Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:11:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690724
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: How do you pick up your figures?  (Read 2247 times)

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
  • Pulp Alley Phantom Agent
    • Rants and Ramblings of an Unfocused Gamer
How do you pick up your figures?
« on: February 27, 2018, 02:46:08 AM »
Hi

Just an odd thought, about figures, basing and movement.

I have been admiring the painting and basing skills of the contributors on this site and I am interested in what others do regarding basing, and the purpose of basing figures.

Do people pick up individual figures by the base or the figure?

Is there a priority for why you base figures, i.e. do you base to keep figures from tipping over, or is it to provide something to grab a hold of to pick up the figure, or is it that decorated bases complete the figure?
All of the above, one more than the other?

This question came up while discussing the PA super thin bases with a fellow gamer. They are the best bases that I have seen (not seen?) for clear bases. When I see figures mounted on thicker clear bases I keep seeing the clear base, not so much with PA bases. However they look impossible to pick up by the base, this fact being a deal breaker for my friend.

Now when play a game with figures mount on multi figure bases without thinking about it I will pick up the figures by the base however  I am not certain I use the base for individual figure. Now 99% of the time I play with my own figures, so I am less concerned about damage. I also avoid greasy foods while handling figures to avoid damaging the figures.

Anyways just curious about the thoughts of others
For more gaming stuff feel free to check out my blogs:
General blog: Rants and Ramblings of an Unfocused Gamer @ http://menelduir.blogspot.ca/
Painting/building blog @ https://menelduirspainting.blogspot.com/
VSF related blog @ https://vsfadventuresofmenelduir.blogspot.com/

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Re: How do you pick up your figures?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 05:10:58 AM »
Multi based figures I pick up by the base; individual figures it depends: plastic by the figure or the base if it is handy; metal by the base unless there is no way around picking it up by the figure.

Offline MartinR

• Scientist
    • The games we play
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 07:10:07 AM »
I've got big, fat fingers so I usually grab them by the head, body or whatever. The bases are there to aid storage, ensure the figures stand up and that units take up a reasonable amount of space on the tabletop.

That is why my figures and vehicles are slathered in varnish and don't have too many fiddly and fragile bits stuck to them.
"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 07:13:07 AM »
This is more of a Workbench type topic and I'm wondering if you might get some good responses if it's moved to that board?

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 08:13:29 AM »
Mine are well-varnished specifically so they can be picked up (or tipped over) without worrying about the paint.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Dags

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 10:41:02 AM »
Ply them with alcohol, chocolates & flowers and whisper sweet nothings  ;)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 10:51:05 AM »
Ply them with alcohol, chocolates & flowers and whisper sweet nothings  ;)

I prefer to pick up cheap, dirty figures behind the railway station.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline gweirda

• Librarian
    • Brawlfactory
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 12:04:31 PM »
Is there a priority for why you base figures, i.e. do you base to keep figures from tipping over, or is it to provide something to grab a hold of to pick up the figure, or is it that decorated bases complete the figure?
All of the above, one more than the other?

I base to keep the figures from tipping over with the minimum impact on both the visual and physical aspect of the game - the latter moreso when it comes to fitting figs into terrain and/or affecting ranges
So: Clear, thin, small diameter discs that get in the way as little as possible.

This means, of course, that I'm grabbing them with my fat, stubby fingers - but like others have mentioned, I consider them to be made for that and so don't have a problem with it (helps that my painting is rubbish!).

Hey, the image thingy worked!   :)

PS- This was originally on the Pulp board, that's why that pic used
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 09:56:11 PM by gweirda »

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 05:00:46 PM »
Mine are well-varnished specifically so they can be picked up (or tipped over) without worrying about the paint.

The same here. Our models get used frequently, and we handle the figures directly (not the base).

Maybe once every 3-4 years I notice a figure that could use a quick touch up.  ;)

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 11:15:42 PM »
I pick them up by whatever bit of them is close enough/stable enough to grab.
But that's MY figures. I built them, i painted them, i know how they've been finished and what parts of them are strong and what parts are held on by spit and hope.

If i was handling someone elses figures I always pick them up by the base rim or very lightly get them off the table by picking them up by the torso before holding them by the base.

never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline DavyJones

• Scientist
    • GlueandDice.com - Adventures in small worlds
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 02:22:43 PM »
+1

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2018, 02:27:06 AM »
My rule is - if you aren't willing to allow your figures to be handled, you shouldn't put them on the table.  Sure, a modicum of respect from the handler, please, but figures are meant to be played with.  That is, for most of us at least, the whole point of the hobby.  Otherwise, they belong in a display case.  Well, maybe yours, not mine - ain't that good a painter!

Offline gweirda

• Librarian
    • Brawlfactory
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2018, 03:15:07 AM »
yup...what he(fifteensaway) said.

I'm a lifelong modeller - lucky enough to spend more than a decade getting paid for it.

If I want to model something, that's what I do.  If it's a thing, I expect it to be handled with the appropriate care.  If it's an action (ie: a wargame) then I expect the same thing.

When I put things on the table in a game, I'm modelling the action -not the pieces.

IMO, if you put models of things on a table that's modelling an action, you gets what you gets as far as handling goes.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 06:10:34 AM by gweirda »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2018, 10:24:58 AM »
I suppose the TS question could be rephrased like so: how do you make your miniatures resilient to handling on the wargame table?

How they are picked up is only one aspect of it (although I do encourage those who dare handling my miniatures to pick them up by the base.)

But when I am gaming I really do not care to police the treatment of miniatures and scenery much. Gaming should in my view, just like RPGs, be very much about getting into the groove.

I prep all my miniatures thusly (some of this I am sure you do to):

* I make sure the miniatures are cleaned thoroughly before they are painted. PJs can be caused to flake by dirt, oils and release agent residue.

* I pin most loose parts.

* I mount all miniatures on metal washers. Miniatures need sits firmer on the gaming table with a heavy base and are less prone to topple. This is especially true about plastic minis.

* I use a good spray on car primer. They generally have superior adherence compared to normal paint and is formulated to have a slightly grainy texture which gives the artist paints something to catch on to.

* I give the completed PJ a few passes of clear gloss spray on polyurethane (or cellulose) lacquer. The reason is that the gloss paint *and* lacquer (rather than matt and acrylic) leaves a harder seal. I remove the shine (where there should be none) with paint on clear acrylic matt solution.

* I discourage players to tip over my miniatures as a way to demonstrate a casualty. It is a surefire way to irk me.  >:D

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2018, 10:25:44 AM »
My rule is - if you aren't willing to allow your figures to be handled, you shouldn't put them on the table.  Sure, a modicum of respect from the handler, please, but figures are meant to be played with.  That is, for most of us at least, the whole point of the hobby.  Otherwise, they belong in a display case.  Well, maybe yours, not mine - ain't that good a painter!

This ^