Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:23:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690604
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: HYW Mounted Knights/Men at Arms  (Read 2003 times)

Offline Mark

• Librarian
HYW Mounted Knights/Men at Arms
« on: February 27, 2018, 02:39:28 PM »
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone had any particular recommendations for mounted men at arms in the 1415-29 period in 28mm. I am beginning to lose hope on the Perry plastic set arriving any time soon and I am churning through the infantry at a respectable rate!

For value, I am considering picking up a few packs of the metal Perry sculpts, but I am slightly wary after reading a fair amount of concern on Perry metals castings on here recently.

Grateful for any thoughts.

I would be even more grateful if someone in the know is aware of when the plastic box might arrive and tell me it is imminently!

Cheers

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
Re: HYW Mounted Knights/Men at Arms
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 02:52:43 PM »
Regarding the plastic HYW cavalry, I am not certain that even the Perry bros know when it will come out - but if they have actually started to sculpt it, I would expect to see them having something to show at Salute in April.

As for other metal options (besides Perry), there is at least the Front Rank HYW range, though those may look a bit bulkier than Perry figures (I do not know any). Please notice that they sell riders and horses separately.

Online JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 03:43:05 PM »
Don't forget the old Foundry range of HYW figures:

https://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/hundred-years-war-1337-1453

As they were also sculpted by the Perry's they fit nicely with their own later stuff. Horses might be a tad small compared to newer sculpts though.

Coincidentally, I find they swap out nicely with the Front Rank ones...  :)

EDIT: For what its worth, I haven't had any castings from Perry that I would say were unusable or particularly shoddy. I might be one of the lucky ones though...

« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 03:45:08 PM by JollyBob »

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 03:50:41 PM »
The Perry Orleans metal mounted figures are quite nice. I have several.

You could paint up some of the WOTR plastic mounted MAA & light cavalry and use them as a Substitute until the Agincourt plastics come out.
That would be a cheaper option. However, there is a danger that it may persuade you to start another medieval army...

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 06:13:36 PM »
For value, I am considering picking up a few packs of the metal Perry sculpts, but I am slightly wary after reading a fair amount of concern on Perry metals castings on here recently.

Don't be put off. They're really not that bad - you might be disappointed when you first unpack them and start cleaning them up, but once painted they look great. Why don't you just buy one pack first to try them out?

Offline rivers3162

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 10:25:22 PM »
I have nearly a dozen of their Agincourt mounted packs and they really are nice figures. Definitely worth the effort , although to be honest, most of the castings I’ve had have been very good anyways.

Offline delbruck

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 10:49:25 PM »
If I were to be doing HYW cavalry now, I might be tempted to do Front Rank. The cast quality is high, they have a nice variety, and the figures look heftier than Perry - which might suit mounted knights. The cast-on lances and spears fo put me off a little, but they have quite a variety with just hand weapons.

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 10:56:47 PM »
I have Front Rank and Perry and I would choose Perry hands down any day of the week.

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 02:12:19 PM »
Don't lose faith in the Perry plastic HYW mounted knights appearing in the mid term....

Online JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 02:50:11 PM »
Just thought there's also some reasonable offerings from Black Tree:

https://eoeorbisuk.com/collections/hundred-years-war?page=1

They look a lot better than then pics on the site would lead you to believe, and should fit with Perry figures quite well. Fairly cheap too if you wait for the ever changing sale to roll round to them again...

Offline Mark

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 02:52:56 PM »
Thanks all for the responses - and reassurances on the Perry metals.

The Perry Orleans metal mounted figures are quite nice. I have several.

You could paint up some of the WOTR plastic mounted MAA & light cavalry and use them as a Substitute until the Agincourt plastics come out.
That would be a cheaper option. However, there is a danger that it may persuade you to start another medieval army...

I do actually have a box of the WOTR cavalry (and a stalled WOTR project for A Coat of Steel) which may end up being substitute Lombards if the HYW option doesn't arrive!

Offline Mark

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 02:54:07 PM »
Don't lose faith in the Perry plastic HYW mounted knights appearing in the mid term....

Now that is a tantalising post!

Offline Byrthnoth

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 03:51:22 PM »
I haven't found the Perry metals to be bad, so I would just go with them if I was doing a late HYW project and already using the Perry plastic foot. If you feel up to kit-bashing, the War of the Roses men-at-arms with bits from the Agincourt foot knights seem like they should do the trick. It depends how much of a stickler you are for armour designs, I suppose.

Looking at the other ranges people have posted, a lot of them look perhaps aimed earlier in the war, so might not be the best options if you're looking for a specifically 'Agincourt to Orleans' army.

Offline delbruck

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2018, 08:02:06 PM »
It would certainly be nice to see HYW plastic mounted knights with a variety of separate bardings.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2018, 09:29:17 AM »

Quite  :)

Darrell.