Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:40:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Revamping "How to"  (Read 943 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Revamping "How to"
« on: February 28, 2018, 11:45:14 AM »
Folks,

I am about to do a few minor changes to this sub-board and I am also about to tell you why:

Several years ago, when I was a young, innocent, pretty thing I created this board as place where to post tutorial on how to perform certain Wargames related tasks. As you know LAF is a great source to go to for how to achieve anything wargames related. These great tips tend to slip away over time in the flow of post which are made here. The idea with the "How to"-board was to have a repository of sound processes, them being painting, photography or construction related. My hope was also that that they would be complete descriptions, meaning not just links to external pages. We have no control over things posted elsewhere, posts here on LAF will live as long as the forum.

Unfortunately the title of this board has often been misunderstood as if the board is a place where to ask questions . Nothing wrong with that, but I see that more as something for the general Workbench board and not something which is of the same degree of general interest.

With this in mind, and with the recent general revamping of the forum taking place, I will do a few changes around here:
  • The board will change name to "Tutorials"
  • I will move all posts not being tutorials to "Workbench"
  • I will purge all dead links.
  • What remains of the Photobucked rot will be stamped out.
  • I will rewrite the Tutorial "Read First".
  • Whatever else I can come up with to seem busy and important.[/li

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Revamping "How to"
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 12:50:48 PM »
Thank-you - I will welcome that

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 02:55:05 AM »
Perhaps it would work to have people actually post the tutorials here in the workbench, then it could be moved into the actual archive after that. Perhaps have an automatic setup that would take the images from the post or posts moved and create a gallery upload for them as well to preserve them rather than dealing with alternate hosting?

Offline gweirda

• Librarian
    • Brawlfactory
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 06:08:56 AM »
I, for one, welcome my new tutorial overlords.   : )

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 07:24:29 AM »
Sounds like a plan  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 08:50:14 AM »
Sounds good! The Photobucket Rot thing is going to cause issues though! I’ve tried to change mine, so hopefully they still work, what about having a standard PM to send to those concerned to update their “How To...” or have their threads deleted?

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 09:04:13 AM »
Sounds good! The Photobucket Rot thing is going to cause issues though! I’ve tried to change mine, so hopefully they still work, what about having a standard PM to send to those concerned to update their “How To...” or have their threads deleted?

Really as much administration as fixing them myself. :)

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 11:28:42 AM »
Perhaps it would work to have people actually post the tutorials here in the workbench, then it could be moved into the actual archive after that.

+1

I always forget that the board in question exists (I'll go have a look at it now to see if there is anything good there I've missed). I (and I'm guessing others too) are much more likely to see these wonderful tutorials if they are posted here on the workbench first. They can then be tagged to be moved / copied over to the Tutorials board.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 11:34:41 AM »
I scan the Workbench board almost every day. I used to move good tutorials from Workbench and I shall return to that vigilance henceforth.

My hope is that the change of the title shall be a an encouragement for people to create more tutorials directly on the board.