Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:00:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690771
  • Total Topics: 118348
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Robotech: Kickstarter (read: Kevin Siembeda thanks you for your donations)  (Read 1915 times)

Offline Gardensnake

• Bookworm
I've never been a fan of established companies using Kickstarter. When a company that has been around 15-20 years or more thinks they have to resort to Kickstarter to produce a product, that tells me that the company has no faith in the product. I also don't trust companies that have to run kickstarters for every product they produce. Why should I trust them if they don't have any faith in their own product? If they aren't willing to go out on a limb for their product, why should I? For companies launching products or services, I am all for them using Kickstarter and hope they have success, but I am very wary of established, successful companies using it as a crutch.

William
Until such time as Congress stops being a ridiculous farce, comedy is utterly acceptable at their hearings.
Sean Patrick Fannon

Offline Yuber Okami

• Scientist
    • Huestes de Arcana - The blog!
Well, at least we got the base game. People who got into Heroquest 25th Anniversary are still waiting.

Offline Wachaza

• Mad Scientist
Well, at least we got the base game. People who got into Heroquest 25th Anniversary are still waiting.
If someone hijacks an IP that blatantly then they deserve everything they get.

I don't mind companies like Mantic or River Horse using it to start a game, or small producers using it to get a range going. Moulds are pricey and a big investment.

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
a ton of people said this would all turn to crap when the KS was announced stating Kevin was in brief a snake oil salesman and complete general tool. I listened to them and didn't buy in. To those people who ragged his scamming ways I thank you from the bottom of my wallet.

Unfortunately I didn't hear all of that. In fact it didn't seem like Palladium did a very good job of promoting their KS outside of their own small community. I trusted them simply on the grounds that I recognised them as being in the business for such a long time (what could go wrong?). During the KS I was under the impression that pretty much everything was ready to go into manufacturing once funding was in place. I think it was only a matter of weeks until it became clear that they were still pissing about with designing stuff and even writing the rules.

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
With Palladium being an RPG company, I found about how Kevin treats his freelance writers through RPG.net, from which I found out about the "Crisis of Treachery". So Kevin treats his freelances like **** and hired one of his friends (?) who robbed his offices. Yeah, that's not someone who I'd recommend running a company.

Nowadays, you can avoid First Created projects (including if this is the company's first miniatures project) and this will greatly reduce risk. You still should do as much searching as possible (and use BGG if it's a boardgame you're considering backing) for the company for further research.
Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline boywundyrx

• Librarian
a ton of people said this would all turn to crap when the KS was announced stating Kevin was in brief a snake oil salesman and complete general tool. I listened to them and didn't buy in. To those people who ragged his scamming ways I thank you from the bottom of my wallet.

This for me as well, though I seem to recall also hearing the planned miniatures were going to be as fiddly as hell (but maybe that was after the KS).

Offline TwoGunBob

• Scientist
    • It's a band thingy I play in
I bought in on the line that Kevin Siembieda and Palladium was just granting the license permissions to Ninja Division and Kevin was going to keep his meddling paws off of it. When Kevinb announced he was more or less taking over it was too late and Kevin said no refunds, you're stuck with me. Hindsight shows it turn into a bait n' switch as Ninja Division was pushed down the stairs (my speculation) so Kevin could steer this million dollar project himself (straight into the rocks).

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
Strange story. Palladium lost a lot of Fans because he never allowed conversion from his system to other and fought hard with lawyers against them. Than he made his terrible Kickstarter in 2013 and delivered in 2017, and now this end. I think know they will loose a lot of supporters again. Sad story at the end.For a long time Palladium Fantasy was a fantastic system
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 11:10:06 AM by NurgleHH »
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/