaming once local shops started getting wargaming products (Games Workshop, Ral Partha, Chainmail). Then came the internet, which opened up a whole new world; and then PayPal, which made buying easier, which might not be 100% a positive development  :?  :D

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2018, 06:50:21 PM »
I find it hard to disagree with this Richard, it’s a broad church, with room even for plastic gnomes and fairies after all.

lol
Touche

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2018, 07:00:07 PM »
I find it hard to disagree with this Richard, it’s a broad church, with room even for plastic gnomes and fairies after all.

THAT IS BRILLIANT! We totally need a boxed set of plastic gnomes for fantasy massed battles! And plastic fairies - with unicorn cavalry!  ;)

"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2018, 09:35:58 PM »
THAT IS BRILLIANT! We totally need a boxed set of plastic gnomes for fantasy massed battles! And plastic fairies - with unicorn cavalry!  ;)

I would love to see some proper blue and red, bearded gnomes in super high quality!
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2018, 09:43:52 PM »
I would love to see some proper blue and red, bearded gnomes in super high quality!

Ah, well now ...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1328919671/creatures-underground-gnomes/
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter